Does Owens stink?

greg775

My gawd, you're right.

Even backup catcher is a big time necessity.

If KW can clean up this mess in one offseason I will be amazed and very happy.

We're possibly the second worst team in the AL. How can he clean up this mess?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(greg775 @ Aug 19, 2007 -> 10:27 PM)
My gawd, you're right.

mike111-1.jpg

My gawd, you're right.

mike111-1.jpg

:lolhitting :lolhitting :lolhitting

Edited by TheBigHurt

QUOTE(greg775 @ Aug 23, 2007 -> 06:19 PM)
Considering he's made some nice catches of late and has some good games, the question remains, is he a starter next year or not?

There are still 2 questions that need to be answered to answer that one:

1. Can he hit like .260 or .270 or so the rest of the year and start to show an improving eye at the plate (i.e. more patience, a-la him in the minor leagues)

2. Can we find a better option, perhaps in a trade, this offseason?

He goes 0 for his next 30, and you sort of have to send him back to AAA next year and find somethign to replace him. He keeps hitting at least with a decent average, and he'll probably wind up penciled in at least with an OF spot, because we need 2 OF's for next year and he's very cheap. If you trade Garland and come back with some wonderful OF prospect, no idea who, then you go ahead and send him to AAA or use him as a backup OF/PR.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Aug 23, 2007 -> 08:19 PM)
Considering he's made some nice catches of late and has some good games, the question remains, is he a starter next year or not?

You can make a sort of checklist of what you'd want out of a non-power hitting CF (in order of importance)...

--Good or better OBP (forget AVG)

--At least solid CF defense, preferably plus

--Basepath skills (stealing, taking extras, speed)

--Extras (bunting, situational hitting, flexible to other positions, etc.)

He seems to be getting pretty good defensively, other than his arm. Given more time to develop, it seems like he could be an overall average defensive CF in a year or two (lower than average arm, better than average in other areas). So check that partially - needs more development.

He certainly has skillz on the basepaths aplenty. Check that.

Extras: bunting is OK, needs some work. Can play the corner OF positions, can pinch run. Check.

That leaves the big question as the most important area - OBP. if he can get on base at a .340+ clip... I'd be happy with him in the OF in 2008. .350 would be better, but for a rookie, .340 is not bad.

So the million dollar question is... who thinks he could put up an OBP of .340+ given a full season in 2008? What do you think he CAN do? I for one think that he could do .340-ish, considering that he's already at .328 on this callup. If he plays winter ball and gets a lot of playing time next year, I am starting to think he may actually have what it takes.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Aug 24, 2007 -> 01:19 AM)

Owens just does not strike me as a starter on a team that wants to make the playoffs, let alone win the world series. Seeing him swing through mediocre 90 mph fastballs down the middle isn't going to cut it in the bigs as a leadoff man. At best, IMO, he should be a platoon player in 2008 [provided the sox got a better option at leadoff]. At worst, Owens could be a 4th OFer who can play LF and Cf and steal some bases.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Aug 24, 2007 -> 08:20 AM)
Owens just does not strike me as a starter on a team that wants to make the playoffs, let alone win the world series. Seeing him swing through mediocre 90 mph fastballs down the middle isn't going to cut it in the bigs as a leadoff man. At best, IMO, he should be a platoon player in 2008 [provided the sox got a better option at leadoff]. At worst, Owens could be a 4th OFer who can play LF and Cf and steal some bases.

He'd probably fit well in that 4th OF role. Having him and Ozuna as backup OF's seems pretty good right now. I am torn on him starting - I still think he might end up doing well.

Aren't baseball players rated on five tools.

hitting -- Owens is at best a C.

Hitting for power he is an F.

fielding -- B or B-minus

throwing -- C or C-minus

running -- A or A-minus

The guy is average or below average in three of the five categories.

to me, that's a fourth or fifth outfielder -- if you're planning on being a contending team.

If he's getting 250 at bats, OK.

If he's getting 400 or more at bats, you're in big trouble.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 24, 2007 -> 08:14 AM)
You can make a sort of checklist of what you'd want out of a non-power hitting CF (in order of importance)...

--Good or better OBP (forget AVG)

--At least solid CF defense, preferably plus

--Basepath skills (stealing, taking extras, speed)

--Extras (bunting, situational hitting, flexible to other positions, etc.)

So you don't mind a CFer that puts up a .675 OPS?

I mean, forget average, cuz by forgetting average, you are also forgetting slugging; by forgetting slugging, you are forgetting that it takes 2 singles, which is by and far the most common hit in all of baseball, to score a runner - any runner, regardless of speed - from first base...unless you're Enos Slaughter.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 24, 2007 -> 07:04 PM)
I like the 6 tool approach.

Hit for Contact

Hit for Power

Plate Discipline/Ability to draw a walk

Defense

Arm Strength/Accuracy

Speed

I whole-heartedly agree with this. Eye can come with MLB experience and a player's maturity at the plate; however, it usually does not. If a player does not take a walk to begin with, said player is almost assuredly not going to take a walk in the long-term. It will likely improve, but not by leaps and bounds.