KW Speaks about Buehrle's NTC

Al Lopez's Ghost

QUOTE(spiderman @ Jul 2, 2007 -> 08:00 PM)
Secondly, I'm sick of this story. Let's get this done Kenny.

I was sick of the story on Friday.

This should be Buehrle's last start if there's no intention of agreeing on the language of a NTC. It needs to end; this distraction is annoying me as a fan.

Either trade him or sign him. By tomorrow. You've had enough time to talk, and probably enough time to talk with other general managers. End it now, Williams.

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(GOD @ Jul 2, 2007 -> 09:41 PM)
Hey since all this started we are 7-1 (assuming we win tonight). So keep it up Kenny

Unfortunately, even with a victory, we're 12.5 out of the division lead and 10.5 out of the wildcard with six teams to jump. He'll have to continue speaking about the NTC for another month for any hope to ressurect.

QUOTE(quickman @ Jul 2, 2007 -> 06:56 PM)
Good question are you saying that is not the number?

I'm saying I can't believe that's the number. I have not asked anyone anything. It's uncomfortable to even be around them at this point.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Jul 3, 2007 -> 03:29 AM)
Steve Phillips on BBTN said this evening that KW thinks they can work out a deal with Buerhle. Contreras seems likely to be traded.

Nice to know Phillips can read an article and make it sound like his own insight.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jul 2, 2007 -> 11:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Kenny, Rotoworld is on to you....

If there really is only an 18 month window then that doesn't seem to bad for either side. A full no trade would be nice for Buehrle to have, but this is pretty good protection for Buehrle. As long as he pitches good he has nothing to worry about. If we are this upset about him being traded now, I think KW would take a lot more heat if Buehrle was pitching good and traded later. I think we as fans would see it as a total lack of loyalty and would be calling for his head even more than we already are. If he is pitching bad I can see a lot of fans telling KW to get rid of him, much like the 2nd half of last year. Buehrle pitches good and he will stay - that is the best no trade clause he can have.

Maybe all these leaks are just a show. Maybe MB and KW are letting the contract at these numbers slip out because they want other teams to think that signing MB will come cheap if they trade for him. Then a team will be willing to give up a little more for MB. After the season he then chnages his mind and wants more money and signs with the Sox for a deal that has just been negotiated.

Very unlikely, but that would be a pretty shrewd way of driving up the value of a rental pitcher.

Now, I understand why the Sox don't want to give a full NTC, as then they'd have to deal with other players trying to obtain that right during negotiations. However, if Buehrle is willing to take such a discount to play for the squad and have a NTC, then couldn't they use that as a precedent when negotiating with someone like Garland? You know, if you're willing to give up some money and years, then we can give you an option like a NTC? I know this line of thinking is probably pointless, as I don't believe that the Sox have no intentions of trying to deal him in the next few years, even if they do re-sign him.

QUOTE(IowaSoxFan @ Jul 3, 2007 -> 01:04 PM)
Maybe all these leaks are just a show. Maybe MB and KW are letting the contract at these numbers slip out because they want other teams to think that signing MB will come cheap if they trade for him. Then a team will be willing to give up a little more for MB. After the season he then chnages his mind and wants more money and signs with the Sox for a deal that has just been negotiated.

I don't believe a single comment I read yesterday by either KW or Buehrle.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 3, 2007 -> 01:55 PM)

Eggggggggggggggggggggggstactly... now some people are starting to get it (not implying that you didn't fathom, just making the point).

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 3, 2007 -> 08:55 AM)
Now, I understand why the Sox don't want to give a full NTC, as then they'd have to deal with other players trying to obtain that right during negotiations. However, if Buehrle is willing to take such a discount to play for the squad and have a NTC, then couldn't they use that as a precedent when negotiating with someone like Garland? You know, if you're willing to give up some money and years, then we can give you an option like a NTC? I know this line of thinking is probably pointless, as I don't believe that the Sox have no intentions of trying to deal him in the next few years, even if they do re-sign him.

I know collusion has come previously in this discussion but do think that KW when he talks to the various GM's discuss what they feel the market will dictate for an upcoming offseason. I would assume these discussions would involve only those GM's he trusts. For instance while on the phone with Omar they discuss the fact that Omar is going to go 7/$140M to secure Zambrano while Omar may say I wouldn't give Buerhle more than 5/$75. There is a part of me that believes these guys will work together TO A DEGREE to keep the market in control while you'll have some situations where a team will over mortagage to save an offseason and create a positive spin toward next year (Zito and Soriano). KW may already have a good gauge as to what this offseason is going to look like and that is why he is going toward a certain direction.

I suppose I could be incredibly naive as well.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jul 3, 2007 -> 09:00 AM)
Eggggggggggggggggggggggstactly... now some people are starting to get it (not implying that you didn't fathom, just making the point).

