Our 2008 Outfield

JohnCangelosi

Gonzalez-Rowand-Sweeney

Rowand will take $7-8 mill a year to come back to Chicago, Gonzalez is a piranha, and KW remembers the Sox are rebuilding.

And anyone that talks about Owens hitting .320 for a month and using that as justification for him as a starter has to be absolutely kidding themselves. Seriously, if one f***ing month turns a player from piece of the trash heap to starting material then oddammit, let's trade Sweeney for Timo goddamn Perez again. Do you not recall the .339/.413/.500/.913 he put up in June of 2004?

More seriously, it's ONE GODDAMN MONTH; Owens is and never will be anything more than a 4th outfielder for a good team or fringe starter for a bad team; if you want him to start, I really thank God KW is the GM amd Ozzie is the manager.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rowand should be in CF at $7.5 mill a year. Sweeney should have one of the corner spots. The other spot should be addressed in a trade for a young guy who can steal bases and hit for avg.

Owens is a 4th OFer who should be on the sox bench for 2008.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jul 20, 2007 -> 07:23 AM)
All of these outfields look simply horrible.

I hate to say it- but we may consider resigning Dye to a 3 yr deal and DH him in the 3rd yr when Thome is gone...

With two other good outfielders in Center and Left (have no clue who it will be) we may be able to get away with it defensively.

The question is, will Dye sign a 3yr/24m dollar deal with us? In this market it may be a bargain if he can get his sh&* back together and start to hit again.

Otherwise, we are stuck overspending for a Rowand or Hunter (and still need to address our SS and 2B assuming Guch leaves) and pray to god that Sweeney is ready or risk it all on Erstad staying healthy which would be a major risk.

At this point I think BA is out of the picture and I have the feeling Fields is staying at 3B. If we need to fill our outfield with the guys we currently have we're in major trouble.

The only other option I see is to trade Garland for a SS and OF in some type of package deal?

QUOTE(Wanne @ Jul 20, 2007 -> 12:52 AM)
Was this supposed to be in green? Dude....seriously.

GOHOP.JPG

no, cause I am a huge fan of his bat, and I could live with him in LF until after 08 when Thome leaves, then we could place him as the DH.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jul 20, 2007 -> 05:19 AM)
Gonzalez-Rowand-Sweeney

Rowand will take $7-8 mill a year to come back to Chicago, Gonzalez is a piranha, and KW remembers the Sox are rebuilding.

And anyone that talks about Owens hitting .320 for a month and using that as justification for him as a starter has to be absolutely kidding themselves. Seriously, if one f***ing month turns a player from piece of the trash heap to starting material then oddammit, let's trade Sweeney for Timo goddamn Perez again. Do you not recall the .339/.413/.500/.913 he put up in June of 2004?

More seriously, it's ONE GODDAMN MONTH; Owens is and never will be anything more than a 4th outfielder for a good team or fringe starter for a bad team; if you want him to start, I really thank God KW is the GM amd Ozzie is the manager.

KW and Oz do want Owens to start though...

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 20, 2007 -> 02:55 AM)
I'm fairly certain Fields will not be in the outfield in 2008.

If Joe Crede is ready for Spring Training, and I think all indications thus far are that he will be, the Sox will want him in the lineup if he's not outrighted this offseason. That way they at least can give him a chance to either rebuild some trade value or push himself back into the "B" or even "A" level FA categories when he walks.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 20, 2007 -> 10:19 AM)
No way they'd put Owens in CF if Rowand is on the team. Those three would be Owens-Rowand-Sweeney.

I wasn't really putting them in order from left to right but i can see why you would think that. my bad, and i agree rowand would be in center.

If hunter is going to be 12-14 Mil per year at 5 years or so there is no way Rowand gets more than $10. You should be able to get both rowand and Byrnes for something between $8-$10 per year (backloaded).

Ichio(sp) just inked a deal for 90mil now granted that some of it is differed.. But still that is the market value for CF. Rowand is not going get less than 10mil esp with the number of teams that need a CF, and limited supply of quality ones.. even if Rowand is a decent CF.

personally I don't want to see him back, we need to rebuild this roster.. bringing him back does nothing for us.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jul 20, 2007 -> 04:19 AM)

That one month is also half of his MLB career. He has a shot to prove it's not a fluke. I'm not writing him off, that would be foolish.

Another option for LF next year could be Reed Johnson. He'll be a FA after 2007. He's been hurt this year and just came off the DL in early July. Yet he's been able to hit .300/.360/.441 at the leadoff spot the last three years. Plus he hits LHP esp. well. And he's good friends with Rowand, attending Cal State and working out with him in the offseason. Seeing how Rowand coming back seems like a good fit, why not another reunite with a guy like Johnson.

Johnson would be relatively cheap, making $3 mill. in ARB this year, and could get something like $ 4 mill a yr for 2 years plus an option. He fits in with the sox FA gambles like they did with Dye.

Edited by beck72

QUOTE(SoxFan77 @ Jul 21, 2007 -> 10:18 PM)
Beck, I love that idea.. Someone that can lead-off play LF and cheap.. Man that sounds like a nice little idea.

