Official Recruiting Thread II

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coach Kill isn't messing around. We had a recruit in here this weekend who cancelled a visit to Florida (and he has an offer from the Gators) to be in DeKalb. Now I understand that he probably did this because he'd be a benchwarmer in Gainesville, and a candidate to start as a freshman here, but the symbolism of such news makes me feel good, even if this kid doesn't end up going to NIU.

http://highschoolsports.nola.com/news/arti...ted-to-alabama/

WAVE OF OPTIMISM: Curtis defensive back Kenny Cain, a member of the TP Top 25 Blue Chip List, traveled to DeKalb, Ill., this weekend for an official visit to Northern Illinois of the Mid-American Conference, Curtis Coach J.T. Curtis said. Cain is scheduled to travel to Arkansas next weekend with a tentative mid-week trek to TCU before making his final visit to Tulane, Curtis said. Cain was scheduled to visit Florida this weekend and still has an official offer from the Gators, but he opted to cancel the trip given the unlikelihood of him choosing the national champions as a final destination.
Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 18, 2009 -> 11:51 PM)
Coach Kill isn't messing around. We had a recruit in here this weekend who cancelled a visit to Florida (and he has an offer from the Gators) to be in DeKalb. Now I understand that he probably did this because he'd be a benchwarmer in Gainesville, and a candidate to start as a freshman here, but the symbolism of such news makes me feel good, even if this kid doesn't end up going to NIU.

http://highschoolsports.nola.com/news/arti...ted-to-alabama/

Coach Kill is definitely a coach that will be successful no matter where he goes. He rightfully used SIU as a stepping stone and could see him using NIU the same way.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jan 23, 2009 -> 02:18 AM)
Well technically he hasn't signed yet, high school players can't sign until February 4th. Not sure if that is what he was talking about or not though.

I know that, the original link did not have verbal in his profile. The article should clear up that confusion. Nothing to see hear, move along!

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jan 23, 2009 -> 02:18 AM)
Well technically he hasn't signed yet, high school players can't sign until February 4th. Not sure if that is what he was talking about or not though.

Technically they can, if they enroll in January. Michigan has 7 players already enrolled in school and all have signed letters of intent.

Your point was correct, however.

Craig Drummond to Ole Miss. If you want to know the real reason why the SEC is the best conference in America, a guy like Drummond is it. There is no way in hell he'd EVER get into a Big 10 school (which is the real reason he isn't going to Illinois), so he just verbals to Ole Miss instead and I can almost guarantee you he'll qualify and get on the field in short order down there. That's not me being bitter or angry either, it's just the truth, skip every class is a perfect nickname for that league.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 26, 2009 -> 03:49 PM)
Craig Drummond to Ole Miss. If you want to know the real reason why the SEC is the best conference in America, a guy like Drummond is it. There is no way in hell he'd EVER get into a Big 10 school (which is the real reason he isn't going to Illinois), so he just verbals to Ole Miss instead and I can almost guarantee you he'll qualify and get on the field in short order down there. That's not me being bitter or angry either, it's just the truth, skip every class is a perfect nickname for that league.

You are correct sir. He "decommitted" from Illinois because of his grades and immediately was told no by several other schools in the conference. The SEC consistently brings in a ton of kids that cant make grades and is ok with the large amount of non-eligible kids year after year, its not really taboo down there.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 26, 2009 -> 03:49 PM)

Pretty much sums it up. I also read that Michael Buchanan is supposed to make a decision tonight? Landing him would more than erase the sting of losing out on Drummond. I also heard that Je'Ron Stokes' visit went very well. So we shall see. I hate the last couple weeks leading up to signing day. It's really exciting and at the same times drives you insanely mad.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jan 26, 2009 -> 04:49 PM)
That's the whole thing with almost all SEC schools, especially in Mississippi, Louisiana, Alabama and Florida. I remember when I was applying to schools down there, like Miami and U of Florida, Alabama, LSU, their standards were much much lower to get into.

Alot of those schools literally will offer a ton of players scholarships because they know that 10-15 of them wont qualify academically.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 26, 2009 -> 04:53 PM)
Pretty much sums it up. I also read that Michael Buchanan is supposed to make a decision tonight? Landing him would more than erase the sting of losing out on Drummond. I also heard that Je'Ron Stokes' visit went very well. So we shall see. I hate the last couple weeks leading up to signing day. It's really exciting and at the same times drives you insanely mad.

