Sox vs. Tigers

The Ginger Kid

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Sep 5, 2007 -> 05:59 PM)
At work tonight, have to follow on gameday. Analysis would be appreciated :cheers

floyd threw a rolling breaking ball that stayed high and tight and raburn gave a weak check swing at it

Edited by daa84

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Sep 5, 2007 -> 06:59 PM)
At work tonight, have to follow on gameday. Analysis would be appreciated :cheers

Like I just alluded to, Gavin let a curveball go that didn't curve and floated up toward Raburn at eighty one MPH and Raburn went around looking absolutely ridiculous on a pitch that there's absolutely zero reason to ever swing at. It's bases loaded with half a decent hitter there.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Sep 6, 2007 -> 12:01 AM)
Listen Tiger, he's not Blyleven throwing a curveball

Listen Tiger, if it was a curveball you might have a point. He threw a curveball the pitch before. The pitch he got Rayburn out on wasn't a curveball, unless Floyd's curveball now comes in at 85 MPH.

QUOTE(Linnwood @ Sep 5, 2007 -> 07:07 PM)
Exactlly. Floyd is pitching pretty poorly, but the Tigers are making him look decent.

I meant 81 MPH rolling curveball.

Needless to say, I agree with you.

Floyd just threw a filthy curve to Guillen for the K one batter and half an inning after throwing several ridiculously weak curveballs last time out. He's so, so inconsistent with the good but consistent with the bad.

QUOTE(Linnwood @ Sep 5, 2007 -> 06:07 PM)
Exactlly. Floyd is pitching pretty poorly, but the Tigers are making him look decent.

you guys are going a bit overboard....he threw him a bad pitch, yes, but i wouldnt say hes pitching poorly....he hasnt had command of his good curve today, but ive been encouraged with his slider (got carlos guillen twice with it) and velocity...also has spotted his fastball well....other than the pudge FO, nothing has really been hit hard off of him

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Sep 5, 2007 -> 06:09 PM)
I meant 81 MPH rolling curveball.

Needless to say, I agree with you.

Floyd just threw a filthy curve to Guillen for the K one batter and half an inning after throwing several ridiculously weak curveballs last time out. He's so, so inconsistent with the good but consistent with the bad.

fairly sure that was his slider....its was 84....he throws that big hook in the mid 70s

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Sep 5, 2007 -> 07:09 PM)
Listen Tiger, if it was a curveball you might have a point. He threw a curveball the pitch before. The pitch he got Rayburn out on wasn't a curveball, unless Floyd's curveball now comes in at 85 MPH.

His curveball is usually 81-82. It was either a big stupid rolling curveball he overthrew and didn't finish or a big stupid rolling changeup he overthrew and didn't finish. Looked like a curveball to me. Either way, he doesn't finish his pitches or consistently throw anything over.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Sep 5, 2007 -> 08:13 PM)
Floyd has crossed over to the "bad lands" with some here. He just can't win with some, and I swear if he won a Cy Young, it would just be a lucky year to some people.

Well I am certianly not in that camp. I just think he is being sloppy... and we're lucky the Tigers are not taking advantage of it tonight (so far).

Edited by Linnwood

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Sep 6, 2007 -> 12:13 AM)
Floyd has crossed over to the "bad lands" with some here. He just can't win with some, and I swear if he won a Cy Young, it would just be a lucky year to some people.

I am not going to comment on tonight because I can only follow on Gameday, but pretty amazing comments for a guy with 4 K's in 3+ innings so far, no ER.

His fastball has been a little better tonight -- consistently 91-94 on the FSN Detroit gun -- but his control (within the zone) has been a wee bit irratic. What he seems to be doing nicely tonight is changing speeds, although I can't tell if that's something he's actually trying to do or if it's just 'luck'.

The opposite to that is he's living in some people's living rooms and paying most of the rent around here because he's been oh-so-bad in the last 100+ innings and through this season but if he does good, he's just fulfilling "potential" and when he does bad it's just...what? Luck? A fluke? I don't know. Ozzie, maybe. Ozzie being bad to the young player.

I posted what I think is an accurate assessment of his outing. Good END results that came from sloppy pitching, unimpressive command and fairly weak stuff tonight. Especially when you're "judging" Floyd based on what he does now you've got to look at more than what GameDay's line tells you.

Some of you guys are amazing. Talk about coming in with an impenetrable bias. The guy has thrown 4 shutout innings, struck out 4, gotten it done WITH RUNNERS ON (one of his weak points), and is throwing his curveball without hanging it most of the time. And somehow, you make it into him looking terrible. I guess once you have all baseball players are incapable of improving in your eyes. Perfect he is not tonight, but he looks pretty darn good.

My only concern, something I didn't really pay attention to until tonight... he is HORRIBLE at holding runners on. I mean, we all knew he pitched weakly in those scenarios, but he is as bad at allowing runners to lead and steal as Contreras.