And That's a White Sox Loser

Gregory Pratt

QUOTE(Yossarian @ Aug 15, 2007 -> 02:19 PM)
As bad as Navarro was, Floyd isn't even close to that effective yet. I've been following the Sox longer than most here have been alive, and I'm trying to think of a starting pitcher who's looked and performed worse. I'm still trying. I think I should call a truce on this. Enough of Sox fans beating each other up over this guy. Obviously lots of you want to, or need to believe in him. I see no Maddux, or Garland, or Verlander in him.

Well, you threw out a ridiculous statement, so I threw one right back. A 1% chance of being one of the worst starters in the game? Come on. I also don't care how bad Navarro was with the Sox, he signed as a 30 year old having thrown 1000 some innings. s***ty as Floyd is, and terrible as his splits are (9.00 ERA in his last 100 innings or something like that), he's still 24. Perhaps he doesn't even turn into Jason Grilli, but if you don't find out now, and he then goes on to put up 5 years of 4.25 ERA baseball somewhere else because he was given a shot, then you are not only kicking yourself, but you have hurt the s*** out of your organization. There is absolutely no harm in seeing what Floyd can bring to the table - N-O-N-E - and yet people are against it, like the Sox are competing for a division title. If anything, Floyd is helping the White Sox right now in two ways; first, in that his sucking insures he won't be on the team next year, and secondly, that his sucking will move the Sox up 2-3 slots in the draft next year. And, best case scenario, Floyd figures s*** out in the last month or two here and comes back next year and he is an effective pitcher for the White Sox, and everyone here eats major crow.

I don't believe Floyd is anything more than a AAAA pitcher, but there remains a shot at him being a good pitcher in the majors, and he's out of options next year. So, if they don't see what he's about this year, he's gone. For some of you, that'd be a blessing (because you are seemingly rooting against the guy), but for the White Sox, it's a terrible move both baseball and personnel wise, and it would be a damn shame if he left the organization next year and then went on to turn into even an average longman out of a bullpen for someone else.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't believe Floyd is anything more than a AAAA pitcher, but there remains a shot at him being a good pitcher in the majors, and he's out of options next year

Danks isn't exactly lighting it up, either.

If the Southtown is right and we deal Garland, our staff might really suck next season.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Aug 15, 2007 -> 11:17 PM)
Danks isn't exactly lighting it up, either.

If the Southtown is right and we deal Garland, our staff might really suck next season.

While I'm not a huge fan of Danks, I think he's run out of gas here and may be just hitting a wall. I certainly don't think he's a future #1 or #2 pitcher, but stranger things have happened. He could turn out to be quite a decent #4 or #5 starter and be reasonably priced for a while. I think McCarthy, healthy, is a better pitcher. But before we say how lucky KW was to trade McCarthy and fleece Texas, lets wait. Maybe McCarthy heals next season and Danks blows out his elbow.

Yes Danks has been pretty lousy, but I feel the same way about him that many here feel about Floyd. I'm not ready to give up on him. I think the situation with Danks is more similar to Garland's early efforts, than comparing Floyd to Garland. I would never root against the White Sox, or any of their players, in any way shape or form. I think almost all of the guys we trade are worth more than a throw away Class A pitcher. I'd trade Floyd for a six pack, and it wouldn't even have to be cold. That's just the way I see it. If he proves me wrong, and helps the Sox get back to respectability, then great. Just because I have strong opinions, doesn't mean I want someone to fail, just so I can stroke my own ego.

QUOTE(Yossarian @ Aug 16, 2007 -> 08:46 AM)
Yes Danks has been pretty lousy, but I feel the same way about him that many here feel about Floyd. I'm not ready to give up on him. I think the situation with Danks is more similar to Garland's early efforts, than comparing Floyd to Garland. I would never root against the White Sox, or any of their players, in any way shape or form. I think almost all of the guys we trade are worth more than a throw away Class A pitcher. I'd trade Floyd for a six pack, and it wouldn't even have to be cold. That's just the way I see it. If he proves me wrong, and helps the Sox get back to respectability, then great. Just because I have strong opinions, doesn't mean I want someone to fail, just so I can stroke my own ego.

Maybe recently, but not throughout the entire year. He started of the year tough as nails with no run support, and pitching against some really great pitchers. Danks has pitched much better than his record and numbers show

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Aug 16, 2007 -> 07:49 AM)
Maybe recently, but not throughout the entire year. He started of the year tough as nails with no run support, and pitching against some really great pitchers. Danks has pitched much better than his record and numbers show
Yes, that is a more accurate assessment of Danks.