What's with AJ?

NorthSideSox72

I hate to say this, because its sounds so conspiracy-theory and all that... but I really think that part of the problem with the Bullpen this year, and with both Garland and Danks, is AJ. We've heard a lot of rumors swirling around about his attitude, and he does have a history of sometimes getting a bit petty...

Look at the fact that most of the new or almost-new pitchers this year - that is, the whole pen other than Jenks, along with Danks and Floyd - and they have all had problems to one extent or the other. Also, Garland, who tends to be laid-back and appears to let the catcher control the pitches, has also struggled. Add to that, if you watch AJ, he isn't moving around behind the plate is much, he looks even more lacksadaisical than previous years, and he seems to constantly call 2 pitches for each pitcher. Guys like Vaz, Jenks and MB have good enough 1 and 2 pitches to get away with it - the others really don't.

Just my theory, but I think AJP got really lazy this year. I think he failed to research his new arms, failed to do the homework on hitters and adjust to them as they adjusted to the Sox pitching, and he decided he was annoyed with the team. I am NOT saying that is 100% of the problem with Garland and the pen, but that it is a significant part.

Anyone else feel the same way?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 24, 2007 -> 07:43 PM)
I hate to say this, because its sounds so conspiracy-theory and all that... but I really think that part of the problem with the Bullpen this year, and with both Garland and Danks, is AJ. We've heard a lot of rumors swirling around about his attitude, and he does have a history of sometimes getting a bit petty...

Look at the fact that most of the new or almost-new pitchers this year - that is, the whole pen other than Jenks, along with Danks and Floyd - and they have all had problems to one extent or the other. Also, Garland, who tends to be laid-back and appears to let the catcher control the pitches, has also struggled. Add to that, if you watch AJ, he isn't moving around behind the plate is much, he looks even more lacksadaisical than previous years, and he seems to constantly call 2 pitches for each pitcher. Guys like Vaz, Jenks and MB have good enough 1 and 2 pitches to get away with it - the others really don't.

Just my theory, but I think AJP got really lazy this year. I think he failed to research his new arms, failed to do the homework on hitters and adjust to them as they adjusted to the Sox pitching, and he decided he was annoyed with the team. I am NOT saying that is 100% of the problem with Garland and the pen, but that it is a significant part.

Anyone else feel the same way?

Yup. And I ain't saying anymore. :ph34r:

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 24, 2007 -> 02:48 PM)
LOL.. we've been saying "something" for 2 years now. :lolhitting

Eh, I think he's always been an attitude issue to an extent. But it seemed to me he put it away a bit in 2005, at least on the field. even in 2006, to an extent. But it seems much more obvious this year in his play on the field - he just looks like he has decided to not try as hard.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 24, 2007 -> 07:51 PM)
Eh, I think he's always been an attitude issue to an extent. But it seemed to me he put it away a bit in 2005, at least on the field. even in 2006, to an extent. But it seems much more obvious this year in his play on the field - he just looks like he has decided to not try as hard.

I think Rowand was a good influence on AJ.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Aug 24, 2007 -> 03:01 PM)
I thought the bench called most of the game.

Oh yeah, that was another thing - thanks for reminding me. AJ seems to be taking signals from the bench now than he ever did before. He is less prepared.

His attitude isn't news - its a question of how much its effected his play.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 24, 2007 -> 03:04 PM)
If you want to talk about people not doing their job, has anyone stolen more money the last two years than Don Cooper?

That's kind of what made me start the thread. You can look at three people when judging whats wrong with a pitcher - the pitcher, the pitching coach, and the catcher (or the pitch-caller). Obviously pitcher is generally going to be number 1. But which comes next? How much difference does a pitching coach make, versus a catcher?

It depends on the people involved of course. But I am not sure I'd put the blame as heavily on Coop, as I do on the pitch-calling, right now.

Interesting. First and foremost, I am an AJ fan. I have his jersey, I think he was key to 2005.

That said, I personally have seen him not hustle out some plays this year to the point where I was thinking: what's with the lolly-gagging? You could at least try. More than once.

And Steff: remember when we talked what you couldn't talk about? I think now I know what you're talking about.

Supposedly AJ is the most pissed off at the Sox lack of success. I'm not going to mention game calling because we really don't know who is calling pitches and the bottom line is the pitcher is the one who calls the game. The catcher suggests pitches. AJ has probably as good of record catching games as anyone. Lets not deflect the blame onto everyone but the one it should be blamed on, the pitcher.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Aug 24, 2007 -> 02:35 PM)
Interesting. First and foremost, I am an AJ fan. I have his jersey, I think he was key to 2005.

That said, I personally have seen him not hustle out some plays this year to the point where I was thinking: what's with the lolly-gagging? You could at least try. More than once.

And Steff: remember when we talked what you couldn't talk about? I think now I know what you're talking about.

LMAO.. way to keep it on the down low.. :lolhitting

I'm not. I'm just saying that AJ looks limp this year. Maybe it's because he's lollygagging, maybe it's because he's deflated by how the team is doing. I don't know.

But I noticed. He could at least try to run to first base even if he's gonna be thrown out.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 24, 2007 -> 08:03 PM)
Oh yeah, that was another thing - thanks for reminding me. AJ seems to be taking signals from the bench now than he ever did before. He is less prepared.

I don't think AJ is getting more signals from the bench because he's unprepared....i think it's the other way around. He's not preparing as hard because he knows the bench will be calling most of the game.

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 24, 2007 -> 03:36 PM)
LMAO.. way to keep it on the down low.. :lolhitting

Yo, I didn't let anyone peep on anything!

Nobody remembers that conversation between us because it was on PM. So nobody knows what we're talking about.

I think.

:gosox2:

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Aug 24, 2007 -> 08:35 PM)

Coach: You guys... you lollygag the ball around the infield. You lollygag your way down to first. You lollygag in and out of the dugout. Do you know what that makes you? Larry?

Larry: Lollgaggers!

Coach: Lollygaggers.

:lolhitting

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Aug 24, 2007 -> 02:43 PM)
Yo, I didn't let anyone peep on anything!

Nobody remembers that conversation between us because it was on PM. So nobody knows what we're talking about.

I think.

:gosox2:

I know, I know. I was just being silly. :D

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 24, 2007 -> 08:03 PM)

It isn't uncommon for catchers to be directed from the bench. Maybe that's the problem?! AJ can't make the pitchers hit their locations or be CY Young. I don't think it's AJ's problem.