Compensation picks

NCsoxfan

QUOTE(NCsoxfan @ Jun 23, 2007 -> 05:17 PM)
I am not very familiar with the compensation pick system. If we were to lose Buerhle and Dye, how many picks would we receive and would they be 1st rounders or "sandwich" picks? How does it work?

I suspect both qualify as Class A free agents, meaning that if we offer them arbitration and they sign with another team we get a first rounder and a sandwich pick. However, if the team's first round pick is in the top 10 or 15 spots, we'd get a second rounder instead.

QUOTE(Jeremy @ Jun 24, 2007 -> 01:13 AM)
I suspect both qualify as Class A free agents, meaning that if we offer them arbitration and they sign with another team we get a first rounder and a sandwich pick. However, if the team's first round pick is in the top 10 or 15 spots, we'd get a second rounder instead.

Correct. And yeah, if a team has a pick in the 1-15 range, then we'd get their second and a sandwich pick. If it's 16 or after, we'd get their 1st round pick and a sandwich pick.

But lets say the Cardinals finish with one of the 15 worst records in baseball then in the offseason they sign both Mark Buehrle and Torii Hunter. The Sox could end up with a sandwich pick and a 3rd rounder as compensation.

EX. The Giants finished with one of the 15 worst records in baseball last year but ended up signing 2 type A free agents in Barry Zito and Dave Roberts this offseason. The A's got the Giants' 2nd rounder and the Padres got their 3rd.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 24, 2007 -> 01:45 AM)
But lets say the Cardinals finish with one of the 15 worst records in baseball then in the offseason they sign both Mark Buehrle and Torii Hunter. The Sox could end up with a sandwich pick and a 3rd rounder as compensation.

EX. The Giants finished with one of the 15 worst records in baseball last year but ended up signing 2 type A free agents in Barry Zito and Dave Roberts this offseason. The A's got the Giants' 2nd rounder and the Padres got their 3rd.

Yep, that could happen, which would suck. However, I don't think there are too many FA's this offseason that would be considered better than Buehrle. More than likely, we'd be getting the 2nd rounder in that type of scenario, unless the team that signs Mark also signs Ichiro.

QUOTE(dasox24 @ Jun 23, 2007 -> 09:09 PM)
Yep, that could happen, which would suck. However, I don't think there are too many FA's this offseason that would be considered better than Buehrle. More than likely, we'd be getting the 2nd rounder in that type of scenario, unless the team that signs Mark also signs Ichiro.

Keep in mind, Buehrle finished below .500 last season with a 5 ERA and 1.45 WHIP. They use a 2 year window to judge free agents so if Mark does finish with a 4+ ERA this season he could fall a bit.

QUOTE(bkmoney @ Jun 23, 2007 -> 09:35 PM)
yea i dont know that everyone uses the 2 year window thing.. just one example is gary mathews jr.

Major League baseball designates a player's compensatory value based on their production the 2 years before they hit free agency. Hence the only reason why Dye will be a Type A free agent.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 23, 2007 -> 11:09 PM)
Considering how awful our draft picks have been, I'd rather take the upper-echelon prospects.

The problem of course is that you're not going to get that from Dye at this point. Buehrle's likely though.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 23, 2007 -> 09:38 PM)
Major League baseball designates a player's compensatory value based on their production the 2 years before they hit free agency. Hence the only reason why Dye will be a Type A free agent.

And the reason why Buehrle isn't going to be a Type A free agent. Mark had a 5 ERA last season, and only won 12 games while striking out 98 batters the whole season. He'll probably have a 3.30-3.50 ERA and 8-11 wins this year with 12-14 losses based on horrible run support. If we don't trade him, and he walks we'll lose him for nothing. Kenny has to make a final offer within the coming weeks and if he declines, then adios, and thanks for the memories.

QUOTE(southsida86 @ Jun 23, 2007 -> 11:45 PM)
And the reason why Buehrle isn't going to be a Type A free agent. Mark had a 5 ERA last season, and only won 12 games while striking out 98 batters the whole season. He'll probably have a 3.30-3.50 ERA and 8-11 wins this year with 12-14 losses based on horrible run support. If we don't trade him, and he walks we'll lose him for nothing. Kenny has to make a final offer within the coming weeks and if he declines, then adios, and thanks for the memories.

There's going to be a grand total of 3 very good free agent starting pitchers on the market after this season, Buehrle, Zambrano and Jennings, it isn't exactly stiff competition. Meaning all Buehrle has to do is fall within the top 20 percent of free agent starting pitchers (or is it pitchers? I'm not sure not that it matters there aren't many good relievers either) to qualify as a Type A free agent . A typical Buehrle season this year should put him in the top 20%.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 24, 2007 -> 12:05 AM)
There's going to be a grand total of 3 very good free agent starting pitchers on the market after this season, Buehrle, Zambrano and Jennings, it isn't exactly stiff competition. Meaning all Buehrle has to do is fall within the top 20 percent of free agent starting pitchers (or is it pitchers? I'm not sure not that it matters there aren't many good relievers either) to qualify as a Type A free agent . A typical Buehrle season this year should put him in the top 20%.

I misunderstood the top 20% thing. I thought that in order for a player to qualify as a type A free agent they had to be top 20% in all of baseball, players already under contract included. However what you said makes more sense now that I think about it because how in the hell would Frank Catallanato(sp?) be considered a type A free agent if that was the case?

QUOTE(southsida86 @ Jun 24, 2007 -> 12:13 AM)
I misunderstood the top 20% thing. I thought that in order for a player to qualify as a type A free agent they had to be top 20% in all of baseball, players already under contract included. However what you said makes more sense now that I think about it because how in the hell would Frank Catallanato(sp?) be considered a type A free agent if that was the case?

If it were top 20% in all of baseball there would be 2 or 3 sandwich picks every year as opposed to the 30 or so there are now. :D

Yeah, I'm not sure there's going to be much of an issue when it comes to Mark and Jermaine's compensatory value.