Official Recruiting Thread II

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 14, 2014 -> 08:48 AM)
When that happens, it does give the impression the parent(s) are looking for a little something for themselves.

Eh, maybe. Of course until you are a parent in that situation we dont know what its like. Not to mention having reporters hounding you all day long every day. They are bound to catch you saying something stupid at some point.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 14, 2014 -> 08:07 AM)
Irrational fan base opinion: he loved illinois from the start, he got dissed, and he had every opportunity to tell Groce & Co. no thanks, no longer interested. But he didn't and his dad's comments make it seem like all is forgiven. The dude's a coach, he knows how this stuff works. It was s***ty of Groce not to give him a "sorry but this other kid committed" call, but that's the past.

The fact that his dad said he thought they should have called first to see if they wanted the scholarship...LMAO. Yes, hold on, let me offer you when you can't sign for another year and won't get here for another year, and I'll pass on someone that will commit and sign in a few months. Recruiting doesn't run through you.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 14, 2014 -> 09:09 AM)
Eh, maybe. Of course until you are a parent in that situation we dont know what its like. Not to mention having reporters hounding you all day long every day. They are bound to catch you saying something stupid at some point.

Agreed. When you're being asked questions by reports, "we" are involved in the decision.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Feb 14, 2014 -> 01:35 PM)
The fact that his dad said he thought they should have called first to see if they wanted the scholarship...LMAO. Yes, hold on, let me offer you when you can't sign for another year and won't get here for another year, and I'll pass on someone that will commit and sign in a few months. Recruiting doesn't run through you.

I guess when I first read it I took it as "give us a chance to commit along with Snider before being done with the recruitment." But re-reading it I think you're right.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 14, 2014 -> 02:49 PM)
Agreed. When you're being asked questions by reports, "we" are involved in the decision.

"We" are involved in the decision, but "we" are not going to school. Jalen Brunson is.

I get that when you're speaking, especially to reporters, words get mixed up. But based on the entire tone of that piece, it makes sense to read that line as he really does think "we" are going to a university.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Feb 15, 2014 -> 01:54 PM)
"We" are involved in the decision, but "we" are not going to school. Jalen Brunson is.

I get that when you're speaking, especially to reporters, words get mixed up. But based on the entire tone of that piece, it makes sense to read that line as he really does think "we" are going to a university.

Agreed. Lot of Dads think they are the agent for the whole thing, and are way more important than they are. I get that vibe here.

QUOTE (SleepyWhiteSox @ Feb 22, 2014 -> 04:39 AM)
Great Curie win in 4 OTs over Whitney Young. They got their first city championship ever. Congrats to Coach Oliver who's been there for 19 years.

I'll be back at Chicago State to watch my alma mater in the Catholic League championship.

Isn't that at University of Chicago? Which is your school? Mt Carmel or De La Salle?

And sorry, those were the worst coached OTs ever.

Edited by Brian

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 22, 2014 -> 06:35 AM)
Isn't that at University of Chicago? Which is your school? Mt Carmel or De La Salle?

And sorry, those were the worst coached OTs ever.

Hmm it's at Chicago State according to the De La Salle website and maxpreps. I know the previous rounds were at U of Chicago, though. It'll suck if I make that trip for no reason lol

I'm a De La Salle alum.

And I didn't mind the strategy of holding out for the last shot. I just wanted to see the ball in Cliff's hands a lot more, especially once Paul White fouled out after Okafor already had.

Regardless, I consider Oliver and Slaughter great coaches.

QUOTE (SleepyWhiteSox @ Feb 22, 2014 -> 01:56 PM)
Hmm it's at Chicago State according to the De La Salle website and maxpreps. I know the previous rounds were at U of Chicago, though. It'll suck if I make that trip for no reason lol

I'm a De La Salle alum.

And I didn't mind the strategy of holding out for the last shot. I just wanted to see the ball in Cliff's hands a lot more, especially once Paul White fouled out after Okafor already had.

Regardless, I consider Oliver and Slaughter great coaches.

That's the thing though. Okafor and White fouled out and you ignore Cliff and play tight.

I'll give you Slaughter but Oliver has never won anything and every ref hates him.

Brandon Hutton is one of my fav prep players to watch. Wall to wall energy. Think Wisconsin wants him.

You're right. It's at Chicago State.

Edited by Brian

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 24, 2014 -> 01:58 PM)
Who was the ineligible player, was it him?

I'm assuming he's one of them because only 5 were eligible.

He "barely" qualified this year which leads me to believe that could be bs.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 24, 2014 -> 02:49 PM)
Damn. All from an anonymous phone call?

3 other CPS schools are about to be declared ineligible for tournament in addition to whatever happens to Curie. That game vs Whitney Young almost didn't happen and only did to avoid a riot.

/prepares to get kicked in the face. Don't pick up an Illinois hat beforehand and I'll consider it a success.

Following recruiting is just awful. Not getting excited pre-announcement ever again. Although maybe I should change that to not getting excited until post LOI has been confirmed as in.