I don't see the benefit of the whole charade though? The team looks worse the more thay talk here instead of simply saying that Buerhle wants to much money and too many years we suck and it is time to trade him case closed everyone moves on. In the offseason though if he signs for 4/$60 becasue Zito has scared everyone off, then wwhat do the Sox do?

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jul 3, 2007 -> 09:00 AM)

You know I'm starting to think there's something to this. In that, it seems like KW/Buehrle genuinely like each other and they almost both know he's gonna stay, but perhaps they're using the media to negotiate by floating their terms out there.

Also known as a "stalking horse" or "trial balloon."

Just a theory. But it all does seem a bit odd, doesn't it?

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Jul 3, 2007 -> 07:20 PM)
You know I'm starting to think there's something to this. In that, it seems like KW/Buehrle genuinely like each other and they almost both know he's gonna stay, but perhaps they're using the media to negotiate by floating their terms out there.

Also known as a "stalking horse" or "trial balloon."

Just a theory. But it all does seem a bit odd, doesn't it?

I think it's the opposite, and they both know they're not going to get a deal done, so they're making it very public as to what their position is on the important issue. Is it bad that I agree with every thing Marrioti said in his article today? Yes, it's time for the Sox front office to catch up to the 21st century way of making deals.

QUOTE(29thandPoplar @ Jul 3, 2007 -> 07:43 PM)
It's not surprising in the least.

I have been consistent, let's wait until we see what happens before we start condemning one way or the other. How about you?

I'm still waiting to see what happens, but I think KW has to be very careful what he says in the press. Ozzie's comments about how the same people cheering for Buehrle were the ones booing him last year were pathetic.

QUOTE(29thandPoplar @ Jul 3, 2007 -> 07:43 PM)
It's not surprising in the least.

I have been consistent, let's wait until we see what happens before we start condemning one way or the other. How about you?

FWIW, I hate Marrioti.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 3, 2007 -> 03:06 PM)
I'm still waiting to see what happens, but I think KW has to be very careful what he says in the press. Ozzie's comments about how the same people cheering for Buehrle were the ones booing him last year were pathetic.

FWIW, I hate Marrioti.

Quite frankly, I just want something to happen. I think we will get some good player(s) in return if we trade him and if we don't then he will stay. I would be more excited if he leaves just because there will be a change to the rotten team I am currently watching. I also think if we do trade him then it will open the door for more trades. Which again excites me. We are a very bad team right now.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 3, 2007 -> 08:06 PM)
Ozzie's comments about how the same people cheering for Buehrle were the ones booing him last year were pathetic.

Oh come on... you don't have to go any further then this site to know that Ozzie was RIGHT ON with that comment, and this is supposed to be the hard core fan's site (or sites). It's absolutely a spot on quote.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jul 3, 2007 -> 08:22 PM)
Oh come on... you don't have to go any further then this site to know that Ozzie was RIGHT ON with that comment, and this is supposed to be the hard core fan's site (or sites). It's absolutely a spot on quote.

There's just no reason for him to even comment on that. It was a great site last night seeing people support Buehrle like they did. Buehrle would probably be the first person to admit that he deserved to get that treatment from the fans during the 2nd half of last year. The funny thing is I really don't remember Buehrle getting booed that much last year.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 3, 2007 -> 08:24 PM)
There's just no reason for him to even comment on that. It was a great site last night seeing people support Buehrle like they did. Buehrle would probably be the first person to admit that he deserved to get that treatment from the fans during the 2nd half of last year. The funny thing is I really don't remember Buehrle getting booed that much last year.

Well I wasn't THERE to see it, but I certainly saw enough on this very site to make me sick from most of you so-called "fans" (no, not YOU, fathom, but a hell of a lot of you that read this stuff). I also remember a game or two on TV that you could hear the boobirds clear as day, and in fact, I seem to remember a lot of people relishing (on this site, again) about booing the players.

Should Ozzie have said it? Meh, I'm indifferent, but it's spot on. How soon we all forget things, good and bad.

Im not going even worry about it. It's life and happeneds to everybody. It's not going be the first time we want someone back very badly. Can't wait till next offseason with Jon Garaland and Joe Crede. If it goes to what this is, then it's going be alot posting on those pages as well. I remenber the whole Maggs thing as well. It just going be dragged out. Hopefully soon this mess get done or traded.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jul 3, 2007 -> 01:28 PM)
Should Ozzie have said it? Meh, I'm indifferent, but it's spot on.

If something HAS to be said, you know that Ozzie's going to be first in line. :lolhitting

How soon we all forget things, good and bad.

Yeah, judging from some of the recent posts here, it's difficult to believe that the Sox won a World Series just recently and that Kenny Williams significantly contributed to it.

QUOTE(diegotony06 @ Jul 2, 2007 -> 03:04 PM)
Don't try to paint me as a fair weather fan cause I'm not. Never have been and never will be. If anything I'm too passionate about this team.

One thing I have learned is to never mistake anger for passion. Anger is just that, anger.