White Sox V Twins

TLAK

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 21, 2007 -> 08:55 PM)
I'm pretty sure you agree with me that it's a good thing Gonzalez has struggled so much over the last few months, as it will likely make him a non-option for the bench last year. We both hope to see significant upgrades to our bench.

Toby Hall is probably a couple of 2 for 4 games away from making Gonzalez the worst player in the majors.

This season is a f***ing joke. Kudos to Fields and Thome, but my God -- they haven't hit Santana in five years and NOW they bust out the bats?

Sigh

Better now than never.

This is why winning is good now. Maybe we won't fear or suck against

Santana as much in the future.

Thome is on a mission of some kind. Every homer helps Fields.

Fields' batting average may suck, but what he is doing power wise is pretty amazing and taken for granted by many fans, at least that's how it appears to me.

Just win, baby! Every single game!

QUOTE(greg775 @ Sep 21, 2007 -> 08:54 PM)
Josh Fields is quietly putting together one of the best power seasons of any

rookie in Sox history.

And he's only played 2/3 of the season too. Imagine if he'd been here the whole season. He'd have to win the AL rookie of the year just on the fact that he hit 30+ HRs. To give it to Dice-K or anyone else for that matter would be a sham. Fields has 50 HR power in that bat. Once he learns to be a better hitter he'll be cranking out 40+ HRs consistently.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Sep 22, 2007 -> 01:59 AM)
Better now than never.

This is why winning is good now. Maybe we won't fear or suck against

Santana as much in the future.

Thome is on a mission of some kind. Every homer helps Fields.

Fields' batting average may suck, but what he is doing power wise is pretty amazing and taken for granted by many fans, at least that's how it appears to me.

Just win, baby! Every single game!

I'm pretty sure Fields is the main player we all want to see continue to do well the rest of the way.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Sep 21, 2007 -> 09:59 PM)
Fields' batting average may suck,

It's better than half the lineup we had in there tonight, not including himself.

So if Josh sucks with the BA, what is the excuse for these bums who not only DONT average what he averages, but CANT HIT the ball as far as him.

I still can't figure out why Josh has become the whipping boy this year...he's the one guy other than our pitchers who has given me hope that next year may not be a total sham.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 21, 2007 -> 08:59 PM)
What's your favorite Toby Hall hit of the season? I don't think I've seen more than 3 or 4 this year.

Didn't he double his first game back? That's my all time favorite. I can't remember another one. His shoulder must really be messed up because you think he would at least hit a little bit.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Sep 22, 2007 -> 02:01 AM)
Didn't he double his first game back? That's my all time favorite. I can't remember another one. His shoulder must really be messed up because you think he would at least hit a little bit.

Didn't he homer twice in the minors? Goes to show you how bad the competition is down there.

QUOTE(kwolf68 @ Sep 21, 2007 -> 08:57 PM)
This is why I think we are run by suspect individuals. We should have KNOWN Andy wasn't anything before being put into position to take this 3rd base spot.

This doesn't make any sense. Please see my above post.

QUOTE(kwolf68 @ Sep 21, 2007 -> 08:57 PM)
The fact we are left with Andy playing full time 3rd base tells the baseball world that we don't have a clue and worse yet, we don't have much talent in this system.

No it doesn't. It tells the baseball world that we're playing out the string in the last few weeks of a season that hasn't mattered for months. That we actually potentially have one too many MLB quality 3rd basemen next year and it doesn't matter who plays there right now.

If you are suggesting that "the really good organizations" are the ones that have a better 7th best option at 3rd base going into a season for when they're playing out the string on a season that doesn't matter, I wholeheartedly disagree. If we were in contention right now, Fields, Mackowiak, or Cintron would be playing third.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Sep 21, 2007 -> 08:55 PM)
This season is a f***ing joke. Kudos to Fields and Thome, but my God -- they haven't hit Santana in five years and NOW they bust out the bats?

Sigh...

