I Had Fun at Wrigley Field

Gregory Pratt

I spent the night at Wrigley Field and it was some of the most fun I've ever had. More fun than at any Sox game this year and perhaps last year, too, which says a lot because I love the Sox and Comiskular but today's day was so much better. Mainly because of the people I was with who were fun as hell.

First of all, I was sitting to two Cub fans: one from Detroit, and one who looked like Ichiro Suzuki, along with my best friend (the reason we went was he's a HUGE Mariner fan and he's never gotten the chance to see them live and I said, "I'll take you, because it's unfair that you can't go because of money and I'll take you"). We sat about teasing about these people to our side, making jokes about players, sharing anecdotes and having a ton of fun. There were these hats given away to the first 20,000 or so and he said, "I'll barter with you guys. A hot dog and a beer for the hat" and I said, "Yeah." I was going to get a beer but then I said, "No, actually, forget it, get me a coke." Let's just say I didn't want him to get into any trouble. That's not the 100% truth but it was a part.

If he'd asked me for the hat, PERIOD (for free), I'd have given it to him, but he offered to barter and free food never hurts.

I peed in the sink at Wrigley. Twice. The urinals aren't urinals -- it's a giant tub-trough. I thought the sink was the tub so I peed in it.

When we were leaving Cubs Park, the people were high-fiving from different floors of the ramps yelling "GO CUBS!" and I started going, "GO BREWERS!" and putting my hand over the side and they'd yell with me and high-five me because they were so drunk. Way to live up to stereotype, Cub fans.

One guy said to me, "f*** you!" and flipped me off, and I said, f*** you!

There were these guys going, "Let's Go Cubbies -- f*** Suzeuski!" and I kept going, "WHO THE f*** IS SUZEUSKI?!"

You know, Wrigley's a nifty little place. I don't hate the stadium (though I'm not in love with it) and I loved the fans I was with, except the Suzeuskis and the random drunks.

Great night, though.

Pratt,

I really thought you were going to reveal yourself as the guy who killed the ivy a few years ago at Wrigley. Were it not for the park and the fans (what else is there?), going to a CUbs game would not be bad. ... My wife's school went to the Cubs-Brewers game in the spring and I she got all dressed up in Brewers stuff for the game before meeting me at the Cell that evening for an actual baseball experience. I like the Brewers because they are not the Cubs.

Edited by Greg The Bull Luzinski

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jun 13, 2007 -> 11:47 PM)
I spent the night at Wrigley Field and it was some of the most fun I've ever had. More fun than at any Sox game this year and perhaps last year, too, which says a lot because I love the Sox and Comiskular but today's day was so much better. Mainly because of the people I was with who were fun as hell.

First of all, I was sitting to two Cub fans: one from Detroit, and one who looked like Ichiro Suzuki, along with my best friend (the reason we went was he's a HUGE Mariner fan and he's never gotten the chance to see them live and I said, "I'll take you, because it's unfair that you can't go because of money and I'll take you"). We sat about teasing about these people to our side, making jokes about players, sharing anecdotes and having a ton of fun. There were these hats given away to the first 20,000 or so and he said, "I'll barter with you guys. A hot dog and a beer for the hat" and I said, "Yeah." I was going to get a beer but then I said, "No, actually, forget it, get me a coke." Let's just say I didn't want him to get into any trouble. That's not the 100% truth but it was a part.

If he'd asked me for the hat, PERIOD (for free), I'd have given it to him, but he offered to barter and free food never hurts.

I peed in the sink at Wrigley. Twice. The urinals aren't urinals -- it's a giant tub-trough. I thought the sink was the tub so I peed in it.

When we were leaving Cubs Park, the people were high-fiving from different floors of the ramps yelling "GO CUBS!" and I started going, "GO BREWERS!" and putting my hand over the side and they'd yell with me and high-five me because they were so drunk. Way to live up to stereotype, Cub fans.

One guy said to me, "f*** you!" and flipped me off, and I said, f*** you!

There were these guys going, "Let's Go Cubbies -- f*** Suzeuski!" and I kept going, "WHO THE f*** IS SUZEUSKI?!"

You know, Wrigley's a nifty little place. I don't hate the stadium (though I'm not in love with it) and I loved the fans I was with, except the Suzeuskis and the random drunks.

Great night, though.

The park is a dump. They have weeds on the walls, no jumbotron or technology what so ever. The average cub fan that goes to the park is a dope, who sings some silly song if they win and worries more about beer than the game. They believe in goats, curses and bartmans. The only reason, I mean the only one to go to a game there is to pick up girls. That is it.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 14, 2007 -> 09:30 AM)
The park is a dump. They have weeds on the walls, no jumbotron or technology what so ever. The average cub fan that goes to the park is a dope, who sings some silly song if they win and worries more about beer than the game. They believe in goats, curses and bartmans. The only reason, I mean the only one to go to a game there is to pick up girls. That is it.

