What will become of Ryan Sweeney?

beautox

With JD being inked and fields being put in LF, along with this organizations view that it can and will contend next year that all but means we're going to sign or trade for a CF.

So what becomes of Sweeney? hes still young but there just doesn't appear to be an opening in this organization for him sans CF and it looks as though that window is closing fast.

I see him being shipped off to the marlins for Taylor Tankersley or Kevin Gregg

seeing how KW loves high power relief arms.

Right now I'm leaning towards Jeremy Reed v2.0, which is really not a good outcome for Sweeney.

This was really a make or break season for him in terms of his standing as a prospect. He finished last season well, and many had high hopes for him coming into this season, it just hasn't happened for him from a power standpoint.

It's quite ironic that many people at the time thought we did really well getting Anderson and Sweeney as our top 2 draft picks in that 03 or 04 draft, and right now it doesn't look like either will become regular major league outfielders, at least for the White Sox.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Sep 12, 2007 -> 06:59 AM)
It's way too early to write off Sweeney at 22. It was a down year and all, but Delmon Young wasn't meeting anyone's expectations, either. I'd rather wait and see.

:D

Sweeney =/ Young

Not sure I'd write him up or give up on him, but I expect him to be traded.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Sep 12, 2007 -> 05:59 AM)
It's way too early to write off Sweeney at 22. It was a down year and all, but Delmon Young wasn't meeting anyone's expectations, either. I'd rather wait and see.

Exactly. He's still only 22 years old. How many 22 year olds make impacts or even start in the majors? He's been rushed at every level and hasnt been completely healthy all year. He was hitting near .300 for a good part of the season. He had a disappointing season and next year is crucial for him, but its definitely too early to give up on him or trade him while his value is low.

Sweeney's career at this point, if he stays with the Sox, hinges on two things:

1. What kind of year he has at Charlotte in 2008

2. What happens with the LF situation - Fields/Crede/Owens, etc.

Those will dictate where he will be with the Sox in 2008 and 2009. IF he isn't traded before then.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Sep 12, 2007 -> 07:49 AM)

Sweeney =/ Young

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 12, 2007 -> 09:52 AM)
I'll be shocked if he's in the organization after this offseason.

agreed on both counts, and it's time to move him too. A 3rd mediocre season in AAA would bring an end to his time as being a prospect.

He needs to get stronger and quicker on the inside pitch; if he doesn't, he might be a 4th outfielder.

you cant be a .270 hitter with 10 HR in this league unless you walk alot and steal alot of bases.....sweeney does neither particularly well....he needs to develop power....what even more of a concern when it comes to sweeney is his lack of 2bs, not just HRs....for a guy that is supposed to have a "line drive swing" he should be finding gaps more than he is

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Sep 12, 2007 -> 10:08 AM)
He's 22... there's plenty of time for him to become a productive player. How many years did Crede hit .230-.260 and the sox stuck with him?

Sweeney's had 80 sporadic at bats in the majors... writing him off would be ridiculous.

Joe Crede atleast showed some potential in AAA, putting up a .930 OPS his second year in AAA. Past rookie ball, Ryan Sweeney has cracked an .800 OPS one time, and that was last year at Charlotte. Even the infamous Brian Anderson even put up a .830 OPS at AAA before proving he absolutely blew chunks.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Sep 12, 2007 -> 09:14 AM)
Joe Crede atleast showed some potential in AAA, putting up a .930 OPS his second year in AAA. Past rookie ball, Ryan Sweeney has cracked an .800 OPS one time, and that was last year at Charlotte. Even the infamous Brian Anderson even put up a .830 OPS at AAA before proving he absolutely blew chunks.

extremely good post

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Sep 12, 2007 -> 08:14 AM)

It might also be worth noting that Anderson put up those AAA numbers when he was 23. Sweeney was 21 last year when he cracked that .800 OPS. And unfortunately, this season has been one of those nasty ones for him, where he's both struggled with a lot of injuries and was promoted early due to injuries above him, thus robbing him of consistent playing time to some extent.

If he brings something good in trade that is fine, but, I think at this point his value is pretty low. I'd suggest its better to keep him, send him to AFL, and then see what he can do in Charlotte in 2008. I think there is a better chance that he does well there next year, then there is that he'll bring much of anything in trade.

I think there is a decent chance the Sox could stick with Brian Anderson as a back-up outfielder (capable of playing all 3 OF positions). That will become more likely if he makes some strides in winterball.

Sweeney on the other hand will probably be dealt for another prospect the Sox like that may fill a more immediate hole (Sweeney still has trade value, but I'd say he's considered a B-/C+ prospect at this point and most of that is still based on a lot of "Old" hype).

In fact there is a better chance that both are gone next year than both being in the org, imo.

I disagree. He can't have much value at this point and I think the organization has too much of a soft spot for him to trade him for scraps. I don't see him going anywhere until he runs out of options or becomes a minor league free agent. In a couple years if he hasn't put it together we should use him as a fourth or fifth outfielder.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Sep 12, 2007 -> 10:14 AM)

There's no need to denigrate Anderson's full season in Charlotte just because he's struggled ever since. Every indication was that he would be a fixture in CF at that point in time.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Sep 12, 2007 -> 08:49 AM)

Sweeney =/ Young

First of all, what's with this "=/" you're sporting everywhere? "Not equal to" is written "!=" or "~=". Just saying.

Second, I'm not saying he's Young's equal. But they are roughly the same age and had similar age 21 years in the same league. I'd rather take a chance on the potential than swap him for the next Mackowiak.

ryan Sweeney ain't gonna make it.

Let's remember that he was playing in a hitter's park in a bad, bad league.

The comparisons to Crede are silly. Crede was an MVP in both A and AA ball. Sweeney has never been close to that.

He's not even an all-star in the International League.

He hasn't even shown gap power. He's got a pretty swing, that's too long.

He can throw a little bit. But he looks a bit of plodder in the outfield (roll video of that play from Anaheim early in the season).

He's Ben Grieve Lite -- and that's not good.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Sep 12, 2007 -> 02:22 PM)
First of all, what's with this "=/" you're sporting everywhere? "Not equal to" is written "!=" or "~=". Just saying.

Second, I'm not saying he's Young's equal. But they are roughly the same age and had similar age 21 years in the same league. I'd rather take a chance on the potential than swap him for the next Mackowiak.

I'm sorry I don't know the proper protocol for "not equal to," typed. :P

The fact is, though, that Sweeney has never been projected to be half the player Young is and so saying, "Young didn't meet expectations right away" is true enough but not really.