Official Recruiting Thread II

I also heard that Je'Ron Stokes' visit went very well.

Btw, Illinois better not steal Stokes from me...

Stokes isn't going to Illinois and I would be shocked if he sticks with Tennessee. Expect him to end up in Ann Arbor. Unless, Zooker can keep filling his head about he'll never get the ball at Michigan.

OSU hoping to add Boyd to this list tomorrow at 5pm

I hope they do. Makes no sense to me that a kid like that would want to come in right behind Pryor, but I'm good with that because that just increases the chances for Michigan getting Devin Gardner in 2010.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jelani Jenkins (2nd best LB), Manti Te'O (3rd best LB), and Dre Kirkpatrick (best DB) are all between USC and 2+ schools.

They also have gotten committments already from Matt Barkley (best QB), Vontaze Burfict (best LB), Devon Kennard (the best DE), and Patrick Hall (2nd best "ATH"). Kennard picked USC this morning, per sportingnews.com.

All the parentheses stuff is from rivals.com.

Edited by whitesoxbrian

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jan 27, 2009 -> 08:39 PM)
Jelani Jenkins (2nd best LB), Manti Te'O (3rd best LB), and Dre Kirkpatrick (best DB) are all between USC and 2+ schools.

They also have gotten committments already from Matt Barkley (best QB), Vontaze Burfict (best LB), Devon Kennard (the best DE), and Patrick Hall (2nd best "ATH"). Kennard picked USC this morning, per sportingnews.com.

And this is different from any other year how?

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jan 27, 2009 -> 08:39 PM)

Not bad. Maybe this will help your crying/whining ass coach get over his former QB bolting for the NFL.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 12:35 AM)
Ronnie Wingo chooses Arkansas. Very disappointing. I thought we had him.

He chose Ark over Mizzou.

I don't think her wanted to go to Illanoy or Minnesota because they have new offensive coordinators.

KU was in his final 5, i love the growth.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 12:15 AM)
Tajh Boyd to Clemson... Didn't even know they were an option. Thought it was Ohio St or Oregon, but I stopped following his recruitment when Kiffin told him he wouldn't fit in our pro-style offense.

PLaying time. Oregon has 5 QB's, OSU has the Big Ten leader in passer rating returning and starting for at least 2 years. Looks like its UM vs OSU for Gardner

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 12:42 AM)
Not bad. Maybe this will help your crying/whining ass coach get over his former QB bolting for the NFL.

Wouldn't you be mad if you knew that if your QB stayed, you'd be likely playing for the national title next year?

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Jan 27, 2009 -> 10:15 PM)
And this is different from any other year how?

I don't recall a time when they had about 6 or 7 recruits in the top 25 coming in and it could end up being 10 or so.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 03:27 PM)
Wouldn't you be mad if you knew that if your QB stayed, you'd be likely playing for the national title next year?

Maybe in private I'd be a little disappointed. But this is college football. You should ALWAYS be prepared for a guy leaving early. He acted like a straight up little girl.

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 01:17 AM)
He chose Ark over Mizzou.

I don't think her wanted to go to Illanoy or Minnesota because they have new offensive coordinators.

KU was in his final 5, i love the growth.

Going by what I read/heard it appeared we had a legitimate shot. But we all know how these kids can say one thing one day and totally flip-flop the next (not that I'm mad. I understand how difficult a decision it is to pick a school). I'm not too broken up about it. The guy I REALLY want is Michael Buchanan.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 03:27 PM)

I don't recall a time when they had about 6 or 7 recruits in the top 25 coming in and it could end up being 10 or so.

Well, they WOULD have to rebuild a great deal of their defense, but in all honestly, in the BCS era how often does USC not compete for the national title?

And USC has a top class every year, its not really out of the ordinary to get top players again. And I see USC with 8 out of the top 100 with 5-5star players, thats pretty standard for them isnt it?

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 03:41 PM)
Well, they WOULD have to rebuild a great deal of their defense, but in all honestly, in the BCS era how often does USC not compete for the national title?

And USC has a top class every year, its not really out of the ordinary to get top players again. And I see USC with 8 out of the top 100 with 5-5star players, thats pretty standard for them isnt it?

That really has nothing to do with it. Mark Sanchez is a grown man and made a grown man's decision based on what he thought was best for him and his family. Who the hell is Pete Carroll to criticize?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 03:45 PM)
That really has nothing to do with it. Mark Sanchez is a grown man and made a grown man's decision based on what he thought was best for him and his family. Who the hell is Pete Carroll to criticize?

