Chris Young Centerfielder AZ

bogie

QUOTE(BearSox @ Aug 26, 2007 -> 10:24 PM)
The guy has 28 homers but only 50 RBI's. And he is batting something like .130 with RISP to go along with that low .230's average and .290's OBP... this guy is awesome!

And every single GM in baseball would take him over Javy

QUOTE(BearSox @ Aug 26, 2007 -> 05:24 PM)
The guy has 28 homers but only 50 RBI's. And he is batting something like .130 with RISP to go along with that low .230's average and .290's OBP... this guy is awesome!

Or we can look at the fact that he is a 24 year old with 28 homers who is stealing bases at an 88% clip, slugging .460 whose minor league numbers would suggest that he is capable of drawing a walk and improving his OBP.

But ya, I suppose RBI and AVG w/ RISP would be the best indicator of his future success.

Edited by WHarris1

QUOTE(BearSox @ Aug 26, 2007 -> 05:32 PM)
I doubt that.

You shouldn't. Young has 5 more really cheap years left before he becomes a FA. He's a CF with plus defense, premier power and speed. The only element lacking is OBP, and his minor league numbers suggest that won't be a problem for long. Vazquez is a having a decent year, but he's only under contract 3 more seasons, is older, expensive, and honestly is #3 or #4 starter on a playoff quality team. It's easier to acquire someone like Vazquez than someone like Young.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Aug 27, 2007 -> 05:15 AM)
The only element lacking is OBP, and his minor league numbers suggest that won't be a problem for long.

He had a 45 game stretch from late April through mid-June where he only drew 3 walks in roughly 175 plate appearances. That's quality.

As a minor leaguer, he drew one walk per seven plate appearances between 2003 and 2005, so yeah, I guess that there's a light at the end of the tunnel, albeit a very dim light.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Aug 27, 2007 -> 12:15 AM)
You shouldn't. Young has 5 more really cheap years left before he becomes a FA. He's a CF with plus defense, premier power and speed. The only element lacking is OBP, and his minor league numbers suggest that won't be a problem for long. Vazquez is a having a decent year, but he's only under contract 3 more seasons, is older, expensive, and honestly is #3 or #4 starter on a playoff quality team. It's easier to acquire someone like Vazquez than someone like Young.

Except every team in the league needs pitching. I guess they're paying guys with rather questionable resumes like Ted Lilly and Gil Meche $10 mil or more a year just for fun.

While Young is a valuable asset because of his service time, so is Javy in that he's an above average starter that's locked up to a reasonable deal for a few years.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Aug 27, 2007 -> 12:06 AM)
Well, if he's gonna swing for the fences every time, they might want to put him in the fifth or sixth slot.

The guy is gonna hit like 35 HRs, and finish with less than 70 RBI. I've never heard of anything like that.

I was talking about this the other night with wite, and it is just straight up retarded for them to bat him in the leadoff slot. A NL leadoff man gets f***ing minimal RBI opportunities and they are putting one of their best pure sluggers in that spot?

Sammy Sosa hit 35 HR and had 80 RBI in '04

Barry Bonds hit 37 HR and had 81 RBI in '94

Frank Robinson hit 38 HR and had 83 RBI in '56

Willie Mays hit 36 HR and had 84 RBI also in '56

...and how many of those guys did it in the leadoff spot?

QUOTE(LukeGofannon @ Aug 29, 2007 -> 05:15 PM)
Brad Wilkerson in 2004, 107 games in the lead off spot 32 HR 67 RBI.

Good call. He had 25 solo HRs that year, and Chris currently has 23.

Brad also drew 106 walks and had a .374 OBP, so I could see why they kept him in the leadoff slot. Yeah, he was swinging for the fences with nobody on base, which is a pretty good indication as to where a guy's head is at, but he had great plate discipline at the same time, so it's an odd case. I don't know what happened to him; he just turned 30 in June, so he should be peaking, but his OBP is at .304 in 285 ABs. I know that he's always got some nagging injury, though.