2007 MLB Amateur Draft Thread

Flash Tizzle

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 04:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You select him, take your chances signing him, and if you don't you, get the pick next year.

So you lose a year of developing a player. That also takes a year away from making that player a valuable trading chip.

So did all the teams before us make a pick that was better than the Tigers?

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 09:11 PM)
That's what I said. The only difference is that they wait a year to draft again.

And I don't see any problem with that. At the very least, by taking Porcello you're keeping him out of the hands of two of the better teams in the AL, the Yankees and the Tigers. And hey, if you don't sign him and he goes to play for UNC, you're drafting twice in the top 30 next year to add onto any supplemental picks from Dye, Iguchi and Buehrle.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 04:14 PM)
So you lose a year of developing a player. That also takes a year away from making that player a valuable trading chip.

I would sacrifice that year as part of a gamble for Porcello. It is all part of a gamble that the Sox are certainly in a position to take.

Edited by WHarris1

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 09:14 PM)

You can't compare the Sox to all of those other teams. Some of them had multiple first round picks and/or supplemental picks; some are in a much different financial situation than the Sox.

I'm looking at it like this -- the Sox are a team that should have the $$$ to pay for a player demanding big money. Financially they're in a pretty good spot, especially with a bunch of money coming off the books next season. Their next pick isn't until what, 89? I'm not seeing much of a reason why the Sox passed here.

5 years from now, white sox vs. tigers... Aaron Poreda vs. Rick Rocello. Rick Porcello shuts down the White Sox and Poreda gets his s*** rocked as the Tigers win the Central...

I am going to have nightmares of that for a while now.

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 04:05 PM)
I'm not going to get excited about Boras clients anymore. Guys like that are available to us every year, and we never take them. It's f***ing stupid, but the Sox never take them.

If Porcello is pitching well for Detroit alongside Miller and Verlander, it's Williams responsibility to find pitchers to match them. Whether from international scouting, trades, or devoting money to picks who slip in the draft.

He better do it, because I'm not any more confident about our future now than several hours ago.

The immense expectations for Poreda start right now for me. If Williams is willing to pass up Porcello at #25 knowing a competitor rests two spots below, he better be confident.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 04:15 PM)
And I don't see any problem with that. At the very least, by taking Porcello you're keeping him out of the hands of two of the better teams in the AL, the Yankees and the Tigers. And hey, if you don't sign him and he goes to play for UNC, you're drafting twice in the top 30 next year to add onto any supplemental picks from Dye, Iguchi and Buehrle.

:huh:

You approve of wasting a first round pick instead of picking the pitcher we got????...and Kenny's the bad GM, eh?

whats with the "keeping players out of other teams hands". The Sox should worry about them and no one else. YOu dont draft around what other teams are doing.

What if the Sox had taken Porcello and than he ends up going to North Carolina next year. The Tigers than draft someone else who goes to the hall of fame. Than what.

Its insane to think thats how teams draft.

Edited by GoSox05

I'm on your side on this one, trust me. :notworthy

... and as a side note, any supplemental picks next year must be non-Boras clients. I'm so sick of the s***.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 09:17 PM)
If Porcello is pitching well for Detroit alongside Miller and Verlander, it's Williams responsibility to find pitchers to match them. Whether from international scouting, trades, or devoting money to picks who slip in the draft.

He better do it, because I'm not any more confident about our future now than several hours ago.

The immense expectations for Poreda start right now for me. If Williams is willing to pass up Porcello at #25 knowing a competitor rests two spots below, he better be confident.

Especially since everyone was aware that there was a team that would take him before #30, and when you look at the teams that picked after us and before the Yankees, it was obvious it was the Tigers.

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 04:18 PM)

You approve of wasting a first round pick instead of picking the pitcher we got????...and Kenny's the bad GM, eh?

BUT YOU ARENT DEFINITELY LOSING IT.

Best case scenario: You sign the best high school pitcher in the draft.

Worse case scenario: You can't sign him and you get the same pick the following year.

And I would put my money on the best case panning out, but even in the event that it doesn't, all you lose is one year of development on one player.

Edited by WHarris1

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 09:18 PM)
You approve of wasting a first round pick instead of picking the pitcher we got????

Wasting? Who said anything about wasting?

WTF are you talking about? Do you bring anything unique to this thread at all? No? Oh, right, all you do is b**** about people who b**** about our GM -- not me -- making you just as bad as those very same people.

Christ, get a clue.

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 09:18 PM)

I approve of going all out for someone that you usually don't have a chance at (with that kind of talent) due to your average record.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 04:20 PM)
BUT YOU ARENT DEFINITELY LOSING IT.

Best case scenario: You sign the best high school pitcher in the draft.

Worse case scenario: You can't sign him and you get the same pick the following year.

So...it's ok to have NO pick this year to get the same pick next year???

This makes ZERO sense...ZERO.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 04:17 PM)

I agree with everything you said. I've always wanted the Sox to take Boras clients/spend money on international scouting. But I'm not going to get excited when I see a guy of Porcellos/Hochevars caliber because I know the White Sox won't take them.

I got one thing left to say, Aaron Poreda must put up some crazy numbers this year and move through the organization fast, or else, I don't know what I'm gonna do.

Seriously, does this guy not seem like Andrew Sisco part 2? Hard fastball but with no secondary stuff and some command issues.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 03:52 PM)
The line "... but was awkward and had suspect arm action." seems to suggest potential for future mechanical problems.

Keyword was. It sounds like he fixed his delivery, thus the improved velocity.

Also, Borbon just went off the board at 35 to Texas.

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 04:21 PM)
So...it's ok to have NO pick this year to get the same pick next year???

This makes ZERO sense...ZERO.

Yes it is ok, because chances are it doesn't even come to that. Chances are you sign the best mother f***ing high school pitcher in this draft. BUT in the chance that he doesn't sign you hardly lose anything...

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 04:20 PM)
Wasting? Who said anything about wasting?

WTF are you talking about? Do you bring anything unique to this thread at all? No? Oh, right, all you do is b**** about people who b**** about our GM -- not me -- making you just as bad as those very same people.

Christ, get a clue.

Pal, I have a clue.

I think having a player with a plus fastball with an excellent chance of signing with a good upside is better than wasting a pick so you can get another pick next year...which is your concept.

You need a clue.

Edited by RibbieRubarb

QUOTE(BearSox @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 09:21 PM)
I got one thing left to say, Aaron Poreda must put up some crazy numbers this year and move through the organization fast, or else, I don't know what I'm gonna do.

Seriously, does this guy not seem like Andrew Sisco part 2? Hard fastball but with no secondary stuff and some command issues.

He has good control. He's Matt Thornton Jr.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 04:21 PM)

Than dont watch the team! who cares. Your not gonna watch a team cause there first round pick has a ok year in single A.

Thats really being a ture fan. GO WATCH THE TIGERS THAN!!!!