2007 MLB Amateur Draft Thread

Flash Tizzle

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 03:55 PM)
So we're going to start mocking a team for what they do in the playoffs? I don't get this line of thinking by some on here. The Tigers are one of our main competitors....we didn't want them to add another top-line talent.

It has nothing to do with that. Its a bunch of people on here who get certain players stuck in there head and when the team dosent take them everyone gets pissy cause they didnt take "their" guy.

When none of us know who's the better pitcher. Cause we dont scout for months and months. We read a blog online. We've never gone and seen these guys pitch.

Edited by GoSox05

QUOTE(29thandPoplar @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 03:57 PM)
If the SS is still there, Jackson, they will take him is my guess.

I hope we pick Jackson. That would be an excellent 2nd round choice. From what I've read about him, he looks like a future stud.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 03:50 PM)
We always hear the excuse about how the Sox never have a high pick because of their good record over the last decade. Thus, that's why we never have the massive talents in our system. Now, we have the best high school pitcher in the draft fall into our laps if we want, and we don't take him.

Don't forget, we're not selecting until 89. No sandwich picks to worry about.

Why not attempt to add a high ceiling pitcher rated the #2 overall talent? So what, give him 8 million -- it's not my money. Do those within our organization not realize the arms within the division far exceed ours? We need immediate impact players to compete with those of Detroit and Minnesota. Not to mention Cleveland.

All I have to say is Aaron Poreda better not lose velocity or find himself in the bullpen.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

The real steal is going to be Andrew Brackman. He fell because of 1) Injuries and 2) Boras. But the kid has 3/4 good pitches and is a big righty throwing in the mid to high 90s.

The Yankees got a Top 10 talent at the bottom of the first round.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 03:59 PM)
Don't forget, we're not selecting until 89. No sandwich picks to worry about.

Why not attempt to add a high ceiling pitcher rated the #2 overall talent? So what, give him 8 million -- it's not my money. Do those within our organization not realize the arms within the division far exceed ours? We need immediate impact players to compete with those of Detroit and Minnesota. Not to mention Cleveland.

All I have to say is Aaron Poreda better not lose velocity or find himself in the bullpen.

I'm not going to get excited about Boras clients anymore. Guys like that are available to us every year, and we never take them. It's f***ing stupid, but the Sox never take them.

im getting a few thoughts out there here...people b**** about broadway being a 1st rounder and that hes not gonna be a top of the rotation guy...well its looking more and more like he will be a solid big leaguer (albeit a 4th or 5th starter) but c onsidering we got him at pick what, 20? thats not bad....if every first rounder turned into a #3 hitter or a #1 starter, there would be 30 new studs every year in the majors...right now broadway has a 3.20 ERA at AAA, and is still relatively young...no he doesnt' throw hard, but if he can be a #4 or 5 starter for this team for a few years, tahts a successful draft, and i think people around here dont realize that

second...has anyone mentioned poreda's command? 18 BB in 100 IP this year 28 BB in 112 last year. thats pretty outstanding for a guy who throws 96 from the left side....which i believe is the reason the A's wanted him...HR rate is also very solid, which probably suggests hes a GB pitcher. so basically the only reason people are bashing this pick is because we didnt get porcello.....well guess what...27 other teams didnt draft him either, why? not because they dont think hes good, but because they think that dollar for dollar there were better picks out there.

the only thing worriesome abotu poreda is his lack of Ks, but given the fact that his other peripherals are very good, ill be willing to bet that if he can develop his secondary stuff better (which clearly KW and co. are counting on) that he will pick up the Ks as he moves along

Edited by daa84

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 04:03 PM)
Makes the pick a little better for me to know that Poreda won't be 21 until October. We could have done worse. Now I really get to pray that Porcello makes it to UNC.

This raises an interesting point. It is going to take $$$ to keep Pocello from going to college. Detroit may have wasted a pick(which they will get back in new drafting rules) if Porcello decides he can make more $$$ after college and possibly be the #1 pick then.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 03:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hmmmm...

one plus pitch :whichway four plus pitches???

gee, which one has more upside?