Thanks. With Rowand probably a sure thing to sign, why not also sign a guy who has played college ball and is friends with Aaron? From all I've heard and read, Johnson is also a "grinder" and hard worker. I'm sure Aaron would give him a good recommendation to Kenny and the sox.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jul 21, 2007 -> 08:40 PM)
Thanks. With Rowand probably a sure thing to sign, why not also sign a guy who has played college ball and is friends with Aaron? From all I've heard and read, Johnson is also a "grinder" and hard worker. I'm sure Aaron would give him a good recommendation to Kenny and the sox.

Rowand is looking at a ~$50M pay day after this season, the Sox can't afford anything close to that. I really don't think Rowand signing here is anywhere near a sure thing.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 22, 2007 -> 01:42 AM)
Rowand is looking at a ~$50M pay day after this season, the Sox can't afford anything close to that. I really don't think Rowand signing here is anywhere near a sure thing.

Rowand is likely to get $7, 8 mill a year. Probably a 3 yr deal. He's likely to be the highest paid free agent they'll target. And the sox should get a home town discount.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jul 21, 2007 -> 08:59 PM)
Rowand is likely to get $7, 8 mill a year. Probably a 3 yr deal. He's likely to be the highest paid free agent they'll target. And the sox should get a home town discount.

Why should Rowand get any less than what Gary Matthews got last offseason?

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 22, 2007 -> 02:03 AM)
Why should Rowand get any less than what Gary Matthews got last offseason?

Because teams are getting burned by all those wasted big dollar contracts for mid level guys. The few stars will get their money--Arod is sniffing glue if he thinks he'll get $30 mill. Yet guys like Rowand won't get the extreme dollars that guys like Roberts, Matthews got last year.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jul 21, 2007 -> 09:18 PM)
Because teams are getting burned by all those wasted big dollar contracts for mid level guys. The few stars will get their money--Arod is sniffing glue if he thinks he'll get $30 mill. Yet guys like Rowand won't get the extreme dollars that guys like Roberts, Matthews got last year.

Teams have been getting burned for years yet Barry Zito just got a little more than 1/8 of a billion dollars to suck for the next 8 years, Jason Schmidt and Dave Roberts are making more combined than the entire Marlins roster and Juan f***ing Pierre is getting $45M to get on base in 31% of his PAs.

Nothing is going to change next year, Eric Byrnes and Aaron Rowand will demand Matthews money and some one will pay up, Torii Hunter and Andruw Jones will get larger contracts than Johnny Damon did 2 years ago and all will be merry until the first injury of '08.

Rowand is putting up a .924 OPS, the highest of any CF in baseball, he's outproducing '06 Gary Matthews Jr. in every offensive category while playing similar defense and supplying pretty good speed. He's a very popular player in both the media and with the fans and he's 3 years younger Little Sarge. There's no reason for his best offer to be $24M, none at all.

Vernon Wells inked a 7 year, $126M deal just last season, Ichiro just got $100M 2 weeks ago and Eric Byrnes' agent is already throwing Gary Matthews' name around.

Teams are just going to stop paying up for the best free agents.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 21, 2007 -> 09:38 PM)
Nothing is going to change next year, Eric Byrnes and Aaron Rowand will demand Matthews money and some one will pay up, Torii Hunter and Andruw Jones will get larger contracts than Johnny Damon did 2 years ago and all will be merry until the first injury of '08.

I pretty much agree. Rowand is playing himself out of the Sox price range. And that might not be bad -- I think he's probably a lot closer to a .750 OPS player from here on out than .900. The wild card is how much Rowand wants to a be a Sox. If he's willing to take 4yr/$28M deal, the Sox might do it (just don't get picky about a NTC Aaaron...). I think he probably won't give the needed discount will end up back in PHI.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Jul 21, 2007 -> 09:52 PM)
I pretty much agree. Rowand is playing himself out of the Sox price range. And that might not be bad -- I think he's probably a lot closer to a .750 OPS player from here on out than .900. The wild card is how much Rowand wants to a be a Sox. If he's willing to take 4yr/$28M deal, the Sox might do it (just don't get picky about a NTC Aaaron...). I think he probably won't give the needed discount will end up back in PHI.

The scary thing about Rowand is, he's still not slowing down. Since the break (34 AB) he has 9 2B, 2 HR and a .500/.553/.941/1.494 line. I thought he was going to drop off at the start of May, then again at the beginning of June but he's still going strong through July, with only 2 months to go there's a damn good chance he finishes with a .900+ OPS and if that happens I have no idea what kind of deal some desperate team could offer him.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 21, 2007 -> 10:02 PM)
The scary thing about Rowand is, he's still not slowing down. Since the break (34 AB) he has 9 2B, 2 HR and a .500/.553/.941/1.494 line. I thought he was going to drop off at the start of May, then again at the beginning of June but he's still going strong through July, with only 2 months to go there's a damn good chance he finishes with a .900+ OPS and if that happens I have no idea what kind of deal some desperate team could offer him.

Well, he did it before in 2004 -- that was great year for him. Excellent D and .900 OPS in CF. This year is actually more impressive in that his BB rate has skyrocketed. He's one away from matching his career high. I wonder what the difference is...Anyway, I still can't dismiss the 05-06 seasons which made him look like a career .740ish OPS guy in good hitters parks. I'm still pretty sure that's the level of performance to expect. Maybe he is better than that but I wouldn't put money on another OPS over .800.

Anyway, I'm happy for him. He obviously works hard at his job & he's going to get greatly rewarded for that.