Wrong.

It's Ivy, and it's unique. There's nothing wrong with the Ivy.

What's wrong with a throwback to the past? I don't mind it. I had to kid the guys that "Maybe this is why Dusty Baker left his pitchers in so long" when there was no pitch count anywhere, but it's no big deal.

I guess people don't drink at Sox games or sing. (Let's go go...)

The guys I was with didn't believe in Bartman goats or curses, although I tried to tease them into it.

Beautiful girls, though. Did my own flirting. Got asked to hang out but declined.

I guess we have to disagree. I used to hate Wrigley, and though I still enjoy the occasional Cub-fan bash, I'm not going to paintbrush everyone.

But let me tell you, since we're talking about the negatives of Wrigley...there were these guys there....talking about how much they love....Greg Walker...

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jun 14, 2007 -> 10:08 AM)
Wrong.

It's Ivy, and it's unique. There's nothing wrong with the Ivy.

What's wrong with a throwback to the past? I don't mind it. I had to kid the guys that "Maybe this is why Dusty Baker left his pitchers in so long" when there was no pitch count anywhere, but it's no big deal.

I guess people don't drink at Sox games or sing. (Let's go go...)

The guys I was with didn't believe in Bartman goats or curses, although I tried to tease them into it.

Beautiful girls, though. Did my own flirting. Got asked to hang out but declined.

I guess we have to disagree. I used to hate Wrigley, and though I still enjoy the occasional Cub-fan bash, I'm not going to paintbrush everyone.

But let me tell you, since we're talking about the negatives of Wrigley...there were these guys there....talking about how much they love....Greg Walker...

Its a dump. If few drinks and one night changes your mind on the dump, I can only imagine the possibilities if a season of losing on the southside and a season of winning on the northside will challenge you with. Maybe you should of kept the hat, and started to break it in. :P

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 14, 2007 -> 10:18 AM)
Its a dump. If few drinks and one night changes your mind on the dump, I can only imagine the possibilities if a season of losing on the southside and a season of winning on the northside will challenge you with. Maybe you should of kept the hat, and started to break it in. :P

I didn't have any drinks. And the fun I did have had little to do with the team -- it was the fans! It's always fun to be the antagonist. And someone had to counter the f*** Suzeuski chants. :P

It's not the best park I've been to but I had fun. It's not a bad place, IMO. Kind of charming. I'd have killed someone if I had to sit behind one of those poles, though.

And while I know you're kidding about me switching sides, don't, or I will have to call Greg Walker. :ph34r:

For the record, I think Wrigley Field TODAY > US Cellular Field before the renovations.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jun 14, 2007 -> 10:25 AM)
For the record, I think Wrigley Field TODAY > US Cellular Field before the renovations.

That's not saying much. I never really cared at the time cause I went to games so few times back then and was just happy to be there when I was there, but it was pretty damn ugly, pre renovations.

Edited by Rowand44

I went to my first game at Wrigley in about 10 years last Monday because a good friend of mine got bleacher seats and I said why not. I wore my Sox hat of course and got cussed out a lot by a group of drunks behind me. The girls were not beautiful, hell they weren't even cute and we're talking the bleachers. At Wrigley. In left-field. That is supposed to be heaven on earth.

Personally, I liked the atmosphere of the stadium as I walked in from the El. But as the game started, I would never had noticed the game had indeed began if I wasn't looking on the field because nobody around me gave a rats ass about the actual game. Soriano was messing around the whole time and not paying attention, very unprofessional I thought. After the game we all sort of stood around and they sang their song, it was like they didn't know how to react to a victory. Wrigleyville was packed after the game, and it took us forever to get out. Overall, I had a good time because of the friends I was with and I'll never go back unless I get free tickets or it's a Sox game.

What kind of BS is this? The top 3 topics are:

I Had Fun at Wrigley Field

Santo

Sammy Sosa

And 2 out of the next 3 are:

Jeff Samardzija to the bullpen

Michael Barrett Traded

Edited by SoxFan1

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 14, 2007 -> 09:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Uh, sure... if you like lesbians that much...

• 2 months later...

There I am, hanging in a dear friend's apartment in Uptown. We're talking about life and relaxing. We'd spoken before about how she needs to see Wrigley Field. (I think it's a beautiful park, the more I go there, and it's a great place to go, IMO, except for the team and fans, but that doesn't bother me too much.) Suddenly I say, "Let's go," and we wound up getting there at the start of the fifth inning.