Buchanan would be a great addition, he is also a pretty smart kid (football wise) so he may end up being better than Drummond who despite a ton of talent has a melon for a head. You never know how those kids turn out. Look at Martez Wilson, a great talent, but he can't get the mental game and isn't effective. Could be the same for Drummond.

As long as we win football games, I really don't care what grades the players are making. It's not hurting my overall school's reputation as an academic institution. And if it is, it's a minimal effect at best. And as long as I'm graduating from the University of Tennessee Business School with a degree in Logistics, one of the Top 10 Logistics programs of any school, public or private, I'm pretty happy. Yeah, the Big 10 has higher standards, but as football fans, wouldn't you rather put out a better team?

Honestly, if your team could be like Florida or Ohio St right now, who are you taking? I think that's a pretty easy answer. Rock, your answer doesn't count, lol

Btw, Illinois better not steal Stokes from me... :P

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jan 26, 2009 -> 07:43 PM)
Buchanan would be a great addition, he is also a pretty smart kid (football wise) so he may end up being better than Drummond who despite a ton of talent has a melon for a head. You never know how those kids turn out. Look at Martez Wilson, a great talent, but he can't get the mental game and isn't effective. Could be the same for Drummond.

I concede that Wilson did disappoint somewhat. But it was his first year as a starter. I expect a much better year in '09.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jan 26, 2009 -> 09:38 PM)
As long as we win football games, I really don't care what grades the players are making. It's not hurting my overall school's reputation as an academic institution. And if it is, it's a minimal effect at best. And as long as I'm graduating from the University of Tennessee Business School with a degree in Logistics, one of the Top 10 Logistics programs of any school, public or private, I'm pretty happy. Yeah, the Big 10 has higher standards, but as football fans, wouldn't you rather put out a better team?

Honestly, if your team could be like Florida or Ohio St right now, who are you taking? I think that's a pretty easy answer. Rock, your answer doesn't count, lol

Btw, Illinois better not steal Stokes from me... :P

What sense does that make, anyone in the country would pretty much take Florida over their program.

And for logistics, do you mean shipping, as in DH Robinson stuff? I honestly have never heard of that program and I went to a very business program focused school.

Blackshear transferred from curie to morgan park, with his AAU coach.

Kids transferring from one high school to another so frequently is terrible, in my opinion. High school coaches shouldn't be allowed to be recruiting kids from other high schools.

It'll piss me off if any De La Salle kids transfer too...

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 27, 2009 -> 04:07 PM)
And for logistics, do you mean shipping, as in DH Robinson stuff? I honestly have never heard of that program and I went to a very business program focused school.

It's pretty common. A lot of schools have Operations or Supply Chain Management programs, and logistics falls into that category.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 27, 2009 -> 04:07 PM)
What sense does that make, anyone in the country would pretty much take Florida over their program.

I'm just saying that Florida is an SEC school, which a lot of people like to rag on b/c they let in guys who might not get into other places, like some Big 10 schools. Wouldn't you rather have easier academic admission standards for your football team so they could do the same thing too?

As for logistics, Ohio St has it. I'll assume the program at OSU is probably called Supply Chain Management, though (as mentioned in the post above me). It's really the same thing.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jan 27, 2009 -> 05:11 PM)
I'm just saying that Florida is an SEC school, which a lot of people like to rag on b/c they let in guys who might not get into other places, like some Big 10 schools. Wouldn't you rather have easier academic admission standards for your football team so they could do the same thing too?

As for logistics, Ohio St has it. I'll assume the program at OSU is probably called Supply Chain Management, though (as mentioned in the post above me). It's really the same thing.

I dont know, I didnt go to OSU, they may. We probably would want our schools to open up their admissions to get some of those kids in, but quite simply it wouldnt be much more frowned upon than it is in the south especially in the SEC. It simply just wont happen nearly as much.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 26, 2009 -> 07:40 PM)
Alot of those schools literally will offer a ton of players scholarships because they know that 10-15 of them wont qualify academically.

Exactly. Auburn had 30 signees in 2007 and 29 last year. At least 7 or 8 didn't qualify. So they send them to prep schools hoping the kid will remember who stood behind them when they didn't make it and sign with them after a year of prep school. Alabama had 32 signees last year.