Flash Tizzle

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 03:26 PM)
What's the scouting report?

Easily signable I guess.

From MLB summary; Average until this year. Came out of nowhere, not very poised as he hasn't been very good.

A ONE PITCH PITCHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 95-96 MPH with sink.

So the yYanks get a stud young pitcher and the Sox get more AAA fodder.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 03:28 PM)
66 Ks in 99.2 IP...oh, it all makes sense now.

That's exactly it. I recall a week ago mentioning this line. He's nothing but a fastball pitcher at this point.

Looking fastball alone, this obviously was the choice. I just assumed the White Sox would search for someone with a more rounded repetoire, such as Griffith or Smoker.

QUOTE(IowaSoxFan @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 03:29 PM)
Great another f***ing incosistent college pitcher will little upside. Its time for KW and his staff to go.

Not one losing season in his tenure and one world series...

This kid hasn't thrown one pitch yet, but you're ready to fire everyone. Smart.

Thank God you're not running this organization or you'd be screaming for your own firing!

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 03:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He's got some pretty pathetic strike out numbers. Sounds like he might as well be Matt Thornton's brother.

That was my first thought as well.

So who do we take with our supplemental pick from the Royals for the Riske signing? Oh right.

Well it's not like we could use Riske anyways. Oh, we could??? :bang

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 03:30 PM)
his numbers are not what you would expect for a first rounder in a pretty s***ty baseball conference. 93 hits in 100 innings and only 66 k's. WTF?? He will be nothing more than another reliever.

Yeah, as I've said, I'm not too upset -- there certaintly is projectability. I would have loved to have Smoker or Griffith, though.

It's simple. If Poreda is a bust, we won't have to worry about the current collection of crosscheckers and scouts making any more decisions.

If Minnesota or Detroit picks Smoker, Griffith, Harvey, or Porcello, we may be in trouble for quite a long time.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 08:34 PM)
Yeah, as I've said, I'm not too upset -- there certaintly is projectability. I would have loved to have Smoker or Griffith, though.

It's simple. If Poreda is a bust, we won't have to worry about the current collection of crosscheckers and scouts making any more decisions.

If Minnesota or Detroit picks Smoker, Griffith, Harvey, or Porcello, we may be in trouble for quite a long time.

We're in trouble for quite a long time no matter who they pick. It's sad to see this organization draft like a cheap team just because Borchard tanked.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 03:34 PM)

So we're in trouble because God knows that Minny and Detroit actually have scouts that know what they're doing.

QUOTE(Felix @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 03:30 PM)
I don't like this pick. You need to have multiple pitches to succeed in the majors, and from what ESPN says, his secondary stuff isn't that good. I know that people seem to love the hard throwing pitchers, but personally, I'd rather you knew how to pitch with multiple successful pitches.

but...but...we have Yoda Cooper.

I'm not too happy with Poreda, but I'm not really too mad about the pick. I guess I have low expectations from the last couple of years. At least we got a guy with upside instead of a #4 starter.

Here's BA's take:

White Sox Add Power Arm

Posted Jun. 7, 2007 3:30 pm by John Manuel

Filed under: Draft Day: June 7

After two years of taking pitchers better known for strike-throwing rather than stuff, the White Sox took San Francisco lefty Aaron Poreda, who instantly becomes one of if not the hardest thrower in the organization. He’s topped out at 97 mph and has a big, physical frame, and fits in with the organization’s appreciation of lefthanders.

Imagine a future White Sox rotation with lefties John Danks, Mark Buehrle, Gio Gonzalez and Poreda in it . . . that’s not bad.

The A’s probably are fuming that Poreda’s off the board because he fills up the strike zone with power stuff, and would have been a nice find at 26. The A’s have taken high school players high the last couple of years, and Georgia lefty Josh Smoker–whose stock fell in late May–is the highest-ranked non-Boras client on the board.

The good news is Minnesota will not shell out the money for Porcello. Detroit and New York on the other hand...

Let's see Jason Strumm, Royce Ring, Scott Ruffcorn, Kris Honel, and Poreda