We wound up in the third row, in the club section, right behind the Cubs bullpen. There's Kerry Wood, ten feet in front of me. Ohman. Howry. Dempster. And so we sit there, relaxing, enjoying the day and chit-chatting about baseball. Mocking the Cub fans. Laughing when they chant "Asshole! Asshole!" at Carlos Lee. Cheering Lee for his double and scoring. Enjoying the game though we're losing and I think we're going to lose.

And then the eighth starts and I say to D., "I'm going to try and heckle Dempster into a blown save. If I get us kicked out, will you be mad?" Laughter. "No, but, be careful." "Well, I'm not going to threaten his life or anything."

So I start when he gets up. First with You Sucks and then Your Team Sucks, First Place or Not and then all sorts of variations on "You Suck." Just screaming at him between pitches for the whole eighth inning and when the Cubs had two outs in the ninth I yelled at him, "It's almost time for you to suck, Dempster. But I guess there's always time to suck when you're Ryan Dempster!" ("That guy's harsh," said a Cub fan behind me.) There were these skinny, so-skinny-they're-somewhat-sickly-IMO girls in front of us and they hated me. So when I'd yell they'd meekly say, "Go Ryan!" and I'd yell louder that he's awful, "I don't care what your save percentage says, you're a fluke." And when he was leaving he shot me a dirty look. Gave me a dirty look a couple of times.

I'd like to believe that I heckled Ryan Dempster into giving up a homerun to Carlos Lee that left the park.

A friend of mine in Boston says he heckled Billy Koch into blowing a save. That was my inspiration, and I've never been that close to The Enemy's Bullpen at any park (I often sit behind the Sox dugout in the Cell) so I had to seize the dog.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Sep 1, 2007 -> 09:38 PM)
There I am, hanging in a dear friend's apartment in Uptown. We're talking about life and relaxing. We'd spoken before about how she needs to see Wrigley Field. (I think it's a beautiful park, the more I go there, and it's a great place to go, IMO, except for the team and fans, but that doesn't bother me too much.) Suddenly I say, "Let's go," and we wound up getting there at the start of the fifth inning.

We wound up in the third row, in the club section, right behind the Cubs bullpen. There's Kerry Wood, ten feet in front of me. Ohman. Howry. Dempster. And so we sit there, relaxing, enjoying the day and chit-chatting about baseball. Mocking the Cub fans. Laughing when they chant "Asshole! Asshole!" at Carlos Lee. Cheering Lee for his double and scoring. Enjoying the game though we're losing and I think we're going to lose.

And then the eighth starts and I say to D., "I'm going to try and heckle Dempster into a blown save. If I get us kicked out, will you be mad?" Laughter. "No, but, be careful." "Well, I'm not going to threaten his life or anything."

So I start when he gets up. First with You Sucks and then Your Team Sucks, First Place or Not and then all sorts of variations on "You Suck." Just screaming at him between pitches for the whole eighth inning and when the Cubs had two outs in the ninth I yelled at him, "It's almost time for you to suck, Dempster. But I guess there's always time to suck when you're Ryan Dempster!" ("That guy's harsh," said a Cub fan behind me.) There were these skinny, so-skinny-they're-somewhat-sickly-IMO girls in front of us and they hated me. So when I'd yell they'd meekly say, "Go Ryan!" and I'd yell louder that he's awful, "I don't care what your save percentage says, you're a fluke." And when he was leaving he shot me a dirty look. Gave me a dirty look a couple of times.

I'd like to believe that I heckled Ryan Dempster into giving up a homerun to Carlos Lee that left the park.

A friend of mine in Boston says he heckled Billy Koch into blowing a save. That was my inspiration, and I've never been that close to The Enemy's Bullpen at any park (I often sit behind the Sox dugout in the Cell) so I had to seize the dog.

Shoulda threatened his life.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Sep 1, 2007 -> 09:38 PM)

I want you to screw me...

Right here on the jagged rocks.

When Lee stepped up in the ninth, he was booed rigorously.

When he homered, everyone went quiet. I turned to the crowd, pointed at them and yelled, "Boo that one! Let's see you boo that one!" and nobody said anything to me within earshot. Nobody yelled anything, far as I can tell. But after the game, this man in front of me turned, put his fist up for me to "pound it" and asked me to be a "good fan" and accept losing. I said, "I'm not a fan of either of these teams. I'm not going to congratulate you because your bad team beat an even worse team." "Come on, man up!" and I declined. He asked D to pound it and she said no. We left shortly after but stood in the aisle watching the Cub fans celebrate.

When we were leaving: "Hey Chicago, what do you say?" "MILWAUKEE WILL WIN TODAY!"

"Hey, why don't they have the confidence to play this song BEFORE the game?"

Fun times.

• 3 weeks later...