KW Speaks about Buehrle's NTC

Al Lopez's Ghost

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jul 2, 2007 -> 04:46 PM)
Mark will end up with a $14-16 million per year contract. Gee, we offered him one, supposedly. And that's not Zito money. So what point did I miss?

You missed nothing. I said the same damn thing last week and I was laughed at. The offer to help Mark pack still stands. Doesn't seem so far fetched now, does it...

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(NYSox35 @ Jul 2, 2007 -> 05:31 PM)
I see your points, I just think that at the start of this, most of us thought it'd take 5 years $75 million to get him signed (at least).

When the #'s about 4 years 56 million came out, I couldn't believe my ears and thought it was a great deal.

I understand the idea of loading a pitcher, I just think it should be JC or JV instead of Mark like many on the board have suggested. Why not build around Mark, JG and Danks going forward? That's just me though.

i agree only if the payroll were 115 million. its not. I think as i mentioned in another thread or maybe it was this one. The whitesox will determine how they will rebuild based on this contract. if buerhle is moved then others will be as well. The trick will be to get some real good pieces in return. Cleveland spent the last three years rebuilding there team, they put together a young team making some nice trades and bringing up some home talent. They suffered for many years of low attendance an now they are competing big time and have a very nice fast and competitive team. The window is very short to get competitive and compete in the division again. The fan based will fade fast. If we keep buerhle then we will try to keep garland and trade Jose and even Vasquez. if we lose buerhle, then I believe we will trade garland in the off season. The sox can go eitherway.

QUOTE(diegotony06 @ Jul 2, 2007 -> 10:40 PM)
On a side note:

PODS back on th DL

Glass boy does it again. :angry:

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 2, 2007 -> 10:41 PM)
You missed nothing. I said the same damn thing last week and I was laughed at. The offer to help Mark pack still stands. Doesn't seem so far fetched now, does it...

:lolhitting :lolhitting :lolhitting

Oh, sorry. Just laughing at you again.

:lolhitting

:)

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jul 2, 2007 -> 05:43 PM)
Glass boy does it again. :angry:

:lolhitting :lolhitting :lolhitting

Oh, sorry. Just laughing at you again.

:lolhitting

:)

Jeesh, even I can't defend the poor guy anymore....

As for the Buehrle contract, I truly believe Kenny realizes he's going to have to offer Jon whatever he offers Mark, and he doesn't want to have them both with full NTC clauses.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 2, 2007 -> 06:41 PM)

Why would he sign at such a discount only to risk being shipped out?

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Jul 2, 2007 -> 05:32 PM)
I agree with Quickman. If Buehrle signs with the Sox without the NTC he will get dealt. The Sox have a shot at being historically bad in 2008 and 2009, and shedding veteran contracts will happen those 2 years. Even if not traded, why would he want to play for such bad teams. Go sign with a team that will be competitive.

Also, given the restrictions the Sox place on signing pitchers they need to trade Garland ASAP. He's not going to sign a 3 year deal either and having him in 2008 isn't do anything for the Sox. Every day that goes by diminishes his value. He should be able to bring back someone like Kemp.

actually I think if Mark signs the contract the Sox will not trade him at all. In fact I think they will continue to put some added pieces in and try to win now. The no trade clause gives the whitesox an out if they need it, and it limits no trade clauses in future contracts. Thats all. Eitherway this club needs to get younger, faster and tighter. I just want this thing done soon so we know which way the sox will go. Eitherway a pitcher will be gone by the trade deadline and so will dye.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 2, 2007 -> 10:44 PM)
You're not that far away ya know.... :stick

1,000 miles gets a little too close sometimes. But I had to... the door was open so I had to shut it. :huh :D

The next couple of days could get interesting again. It seems like the overatures are getting nicer again. We'll see.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jul 2, 2007 -> 03:45 PM)
As for the Buehrle contract, I truly believe Kenny realizes he's going to have to offer Jon whatever he offers Mark, and he doesn't want to have them both with full NTC clauses.

And that's why Kenny's not going to offer Jon an extension if he and Mark agree to terms.

The should name the AL DL after Pods and the NL DL after Prior and Wood(s).

As far as Buerhle leaving money on the table, I don't think there's any doubt if he has a second half like his first half he would be able to get more than 4 years and more than $14 million if that is accurate. If he gets hurt like a lot of people think is inevitable, he would be leaving money on the table. Take Bartolo Colon . He signed for 4 years with the Angels. If he had just taken 3 at the same price, there is no way he would have been able to get what he's being paid this year on the open market due to his surgery. If Buerhle has an injury that ends his career, any additional money he could have signed for would have been "left on the table".

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jul 2, 2007 -> 05:53 PM)
And that's why Kenny's not going to offer Jon an extension if he and Mark agree to terms.

actually I think he will offer them an extension if he signs mark. Most likely he will do this in the off season. Tehn he will get rid of both jose and vasquez. build around Burhel garland and danks.

