Chris Young Centerfielder AZ

bogie

Javy > all.

Say whatever you want, but I'd take Javy over Young any day of the week. Sure, it would have been nice to have kept Young and have traded Anderson instead, but then again, last time I checked, none of us were the GM and didn't know what exactly the DBacks were expecting in return.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Aug 18, 2007 -> 04:35 PM)
Probably a lock for NL player of the week with 5 homers.

That's a nice turnaround, considering that his average for the month of August was barely over .100 in his first 45 ABs. Even with this recent burst of power, he's still hitting .219 for the month with a .275 OBP. And of course, he had that killer June where he sported a .245 OBP in over 100 ABs. This dude straight up rocks my socks.

"Every time you hit the ball in the air, you owe me 20 push-ups"

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Aug 18, 2007 -> 05:24 PM)
That's a nice turnaround, considering that his average for the month of August was barely over .100 in his first 45 ABs. Even with this recent burst of power, he's still hitting .219 for the month with a .275 OBP. And of course, he had that killer June where he sported a .245 OBP in over 100 ABs. This dude straight up rocks my socks.

Just keep your eyes off of the .468 slugging percentage on the season.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 18, 2007 -> 05:47 PM)
Just keep your eyes off of the .468 slugging percentage on the season.

I'm not saying that there aren't any positives (great defense, 19/21 in SB opportunities), but some of these threads are ridiculously premature.

He shouldn't be swinging for the fences, but that's just my opinion. Even a .330 OBP out of the leadoff slot would be nice at this stage of a career, but .290? That seriously blows.

The only reason anybody even brings up this trade is the fact we don't have a CF. The quality of Javy as a starting pitcher and the money we have him locked up for >>>> Chris Young, and it's not even close. Young has Brandon Phillips written all over him in terms of at the plate (high slugging, steal bases, mediocre batting average, abominable on base) and hey, that's not bad, but it's not nearly as good as most here think it is either.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Aug 18, 2007 -> 06:07 PM)
He shouldn't be swinging for the fences, but that's just my opinion. Even a .330 OBP out of the leadoff slot would be nice at this stage of a career, but .290? That seriously blows.

I'd be more concerned about his OBP if he didn't show he could walk in the minors, but he did. If we're at the ASB of next season and his IsoDiscipline is still only .050 (.290-.240), I'd probably start to worry.

This is an odd time for this thread, though. Vazquez is finally living up to what all his peripheral numbers (DiPS, WHIP, K/9, K/BB) said he should've been doing all along. It's very nice to see, and I feel pretty comfortable with Javy atop our rotation for the foreseeable future.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Aug 18, 2007 -> 01:56 PM)
Based on what? His minor league numbers say he is very capable of it.

That is what I think makes our Dbacks real dangerous. We have so many 1st season players and most of them are going through the growing pains yet we still have 71 wins.

Again I will say it the trade worked out good for everyone; Javy, The Sox's and the D'Backs.

he now has 27 HR....theres no way even the dbacks thought hed hit that many this soon

he does however only have 48 RBi...which is unbelievably low...even if he does bat leadoff...i remember sammy had 35 HR with 80 RBI..which was a record low for a guy with 35 or more HR....if young has a big sept. and hits 8.....well as im typing this he hits his second of the game to give him 28 and 51....he could still shatter that record though

Edited by daa84

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 26, 2007 -> 04:19 PM)
Did Young have anything to do with the Inside-the-Parker that I see on Gameday Lee just hit?

Young was chasing the fly ball into the right-center gap when it hit strangely off the wall and caromed back towards left filed.

Byrnes was a lazy ass and he stood in left watching, and their right fielder appeared to end up getting the ball in left-center.

Not Young's fault at all.