Interesting Quote on Dye

Chisoxfn

"When you do that with the physical ability he's got and the brain he's got, he's going to put up numbers."

Now the only issue is whether Dye will be re-signed, which appears likely.

"I let my agent handle that," he said. "Unless something good is going on, I don't want to know about it."

That was out of the piece on the Tribune and they didn't say anything else but my guess is there are some good indications being given (to the various reporters) that the two sides have had good talks and that the feelings are mutual (with the Sox wanting Dye back and Dye wanting to come back, most likely for less than market value).

I think if the Sox thought he was going to walk away, they would have took Hansen and Pena for him. I know some people would rather have the draft picks, but with the Sox drafting his story versus the way that they scout other teams minor league players, I think I would rather have the players.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 11, 2007 -> 11:58 PM)
I'm convinced the only reason we didn't trade him is he's going to re-sign, because if we kept him AND we lose him this offseason, then Kenny is even dumber than anybody here could ever imagine.

or because the value of the potential two draft picks was better than anything we would have gotten for dye

QUOTE(Linnwood @ Aug 12, 2007 -> 12:48 PM)
As I understand it, it is not a matter if Dye will be resigned, but rather how long he will be signed for.

From the sox side, a 2 yr deal with the 3rd year a team option makes sense. Dye probably wants a 3 yr deal. With Thome probably retiring after 2009, the sox could use Dye at DH in 2010 that 3rd year.

Edited by beck72

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 11, 2007 -> 11:58 PM)
I'm convinced the only reason we didn't trade him is he's going to re-sign, because if we kept him AND we lose him this offseason, then Kenny is even dumber than anybody here could ever imagine.

Yeah, nowadays we have sabermetrics and GMs with degrees from Harvard and Yale. Stanford's a party school, and KW didn't even graduate!

WHAT A DUMMIE!

Edited by AirScott

QUOTE(beck72 @ Aug 12, 2007 -> 08:08 AM)
From the sox side, a 2 yr deal with the 3rd year a team option makes sense. Dye probably wants a 3 yr deal. With Thome probably retiring after 2009, the sox could use Dye at DH in 2010 that 3rd year.

Dye could get 4 on the open market (no problem at all). I think the Sox will go 3 years.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Aug 12, 2007 -> 09:04 AM)
If I was a GM, I'd only sign him to a 1 year deal with an option for another year. If Texas or somewhere else offers him 3 years or something then it's time to say good bye, IMO.

And that's why you're not GM. There's absolutely no way Dye would resign for 1 year. And 3 years really is not terrible; a 4 year contract is a killer, a 2 year contract is much more preferred, but 3 is tolerable. If you can get him for 2 with an option, than that would be wonderful.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Aug 12, 2007 -> 10:08 AM)

I don't see Thome retiring after 2009. I don't see him staying with the Sox, but he'll only be 39, he'll likely be nearing 600 homers, and he still almost certainly won't have a ring. He can probably play till he's 42 quite honestly.

I think they are looking at what is available as far as free agents and probably realizing its better to pay JD than to give Aaron Rowand pretty close to Garry Matthews Jr. money. The thing that is scaring me is it seems the Sox may be bringing back basically the same team again next year except subtract Pods, Iguchi, maybe Crede, add Fields, Richar, Owens. I still think that isn't good enough. I hope KW has something big up his sleeve.

J Dye is a very good player and I want him back in a Sox uniform. The OF situation could be interesting next year. I hope we have Fields in LF and Dye in RF and then it will be either a FA signing or Owens in CF. I think Owens needs more seasoning-and I don't mean cooking- to really be a forced in the AL. Owens can play all 3 positions though so Rowand back in Chicago? Maybe!

QUOTE(daa84 @ Aug 12, 2007 -> 09:53 AM)
or because the value of the potential two draft picks was better than anything we would have gotten for dye

No chance in hell, unless you want to assume that we hit it big on both picks, which the odds of are slim since very few teams ever do that (although we may have in 2004 with Fields in the 1st and Gio as a sandwich).

Edited by whitesoxfan101

The problem with letting JD walk is we have NO ONE, absolutely NO ONE, ready to take his place. I think back 2 years ago the idea was Ryan Sweeney would take over in RF by no later than '08, but right now Ryan doesn't appear ready to do that without a severe dropoff of production from Dye.

Sweeney's power numbers have improved somewhat, he is running well and I still consider him the Sox best position prospect, but right now I see Sweeney as starting next year in AAA barring serious growth between now and next March.

To that end, I'd like to reup Dye for a year with an option, and also an incentive laden contract. If Dye can produce big numbers, then he should get paid for it, but if he is slowing down or oft-injured I'd like to save money on him.

QUOTE(kwolf68 @ Aug 12, 2007 -> 01:05 PM)
The problem with letting JD walk is we have NO ONE, absolutely NO ONE, ready to take his place. I think back 2 years ago the idea was Ryan Sweeney would take over in RF by no later than '08, but right now Ryan doesn't appear ready to do that without a severe dropoff of production from Dye.

Sweeney's power numbers have improved somewhat, he is running well and I still consider him the Sox best position prospect, but right now I see Sweeney as starting next year in AAA barring serious growth between now and next March.

To that end, I'd like to reup Dye for a year with an option, and also an incentive laden contract. If Dye can produce big numbers, then he should get paid for it, but if he is slowing down or oft-injured I'd like to save money on him.

This is assuming you no longer count Fields as a prospect.

And that in itself still doesn't say much to me because of how weak the Sox really are in positional players. Quite frankly, I find it to mean that Sweeney's a tall midget.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Aug 12, 2007 -> 09:18 PM)
This is assuming you no longer count Fields as a prospect.

And that in itself still doesn't say much to me because of how weak the Sox really are in positional players. Quite frankly, I find it to mean that Sweeney's a tall midget.

I don't know... Sweeney, for someone who hasn't proven much, is pretty highly regarded around baseball (baseball america and even rotoworld) as one of better position prospects in baseball.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Aug 12, 2007 -> 09:46 PM)
I don't know... Sweeney, for someone who hasn't proven much, is pretty highly regarded around baseball (baseball america and even rotoworld) as one of better position prospects in baseball.

I've seen nothing resembling any sort of a power stroke, and he doesn't look like a good enough hitter to hit .320. He could easily hit .300 and put up an OPS of .750; respectable, but there are tons of players who can put up OPS's of .750.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 12, 2007 -> 09:34 AM)
I think they are looking at what is available as far as free agents and probably realizing its better to pay JD than to give Aaron Rowand pretty close to Garry Matthews Jr. money. The thing that is scaring me is it seems the Sox may be bringing back basically the same team again next year except subtract Pods, Iguchi, maybe Crede, add Fields, Richar, Owens. I still think that isn't good enough. I hope KW has something big up his sleeve.

ARod. Seriously. They've got to make a major run at him or they're a fraudulent organization.