QUOTE(quickman @ Jul 2, 2007 -> 05:56 PM)
actually I think he will offer them an extension if he signs mark. Most likely he will do this in the off season. Tehn he will get rid of both jose and vasquez. build around Burhel garland and danks.

I think this is the most likely scenario, although I think he will only trade JC before the deadline and then Vazquez will stay. Buehrle and the Sox would have to haggle at the end of the year, then, and that could be pretty difficult to re-sign him. But a good thought, quickman.

Nice. I like it...

[snip]

Here's your Scott Podsednik AL Disabled List...

And, here's your NL Mark Prior NL Disabled List...

Brought to you by the Kerry Wood Arm Surgery Center.

Do you play hard like the Darin Erstad's of the world? ...

[/snip]

Oh what fun.

QUOTE(quickman @ Jul 2, 2007 -> 06:56 PM)

To me, this is the optimal plan. I'd like to hang on to JV too, but if finances dictate it, I'd be fine with 2 of Floyd/Broadway/Gio/Egbert/Russell to go along with the 3 you named.

QUOTE(NYSox35 @ Jul 2, 2007 -> 10:59 PM)
To me, this is the optimal plan. I'd like to hang on to JV too, but if finances dictate it, I'd be fine with 2 of Floyd/Broadway/Gio/Egbert/Russell to go along with the 3 you named.

Russell is not even close to being a possibility right now. If anything, they should try to make him into a righty set-up man.

QUOTE(quickman @ Jul 2, 2007 -> 03:56 PM)

Jon is most likely not going to accept another three-year extension. Given that, Mark and Jon will cost the Sox somwehere around $110 million in guaranteed money. Given that the Sox almost never sign pitchers to four-year deals, giving TWO of them four-year deals would be absolutely unprecedented.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 2, 2007 -> 03:56 PM)
It seems like there's a 99 pct chance that Buehrle and Garland won't re-sign with the Sox now. At least we'll get to watch Vazquez strike out 7 each game and give up 4 runs.

Vazquez's 3.95 ERA and 1.14 WHIP are looking pretty good right now.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 2, 2007 -> 07:02 PM)
Russell is not even close to being a possibility right now. If anything, they should try to make him into a righty set-up man.

Yeah, his #'s don't look that hot this year.

What do you think of Broadway, Egbert or Gio as a #5 if Floyd was the #4?

QUOTE(Beastly @ Jul 2, 2007 -> 05:57 PM)
I think this is the most likely scenario, although I think he will only trade JC before the deadline and then Vazquez will stay. Buehrle and the Sox would have to haggle at the end of the year, then, and that could be pretty difficult to re-sign him. But a good thought, quickman.

Beast, Buerhel will be signed now ( this week or next) or he won't be signed at all. that simple. Not sure you understand my point, but that is ok. All of this is crap anyway and not worth our time even though we give it our time!

QUOTE(NYSox35 @ Jul 2, 2007 -> 05:59 PM)

Now for the next argument! Eggy won't make it, Broadway has a long way to go, Floyd will be given every op but will be dissapointing, russell will never make it, gio will be in e pen replacing thornton. I am not very pleased with the sox farm. Lets see if it comes true.

QUOTE(diegotony06 @ Jul 2, 2007 -> 03:36 PM)
KW is on CTL, he said he is optimistic the MB will get signed. He said he regrets that so much of the contract has been made public, but it is what it is. He says that the NTC basically the only point in the contract that he wouldn't be protected by the NTC would be in the middle of the contract, maybe 18 months. But he says he is optimistic about him signing so I guess we are just gonna have to wait and see.

Awesome. Ya, his 10/5 rights kick in so it sounds like the Sox are going to try and have a window where they can move Mark, but are going to tell him the only way this happens is if something un-forseen happens.

I'm still optimistic a deal gets done.

QUOTE(diegotony06 @ Jul 2, 2007 -> 03:36 PM)
KW is on CTL, he said he is optimistic the MB will get signed. He said he regrets that so much of the contract has been made public, but it is what it is. He says that the NTC basically the only point in the contract that he wouldn't be protected by the NTC would be in the middle of the contract, maybe 18 months. But he says he is optimistic about him signing so I guess we are just gonna have to wait and see.

Awesome. Ya, his 10/5 rights kick in so it sounds like the Sox are going to try and have a window where they can move Mark, but are going to tell him the only way this happens is if something un-forseen happens.

I'm still optimistic a deal gets done.

Given the quotes from KW in the Trib article, I feel a bit better about it getting done. Seems like he is optimistic, and that he has no desire to sign and trade.

KW is of course known for sometimes obfuscating the message, but, in this case, he is saying these things TO MB, so I doubt he'd be dishonest. I think they all want to get it done.

First off, although it may be White Sox policy not to go beyond 3 years, that doesn't mean that it's reasonable. I happen to agree that it is a smart policy, but if every other team in the league goes 4 years+, why should Mark Buerhle take this as the White Sox bending over backwards to sign him - shouldn't that be seen only as the White Sox being realistic ?

Secondly, I'm sick of this story. Let's get this done Kenny.