Well Pete Carroll knows a little thing about football and he has gotten plenty of kids to the NFL, so thats who he is to criticize. Also most scouts believe that Sanchez would benefit greatly by spending another year in college too.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 04:41 PM)

USC so far has the 5th (Barkley), 8th (Burfict), 9th (Kennard), 19th (Hall), 30th (McDonald), 39th (Carroll), 86th (Graf), 99th (Jeffrey), and 100th (Martinez) players all committed, with the 10th (Jenkins), 11th (Kirkpatrick), 12th (Te'O), 62nd (Charles), 63rd (Su'a Filo), and 67th (Patrick) all still are considering USC.

It's been awhile since that's happened, IIRC.

Obviously, all those guys won't be good, play much and/or start, or stay at USC, but that's a damn good class. To be losing your 3 starting LB's and to be getting the best LB, and having the 2nd and 3rd best LB's considering the school, is nice. They will have a damn good DE combo in Griffen and Kennard (if he pans out), and their whole OL is back.

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 05:50 PM)
Well Pete Carroll knows a little thing about football and he has gotten plenty of kids to the NFL, so thats who he is to criticize. Also most scouts believe that Sanchez would benefit greatly by spending another year in college too.

Thank you. That's what I was trying to get at.

Edited by whitesoxbrian

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 02:50 PM)

Carroll is still a douche for pulling what he did. A guy spends four years at your school/program, gives you a year of very good play, and decides he wants to go pro and your response is to act like a baby and s*** all over his news conference? Pete is just upset because he is not used to seeing his QBs leave early, and this puts a big dent in their plans for next year because they have no one on the roster with any real playing experience at the QB position. He can doubt Sanchez's decision all he wants, but he should do it behind closed doors and not in front of the media at the press conference Sanchez called to announce he is going pro.

Edited by hawksfan61

QUOTE (hawksfan61 @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 05:58 PM)
Carroll is still a douche for pulling what he did. A guy spends four years at your school/program, gives you a year of very good play, and decides he wants to go pro and your response is to act like a baby and s*** all over his news conference? Pete is just upset because he is not used to seeing his QBs leave early, and this puts a big dent in their plans for next year because they have no one on the roster with any real playing experience at the QB position. He can doubt Sanchez's decision all he wants, but he should do it behind closed doors and not in front of the media at the press conference Sanchez called to announce he is going pro.

I'm actually of the same opinion that Tressel is and that is if a player is going to get first round money, you should support them and recommend they leave.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 05:12 PM)
USC so far has the 5th (Barkley), 8th (Burfict), 9th (Kennard), 19th (Hall), 30th (McDonald), 39th (Carroll), 86th (Graf), 99th (Jeffrey), and 100th (Martinez) players all committed, with the 10th (Jenkins), 11th (Kirkpatrick), 12th (Te'O), 62nd (Charles), 63rd (Su'a Filo), and 67th (Patrick) all still are considering USC.

It's been awhile since that's happened, IIRC.

Obviously, all those guys won't be good, play much and/or start, or stay at USC, but that's a damn good class. To be losing your 3 starting LB's and to be getting the best LB, and having the 2nd and 3rd best LB's considering the school, is nice. They will have a damn good DE combo in Griffen and Kennard (if he pans out), and their whole OL is back.

Theres going to be alot of young talent on the field when we meet in the Shoe next season.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 04:09 PM)
I'm actually of the same opinion that Tressel is and that is if a player is going to get first round money, you should support them and recommend they leave.

Agree 100%, especially in football. Mark Sanchez could blow out his knee against Oregon next year and never play football again, which amounts to losing tens of millions of dollars. But hey, at least then Pete Carroll would approve of his decision to come back for that all important 5th year!

I'd say there is very little chance USC lands either Kirkpatrick or Jenkins. I also agree that Carroll poorly handled the press conference with Sanchez. Even if he disagreed with his decision, he basically showed up his own player, which in my mind doesn't send a good message to the rest of his team. I think what he may have lost sight of is draft position. Sanchez's position this year relative to other QB's is much better than what it might be next year. It seems to me he felt like with McCoy and Bradford staying in school this year, this was his opening and I tend to agree with him.

You can argue that draft position is more relative to his talent than how many other players are at his position, but I don't believe that's completely true. I can't argue with his choice at all.

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 04:50 PM)

Well, who really gives a s*** what Carroll or the scouts think? Is Sanchez the only player in college football history to go pro when others thought he should have stayed longer? Does Urban Meyer turn into a little b**** if Tim Tebow had decided to bolt early? All Pete cares about is what Sanchez leaving does to his chances of winning a national title next year. That is all.

Edited by Jordan4life