Explain that to the other 10 teams that wanted nothing to do with him. Don't you think they know that? They obviously value the negoiation process a LOT more than our Mel Kipers here.

The upside isn't the point. What good is selecting a guy if he's not a lock to sign or you know it will be difficult?

Of course if the Sox are/were willing to give a prospect that kind of money ($3-5 million,) it's only natural that the b****ing about not spending that money on the major league team will start to arise.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 09:05 PM)
This raises an interesting point. It is going to take $$$ to keep Pocello from going to college. Detroit may have wasted a pick(which they will get back in new drafting rules) if Porcello decides he can make more $$$ after college and possibly be the #1 pick then.

Nope -- if Detroit doesn't sign them, they get the same pick in next year's draft as compensation.

Either way it's a win-win situation. That's okay, though, because at least the Sox won't be going over slot! Maybe we can even get Poreda for less than slot!

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 04:08 PM)
Explain that to the other 10 teams that wanted nothing to do with him. Don't you think they know that? They obviously value the negoiation process a LOT more than our Mel Kipers here.

The upside isn't the point. What good is selecting a guy if he's not a lock to sign or you know it will be difficult?

Of course if the Sox are/were willing to give a prospect that kind of money ($3-5 million,) it's only natural that the b****ing about not spending that money on the major league team will start to arise.

I would be willing to see the Sox cut payroll and spend it on player development.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 04:08 PM)
Josh Smoker is still available as well? He would have been a much better pick.

You might be right, but how do you know that. I mean how can ou tell which is going to be better in three years.

your point?

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 04:05 PM)
im getting a few thoughts out there here...people b**** about broadway being a 1st rounder and that hes not gonna be a top of the rotation guy...well its looking more and more like he will be a solid big leaguer (albeit a 4th or 5th starter) but c onsidering we got him at pick what, 20? thats not bad....if every first rounder turned into a #3 hitter or a #1 starter, there would be 30 new studs every year in the majors...right now broadway has a 3.20 ERA at AAA, and is still relatively young...no he doesnt' throw hard, but if he can be a #4 or 5 starter for this team for a few years, tahts a successful draft, and i think people around here dont realize that

second...has anyone mentioned poreda's command? 18 BB in 100 IP this year 28 BB in 112 last year. thats pretty outstanding for a guy who throws 96 from the left side....which i believe is the reason the A's wanted him...HR rate is also very solid, which probably suggests hes a GB pitcher. so basically the only reason people are bashing this pick is because we didnt get porcello.....well guess what...27 other teams didnt draft him either, why? not because they dont think hes good, but because they think that dollar for dollar there were better picks out there.

the only thing worriesome abotu poreda is his lack of Ks, but given the fact that his other peripherals are very good, ill be willing to bet that if he can develop his secondary stuff better (which clearly KW and co. are counting on) that he will pick up the Ks as he moves along

Good points. I already said I like this pick as well. He definetely fits the GB mode for the cell. His K's can also improve as well as his secondary pitches. He is still raw and very young. Not to mention he is a power lefty and it looks like were building on that. (Danks-Gio-Poreda) Again, I like the pick.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 09:08 PM)

Personally, I would have been so impressed if the Sox realized that they needed to put more money into player development due to the upcoming rebuilding that's going to have to be done.

You select him, take your chances signing him, and if you don't you get the pick next year.

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 04:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would be willing to see the Sox cut payroll and spend it on player development.

I wouldn't say "cut payroll," but "spending it in better places" is a better answer.

We didn't need to spend $3.9 million on two mediocre, grindy outfielders.

Edited by santo=dorf

I still can't believe we passed on Porcello. Money should not be a question here. I could see if we have 5 picks in the top 100 or something like that, but we only have 2. It is just stupid. I hate Boras as much as the next guy, but oh well. Give him the big bonus or the major league contract or whatever, and then have our future ace. Now the Tigers get Justin Verlander 2.0.