September 9th: Minnesota vs. Chicago

Flash Tizzle

I can't just let this game go by without a thread. Even if it's Santana pitching, and we're currently losing 4-1 in the 7th, there needs to be space devoted to our failures.

Currently, Tampa is leading Toronto and Baltimore is tied with Boston. This could be a very good day for us.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 9, 2007 -> 03:10 PM)
Thank you Alex Cintron.

It was his fault for prolonging both innings, but really, Garland become rattled after Cintron's errors.

Even if the runs didn't score we'd still have a 1-1 game with our bullpen matching up against Minnesota's.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Sep 9, 2007 -> 03:13 PM)
It was his fault for prolonging both innings, but really, Garland become rattled after Cintron's errors.

Even if the runs didn't score we'd still have a 1-1 game with our bullpen matching up against Minnesota's.

How many outs do we need to give Johan Santana? Its sad, but we really NEED Joe Crede if we are going to be any good in 2008. We don't have one guy on this roster today who plays a decent defensive third base. Heck Uribe might be the best 3B we have in the field, and he hasn't been out there for years.

What a perfect game.....Garland's ERA goes down, Thome homers, and the Sox gain a game on Tampa.

Congratulations to all of you who want the Sox to lose. Go grab a beer. Celebrate.

It's a great day when the White Sox lose, right?

QUOTE(greg775 @ Sep 10, 2007 -> 03:58 AM)
Congratulations to all of you who want the Sox to lose. Go grab a beer. Celebrate.

It's a great day when the White Sox lose, right?

There's absolutely nothing good that can come to the organization if they win these meaningless games. Why are you so scared of them possibly having a top two pick?

QUOTE(greg775 @ Sep 10, 2007 -> 03:58 AM)
Go grab a beer. Celebrate.

I didn't grab a beer, but I did celebrate. Not only did the Sox gain a game on Tampa, they also helped me win $15. And Thome homered, and Garland pitched well. Great game all around, as fathom said.

There's absolutely nothing good that can come to the organization if they win these meaningless games. Why are you so scared of them possibly having a top two pick?

I could care less if we pick 2 or 10.

I want to win every game, then sign free agents in the offseason. I could give

a s*** about draft picks.

The day I root against the White Sox is the day I hope I'm dead.

Is that clear enough?

If you want to celebrate the White Sox losing, good for you.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE(greg775 @ Sep 10, 2007 -> 12:55 AM)
I could care less if we pick 2 or 10.

I want to win every game, then sign free agents in the offseason. I could give

a s*** about draft picks.

The day I root against the White Sox is the day I hope I'm dead.

Is that clear enough?

If you want to celebrate the White Sox losing, good for you.

Take a look at our payroll for next year. And then tell me about all of the lovely free agents we will be signing. If you think that a few meaningless wins at the end of a horrible season matter more than an impact pick that can help the franchise over a long period time win, then I cant make you understand. If we have to deal with the torture of this season, we might as well get something that can help the franchise for a long time. The Venturas, Thomas's, McDowells, and Fernandez's were the byproduct of crappy seasons like this. Now would you have rather had a few more wins, and no Frank Thomas or Robin Ventura, or McDowell.

The lack of funds won't be the only thing keeping the Sox from making a splash in the free agent market, the biggest problem will probably be the complete and utter lack of talent available. Outside of CF and A-Rod there's NOTHING that can help this team in free agency. And 5 extra wins in September isn't going to help KW lure anyone to the South Side, if the previous year's win% really meant anything Alfonso Soriano, Ted Lilly, Barry Zito and Dave Roberts would have balked at the offers that were made to them by 2 of the worst teams in baseball in 2006. The White Sox's money will be just as green with 65 wins as it would be with 75.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Sep 10, 2007 -> 01:08 AM)
How bout Torii Hunter and trade for a ss and acquire a veteran set up guy.

That won't improve us?

Torii hunter is going to cost a lot in money and in years. Do you see the sox going 6 years and 17 million per.

On the more money front, Renteria and Furcal are pretty damn costly. 11 to 13 mill a year. The only way those two are added is if a Konerko and Garland are moved. What does that do to your team.

And who is this vet setup guy that will be available for what again.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(greg775 @ Sep 10, 2007 -> 01:08 AM)
How bout Torii Hunter and trade for a ss and acquire a veteran set up guy.

That won't improve us?

It depends. What did you give up in order to acquire the expensive SS and over priced reliever? Did you just weaken the rotation and minor league system? What changes were made to the roster in order to pay Torii Hunter's insane salary? How many high priced veterans were moved in order to add the even higher priced veterans you're acquiring?

Greg,

In 1986 we won 72 games. Now I am sure that you would of liked them to win 80. It would of made you feel great. But the following year we drafted Jack McDowell. What was worth more for the sox, the 8 more wins or the pick of McDowell., we drafted Jack McDowell.

In 1987 we won 77 games. Now a few more and we are .500. The following year we drafted Robin Ventura. Now the .500 season would of put a smile on your face, and you could of went crazy. But Robin seemed to have a bigger impact over the long haul.

In 1988 we won 71 games, now again .500 would of put that skip in your step. But then again would of Frank Thomas been there. Was the few more wins worth the future HOF player.

In 1989 we won 69 games, now again that .500 mark would of make you giddy. But getting a pitcher of Alex Fernandez's stature seemed to help out more than anything.