With a win tonight we're unlikely to catch the Tampa, who'll be 4 losses ahead if their score holds up. That's completely unreasonable with eight games remaining.

At worst, I hope we're still in the Top 10. Recent drafts have proven that talented players are available around this position. Still, it just aggrivates the hell out of me that moments such as tonight happen. Especially now, at this point in the season, when it seems everyone else is losing.

With a win tonight we're unlikely to catch the Tampa, who'll be 4 losses ahead if their score holds up. That's completely unreasonable with eight games remaining.

At worst, I hope we're still in the Top 10. Recent drafts have proven that talented players are available around this position. Still, it just aggrivates the hell out of me that moments such as tonight happen. Especially now, at this point in the season, when it seems everyone else is losing.

Don't worry, with our bullpen you still have a chance to be happy tonight with a Sox loss.

Then you and Cub fans can congratulate together at our team's losing.

Go Soxx!!!

Fields could have around 25 HR's in 400 AB's this season.

That's a 1 in 16 chance every time he's at the plate that he'll hit a home run, which for a rookie is quite amazing.

He has some shortcomings obviously, but I think those can be fixed in the long run.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 21, 2007 -> 09:14 PM)
Fields could have around 25 HR's in 400 AB's this season.

That's a 1 in 16 chance every time he's at the plate that he'll hit a home run, which for a rookie is quite amazing.

He has some shortcomings obviously, but I think those can be fixed in the long run.

Hopefully he has a better career than another guy who homered frequently as a rookie and was ROY. It seems the Sox are definitely leaning toward bringing Crede back. Fields really needs to improve in LF to be there full time IMO. There is time for him to get adequate, but does anyone think he can play 2b?

There is a new article up on Baseball America, which included this excerpt from an American League scouting director, talking about the 2008 draft class:

"It definitely looks like it's light on players, period, at least in the upper echelon—the highest profile, top-of-the-board type of players," an AL scouting director said. "There's not very good college talent in that first, second, third pick range. If you're picking 25th, you might have a better chance at a decent college guy (whose value matches the pick), but the upper echelon of this class is not that good.

"The same in the high school ranks. Once you start getting into that 20 to 40 range, there are some that are real good, but I don't think it's a good year to be picking in the top 10 for value, when you consider what you pay for those players. If you have to pay $1 million-plus, I don't see that many guys that you would want to give that money to."

Edited by 29andPoplar

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Sep 22, 2007 -> 02:19 AM)
There is a new article up on Baseball America, which included this excerpt from an American League scouting director, talking about the 2008 draft class:

"It definitely looks like it's light on players, period, at least in the upper echelon—the highest profile, top-of-the-board type of players," an AL scouting director said. "There's not very good college talent in that first, second, third pick range. If you're picking 25th, you might have a better chance at a decent college guy (whose value matches the pick), but the upper echelon of this class is not that good.

"The same in the high school ranks. Once you start getting into that 20 to 40 range, there are some that are real good, but I don't think it's a good year to be picking in the top 10 for value, when you consider what you pay for those players. If you have to pay $1 million-plus, I don't see that many guys that you would want to give that money to."

Figures... Just like the Hawks -- the year they FINALLY win the lottery, there's no consensus 'best player available'.

BTW, 29th, did you catch the BA article about the Top 20 prospects heading to the AFL? Not one Sox player listed, IIRC, and I'd say 80% of the players were of Latin descent. Folks in the Sox organization should see that article and be embarrassed, really (if they aren't already).

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Sep 21, 2007 -> 09:19 PM)

I have to admit I'm not too familar with many collegiate or high school players this far ahead of the draft, but that excerpt is just too funny. I remember posting a comment several months ago suggesting that if we were to have decent draft position, major league insiders would say how weak the draft class was. It wasn't based on anything more than a hunch. Doesn't it make perfect sense that we'd find ourselves in such a class?

Oh well, I'm still expecting a stud. They'll have to make due at whatever position.