Ozzie extension rumor

Al Lopez's Ghost

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I certainly don't have a problem with it. We're obviously going to see some changes with the personnel on the team, but I think it puts the Sox at an advantage to have the security of the manager position. Meaning, the potential newcomers don't have to wonder who they would be reporting to. It's been noted many times that players would like to play for Ozzie, so I feel this is a good move. Why not knock it out if you're planning on doing it anyway.

And as said in an earlier post - Ozzie isn't the problem.

QUOTE(SEALgep @ Jun 23, 2007 -> 02:08 PM)
I certainly don't have a problem with it. We're obviously going to see some changes with the personnel on the team, but I think it puts the Sox at an advantage to have the security of the manager position. Meaning, the potential newcomers don't have to wonder who they would be reporting to. It's been noted many times that players would like to play for Ozzie, so I feel this is a good move. Why not knock it out if you're planning on doing it anyway.

And as said in an earlier post - Ozzie isn't the problem.

Does it reallly matter when you're not going to go out and spend money in the FA market? Remember how everyone used to say every player dreamed of signing with the Cubs to play with Dusty Baker? That didn't really work out....players want the cash, and that's it.

I haven't posted in a while but i still read this board almost EVERY day! And let me tell everyone.....this is one of the hardest stretches i have seen in all my 26 years as a sox fan.......but i will say this If ozzie gets an extension i will welcome it with OPEN arms. I will admit that i am not happy with some of the moves he has made in some games but that is with every manager with every team. I still have faith in ozzie and i think we can turn it around this year (probably not to make the playoffs but to an at least respectable level) Heck when you have starting pitching that gives you a lead almost every game or at least keeps you in the game along with the miserable offense we have you can't blame the manager because the bull pen we have sucks! I love KW but he gets my vote for this one....KW brought these guys in and it failed. WE need to make a trade for 2 quality arms for the pen and we will be ok. The offense will not stay this way the whole year. I am predicting the sox will come out the gate after the allstar break beating up on everyone, and without a decent but not great bullpen it will all be for nothing. sorry to get off subject but go ahead JR and KW keep the OZ man here until 2011 because i am all for it!

Edited by spataro51

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 23, 2007 -> 02:16 PM)
Does it reallly matter when you're not going to go out and spend money in the FA market? Remember how everyone used to say every player dreamed of signing with the Cubs to play with Dusty Baker? That didn't really work out....players want the cash, and that's it.

Oh, by no means am I implying that we'll sign FA solely due to Ozzie's presence. But if the manager position is in question, that works against you at the bargaining table... All I meant was that players like to play for Ozzie, and it is just an advantage, not a determinent.

QUOTE(SEALgep @ Jun 23, 2007 -> 02:28 PM)
Oh, by no means am I implying that we'll sign FA solely due to Ozzie's presence. But if the manager position is in question, that works against you at the bargaining table... All I meant was that players like to play for Ozzie, and it is just an advantage, not a determinent.

And I'll repeat that the only sport where a coaches/managers contract position matters when someone chooses a team is in college recruiting. I don't think free agents are backing away from signing huge deals with the Astros because Phil Garner is a prick, etc. It's all about the money with free agents, and 99 pct of the time, they don't care who the coach is.

An example would be Carlos Zambrano. He'll be more likely to listen to a Sox offer due to his friendship with Ozzie....however, if a team like the Mets gives him more money than we offer, he'll go there 99 out of 100 times.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE(Craig Grebeck @ Jun 23, 2007 -> 07:48 AM)
This would be the most frustrating moment in my Sox life.

why? Because you fail to know enough about the struggles of this team your only answer is to get rid of one of the better managers in the game?

Ozzie Guillen needs a bench coach that can help him manage the game and know the opponent. Baines seemed to be good at this and even Raines but there have been more than one time where simple moves were flat wrong.

Pagan's average from one side of the plate v. the other

Relief pitchers that were brought in for the LH/RH where the pinch hitter that was brought in was a worse Sox match-up (see Toronto Saturday game)

I think Cora is not a good bench coach and adds to the debacle of this season.

Guillen does some things very well and should stick around.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 23, 2007 -> 10:49 AM)
why? Because you fail to know enough about the struggles of this team your only answer is to get rid of one of the better managers in the game?

No, because his cute, old timey understanding of the game has an adverse effect on our GM. s*** like Erstad/Pods will reign on the Southside through 2011.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Jun 23, 2007 -> 11:23 AM)
Ozzie Guillen needs a bench coach that can help him manage the game and know the opponent. Baines seemed to be good at this and even Raines but there have been more than one time where simple moves were flat wrong.

I agree with this thought process a ton. Jerry Manuel seemed to be a decent manager when it came to in game moves, albeit he micromanaged a ton, but I wonder how much of that was him and how much of it was Joe Nossek. Joey Cora is on the bench right now because he wants to become a manager some day, but a manager in training is really no true help to the team itself.

It's one thing to manage with your gut, but when your gut is sometimes illogical - as Ozzie's has been at times, though I can't fault him for this season - it's an entirely different story. I really think a wise body with decades of experience would really help both Ozzie and the players out.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jun 23, 2007 -> 08:33 PM)
You're also the #1 Ozzie hater, so...

Yep....and I'm still waiting for him to get the ship righted. Do you believe he should be brought back if this team loses 100 games this year? Is it possible that maybe the media stories circulating outside of this city are right that the players have tuned him out? You and I have no clue....but this is ridiculous right now.