Fields = a cheaper Crede with no back problems

Hideaway Lights

seems like that 7th homer today probably sealed the deal on confirming him as a certain successor to Crede during next season

Crede's ceiling seems to be one fluke .280 year - but he's essentially a .255-.260 hitter with about 25 homers per season

seems like Fields could give us that easily, maybe more

I know Joe's defense seems godlike sometimes but isn't there a chance Fields develops into that sort of player defensively too?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ Jul 24, 2007 -> 02:54 PM)
seems like that 7th homer today probably sealed the deal on confirming him as a certain successor to Crede during next season

Crede's ceiling seems to be one fluke .280 year - but he's essentially a .255-.260 hitter with about 25 homers per season

seems like Fields could give us that easily, maybe more

I know Joe's defense seems godlike sometimes but isn't there a chance Fields develops into that sort of player defensively too?

Josh's defense has actually been a pleasant surprise as I think there is only a small drop off from Crede. Also Josh appears to have more power to all fields and seems to be developing at a faster rate.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 24, 2007 -> 03:05 PM)
Josh's defense has actually been a pleasant surprise as I think there is only a small drop off from Crede. Also Josh appears to have more power to all fields and seems to be developing at a faster rate.

I think that's one of the big things. It took Crede multiple years to break away from his long swing and finally have a good year. Fields k's alot but his swing seems shorter and quicker. I like him alot.

Edited by TheOcho

In addition to the stated reasons Fields is the better choice over Crede in 2008, the Sox don't have to worry about attitude problems with Fields like they do with Crede. I doubt Fields would refuse to play winter ball at the request of his team like Crede did, or refuse to have offseason surgery if needed.

QUOTE(shoota @ Jul 24, 2007 -> 02:11 PM)
In addition to the stated reasons Fields is the better choice over Crede in 2008, the Sox don't have to worry about attitude problems with Fields like they do with Crede. I doubt Fields would refuse to play winter ball at the request of his team like Crede did, or refuse to have offseason surgery if needed.

Wha...????

Now listen... I agree he should have researched having the surgery more than he did.. but to call him an attitude problem because he chose to not risk possibly ending his career is ridiculous. Crede has one of the BEST attitudes on this club.

As for Josh.. give him time. Brandon wasn't a smart ass punk right out of the gate either.

QUOTE(DonnyDevito @ Jul 24, 2007 -> 01:12 PM)
is it just me or does fields only light it up in the Cell? he seems outstanding at home and horrible on the road.

.250 average, .831 OPS @ home. 6/7 home runs.

.256 average, .679 OPS on road. 1/7 home runs.

Ya, to say Joe had attitude problems is ridiculous. Josh is definitely developing nicely, I still say he'll never be the defensive 3b Joe is/was but he can be above average there. He's already making all the routine plays, personally, I just don't think he's ever going to have tremendous range. Not really a knock, I just don't ever see him being a great 3b like Joe.

Away stats will come as he gets used to other parks. He's probably most comfortable at home. With some offseason defensive work, he should be close to Crede.

Fields also has a better eye overall and MUCH better speed.

One game and seven homers most certainly doesn't mean that Fields replaces Crede. Joe Crede is a superior defensive thirdbaseman and a 30 homers player. Fields is doing a good job, but rebuilding this team for '08 doesn't mean getting rid of Joe Crede. Crede should be at 3B and also signed to a 3 or 4 year extension. Fields should be moved to LF and play 3B as needed.

Crede's back problems are terrible for this organization. If he were healthy we'd have an additional trading chip to unload before August. Or, the most likely scenario, Crede would have remained a member of the team until the offseason then traded.

Now, I wouldn't be shocked if Fields were in LF and Crede back at 3B entering 2008. It's not a terrible move (especially since it removes one more hole for Williams to fill), but I hate delaying Fields development at 3B for Crede to put together one good season in his walk year. And you know, just to make our lives miserable, he'll have a mediocre season and the organization will wrestle with granting him arbitration.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Jul 24, 2007 -> 03:29 PM)
One game and seven homers most certainly doesn't mean that Fields replaces Crede. Joe Crede is a superior defensive thirdbaseman and a 30 homers player. Fields is doing a good job, but rebuilding this team for '08 doesn't mean getting rid of Joe Crede. Crede should be at 3B and also signed to a 3 or 4 year extension. Fields should be moved to LF and play 3B as needed.

Crede has hit 30 homers once in his career. How can we possibly risk signing Joe to a 3-4 year extension with all his back problems, not to mentionn who his agent is. I love Joe Crede as I'm sure most Sox fans do, but it's time to get rid of him.

two words = scott boras

trade crede already unless we're confident crede is our 3B of the future and fields is our LF of the future. i certainly wouldn't mind having a strong arm, like Josh's, in LF opposed to the girly armed Podsednik that we've come accustomed to over the years.

I was under the impression that Josh had played 43 games this season.

I would not extend a fairly average offensive 3b who is increasingly injured, especially if Fields appears to be almost as good as him defensively.

QUOTE(DonnyDevito @ Jul 24, 2007 -> 03:34 PM)
two words = scott boras

trade crede already unless we're confident crede is our 3B of the future and fields is our LF of the future. i certainly wouldn't mind having a strong arm, like Josh's, in LF opposed to the girly armed Podsednik that we've come accustomed to over the years.

You do not trade Crede when his value has bottomed out

you pray for a complete recovery and a decent first half and then you deal him when he actually has value again

So you are telling me that you would rather take the risk of a player with back problems, throw a bunch of money at the injury prone player and move a younger, cheaper, better offensive weapon to a corner OF position just because the injury prone player is a little better with the glove right now?

That makes ZERO sense to me. This team has alot of money tied up in a small number of players, Josh at 3B is part of the plan moving forward, and he has already proven that he can handle it defensively and offensively.

QUOTE(TheOcho @ Jul 24, 2007 -> 03:09 PM)
I think that's one of the big things. It took Crede multiple years to break away from his long swing and finally have a good year. Fields k's alot but his swing seems shorter and quicker. I like him alot.

Really?

In Joe's first stint with the Sox in 2002 he hit .285 with 12hrs and 35 rbis in 53 games.

In Josh's first 43 games he has hit .255 7 hrs and 26 rbis.

Just so you know

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ Jul 24, 2007 -> 02:36 PM)
You do not trade Crede when his value has bottomed out

you pray for a complete recovery and a decent first half and then you deal him when he actually has value again

I agree. We should hang on to Crede and plan on him being the Opening Day 2008 starter if he is healthy. Assuming 08 will be a rebuilkding year and we wont compete, best case scenario would be Crede can put up a decent line with no signs of back problems and by late May we try and ship him out. That way he can build his trade value up and teams would have him for 4 months and ~100 games so we could probably pry a decent package away from some team hoping to compete

QUOTE(BearSox @ Jul 24, 2007 -> 03:11 PM)
Crede will get 5 million next year no matter what. You don't throw 5 million at an injury prone player and risk him getting injured again when you already have possibly a better option available at a fraction of the price.

Umm.. you do realize we are talking about the White Sox here...??

:lolhitting