Sox vs. Tigers

The Ginger Kid

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Floyd pitched a good game. That is from the line score, and from the actual pitches that I saw. Did he make mistakes, well sure. But all pitchers make mistakes in a pitched game. Its sometimes a few inches of a foul ball, or the quick turn on a pitch that gets popped to the track thats the difference between a great outing, and giving up 3 or 4 runs. What you want from your pitcher is to pitch ahead in the count, pitch aggressive, and try not to walk runners. You attack, and let your defense play behind you and you will be ok. The only mistake if you could call it that, was a low and away pitch to Hessman. It was a good pitch, and a good swing on a low and away pitch. The only criticism was on the pitch calling, on 2 strikes and after facing a few fastballs, I would of wanted to see Floyd go low and away with the tight curve. That is a strikeout pitch, and he should use it more. Floyd has two curveballs. A big bender and a tight curve. What you want to see when you have a pitcher with a big bender, is on two strikes to either high with a fastball to setup the big bender change of pace, or to go low and away with a tight curve. Floyd needs to keep this type of effort going the next time. Consistancy is the key to staying up here.

I don't think Floyd has very good mechanics, and I think a big flaw is he shows the hitter the ball way too much.

The biggest similarity between Floyd and Grilli is this, they both have a problem with their release point. It is basically as you said, a mechanical issue.

The thing that makes both of them potentially of value is they both have movement on their pitches. I was a big fan of Grilli when he was here, he was and is a little older to finally be reaching his potential but the raw ability was there. Grilli got hurt and was derailed and took an awful long time to come back. Floyd's problem is between his ears, he needs some success to get over that problem, tonight he experienced some success and I want to see him pitch again, preferably against another team fighting for its life.

This outing has to be considered a major success for Floyd. By no means am I annointing him a part of the future or anything, but he battled and showed confidence in the curveball. This against a team who'd seen him before, is a good offensive team, and is in a fight for its life.

He is deserving of another start, at a minimum. Also I was impressed with how Lucy received. Loved how Rogers threw the ball to Guillen on Lucy's first MLB hit, very classy, and also loved how Rogers gave Lucy his best pickoff move on the very next pitch. That stuff is part of what makes baseball great. Lucy will remember that the rest of his life.

He's also facing a team that has been playing as bad as the Sox, and his only other good start came in this cavernous ball park. I agree he should get another start, but if he gets rocked again (espsecially if it's at home) I don't want to see anyone point to these two games in Detroit as evidence of why he should continue to get a shot.

Edited by santo=dorf

He's also facing a team that has been playing as bad at the Sox, and his only other good start came in this cavernous ball park. I agree he should get another start, but if he gets rocked again (espsecially if it's at home) I don't want to see anyone point to these two games in Detroit as evidence of why he should continue to get a shot.

Frankly it doesn't matter if they've been playing bad, it is a full house with a good offensive team in a fight for its life. Again I would never take two games and say hey, this guy is great, let's pencil him in for 2008. The one thing I will do though is see if he battles and attacks the strike zone and shows he is not afraid and bounces back from adversity. Those are the things that are important in a situation like this.

Let's face it, he pitched well tonight, he worked out of a few jams, etc.

As for pointing to these two games, if a guy pitches well on the road, I will take it. He manned up tonight and battled, I like it.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Sep 6, 2007 -> 01:21 AM)
Wow, Tampa really has been mashing of late. My "dream" scenerio is coming true. Floyd pitches a good game, Richar looks good in the process,(would have like to seen Josh produce a little bit more) and pen looks like they are going to give it up.

Helllllo, Pedro...

Fantastic point!

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Sep 5, 2007 -> 08:22 PM)
He's also facing a team that has been playing as bad as the Sox, and his only other good start came in this cavernous ball park. I agree he should get another start, but if he gets rocked again (espsecially if it's at home) I don't want to see anyone point to these two games in Detroit as evidence of why he should continue to get a shot.

Its hard to deny the stuff he has-we all saw the consistency slow to come with Garland. That paid off-

We cant give every regarded prospect the same treatment they gave Brian Anderson. Personally, I would have liked to see him get the shot that Owens has had. Maybe Floyd is that road game pitcher we lost in Freddy Garcia.

Its hard to deny the stuff he has-we all saw the consistency slow to come with Garland. That paid off-

We cant give every regarded prospect the same treatment they gave Brian Anderson. Personally, I would have liked to see him get the shot that Owens has had. Maybe Floyd is that road game pitcher we lost in Freddy Garcia.

My point about seeing pitch at home was about the dimensions. He also pitched 3 solid innings in garbage time at Seattle. We don't have time with Floyd like we did with Garland. We need to have a solid decision by the end of Spring Training.

We don't have time with Floyd like we did with Garland. We need to have a solid decision by the end of Spring Training.

Yes completely agree with you and actually that was my point.

Teams hate to make decisions on guys based on what they do in September if your team is playing in meaningless games.

What helps them make a good decision is whether the team you're playing is really hungry and this effort will help them make a decision. Now they need to get him back in there vs. a team going to the playoffs, like Cleveland or LAA.

Even still it is not a clear cut decision, either way. At this point no one ... not even other teams ... much cares about his AAA record. What can he do in the majors is the issue. The other problem is it's awful evaluating pitchers in Tucson. Therefore they will have to make a judgement call and open themselves up for criticism no matter what they decide.

I do know they have been working with him big time in side sessions and putting all their resources and efforts into making Floyd better. It is a shame he has not blossomed to this point but baseball is a strange game.

The question to be asked is, Floyd is a healthy young arm and do you gamble with him as let's say a 5th starter in a season where he is out of options and where you have stated you want to contend? Not an easy call. All I can say is he took a step forward tonight. There is no clear cut answer.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Sep 5, 2007 -> 09:22 PM)

Ohhhhhh for the days of 21 groundouts = 1 suit.