Top Posters In This Topic

His name always reminds me of this scene:

"[scene Another part of the room. Paper jams in the printer.]

SAMIR

Oh no! Not again! Why does it say paper jam when there is no paper

jam?!! I, I swear to God, one of these days, I, I, I just kick this

piece of s*** out the window!!!

MICHAEL

you and me both, man. The thing is lucky I'm not armed.

(Samir grabs the paper out, tearing off the bottom part of it.)

SAMIR

Piece of s***!!

(Nina comes with papers.)

NINA

Sam...ire...Na...Na...Naga...

(Samir gets it.)

NINA

Uh-huh!

SAMIR

Please.

(He sits in his and Michael's cubicle.)

NINA

Michael… - (Michael reaches for it) Bolton?

MICHAEL

That's me.

NINA

Wow! Is that your real name?

MICHAEL

Yeah.

NINA

So are you related to the singer guy?

MICHAEL

No, it's just a coincidence.

SAMIR

How come no one in this country can pronounce my name right? It's Na-

gee-een-ah-jah. Nagaenajar"

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Sep 23, 2007 -> 03:26 PM)
Are they paying him to speak?

No. I believe that they are also allowing students to question him as well. It's my understanding that his speaking engagement at Columbia will not just be a speech from a bully pulpit. In fact, the President of the University himself plans on challenging the Iranian president over the following:

* the Iranian president’s denial of the Holocaust;

* his public call for the destruction of the State of Israel;

* his reported support for international terrorism that targets innocent civilians and American troops;

* Iran's pursuit of nuclear ambitions in opposition to international sanction;

* his government's widely documented suppression of civil society and particularly of women's rights; and

* his government's imprisoning of journalists and scholars, including one of Columbia’s own alumni, Dr. Kian Tajbakhsh.

I don't understand why people are pissed that we are allowing the ruler of a despotic country the freedom to make an ass of himself. This is America. We don't restrict the movement of our citizens or our visitors, by and large - and we shouldn't do that to a head of state because we disagree with his policies. And if making an embarrassment of yourself is good enough for Britney Spears, its definitely adequate for this douchebag.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Sep 24, 2007 -> 12:04 AM)
No. I believe that they are also allowing students to question him as well. It's my understanding that his speaking engagement at Columbia will not just be a speech from a bully pulpit. In fact, the President of the University himself plans on challenging the Iranian president over the following:

I don't understand why people are pissed that we are allowing the ruler of a despotic country the freedom to make an ass of himself. This is America. We don't restrict the movement of our citizens or our visitors, by and large - and we shouldn't do that to a head of state because we disagree with his policies. And if making an embarrassment of yourself is good enough for Britney Spears, its definitely adequate for this douchebag.

If they are NOT paying him, and are allowed to ask actual tough questions (NOT "boxers or briefs"), then I don't have a problem with him speaking there. Just make sure the cameras are rolling! However, he should not be allowed anywhere near ground zero.

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Sep 24, 2007 -> 08:32 AM)
If they are NOT paying him, and are allowed to ask actual tough questions (NOT "boxers or briefs"), then I don't have a problem with him speaking there. Just make sure the cameras are rolling! However, he should not be allowed anywhere near ground zero.

Probably too soon to be at ground zero. But we do allow Japanese tourists to tour the USS Arizona Memorial.

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Sep 24, 2007 -> 08:32 AM)

I can definitely understand the hatred flung at this guy but where is the hatred for Saudi leaders? Weren't most of the 9/11 hijackers Saudis? Not only are we continuing to sell arms to the Saudis but I don't hear much outrage against the Saudi government. Their country seems just as wacko as Iran's. Public beheadings and all.

I believe the American public, for the most part, thinks that everyone thinks like us. They think everyine believes what we believe. It is informative, and in the long run, a good thing, when mainstream Americans understand they do not, not by a wide margin.

It cracks me up that people are so OK with this. I guess it shows how great this country is and what great principles we have, allowing this piece of garbage into the country, let alone the opportunity to speak in public.

Can you imagine if Bush repeatedly stated that all Muslims should die (ALL of them) or something like the genocides in Rawanda/Darfur didn't happen, all right before taking a trip either to a heavily Muslim populated country or to Africa? An entire army division couldn't protect Bush from the people who would try to kill him.

And what do we do? We show our extreme apathetic nature and invite this guy to speak as a guest in a major university in the country. He's mocking us by showing up here. He's trying to be "the good guy" when behind the scenes he's working towards the destruction of the West.

I HOPE the dean/president of the school asks him the tough questions, but I won't hold my breath.

If we truly believe in freedom of speech, doesn't it show the world we can walk the talk? Isn't there some value in that?

It seems we only believe in freedom of speech we agree with. Forget about probable cause and innocent until proven guilty. It saddens me how fast some groups will toss away our ideals.

QUOTE(Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 24, 2007 -> 10:31 AM)
It cracks me up that people are so OK with this. I guess it shows how great this country is and what great principles we have, allowing this piece of garbage into the country, let alone the opportunity to speak in public.

Can you imagine if Bush repeatedly stated that all Muslims should die (ALL of them) or something like the genocides in Rawanda/Darfur didn't happen, all right before taking a trip either to a heavily Muslim populated country or to Africa? An entire army division couldn't protect Bush from the people who would try to kill him.

And what do we do? We show our extreme apathetic nature and invite this guy to speak as a guest in a major university in the country. He's mocking us by showing up here. He's trying to be "the good guy" when behind the scenes he's working towards the destruction of the West.

I HOPE the dean/president of the school asks him the tough questions, but I won't hold my breath.

I actually think the fact that he is allowed to come here and speak says a lot positive about this country.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 24, 2007 -> 03:34 PM)
I actually think the fact that he is allowed to come here and speak says a lot positive about this country.

And that's pretty much what the Bushies say. We allow him to come here and express his beliefs, so why don't Iran try it?

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Sep 24, 2007 -> 10:36 AM)
And that's pretty much what the Bushies say. We allow him to come here and express his beliefs, so why don't Iran try it?

Good. While I vehemently disagreed with the forced attempt at democracy and capitalism in Iraq, I do believe that the more westernization we can encourage in places like Iran, the better off the world will be. The more people in Iran come to like a western lifestyle, the leadership there will either need to moderate, or will react the other way into the extreme, and then a real political change may occur.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Sep 24, 2007 -> 10:36 AM)

Well Jenks and a couple others here would agree with Iran on not allowing Bush to speak. That seems reasonable, why allow someone who is so radically different than you, who speaks out against what you believe in, to speak?

I think it proves what NSS said, we're better for it.

If we truly believe in freedom of speech, doesn't it show the world we can walk the talk? Isn't there some value in that?

It seems we only believe in freedom of speech we agree with. Forget about probable cause and innocent until proven guilty. It saddens me how fast some groups will toss away our ideals.

This argument never flies. There have always been exceptions to this freedom and there always will be, for good reason. And what do you mean probable cause and innocent until proven guilty? Last I checked he's on record stating he wants to wipe Jews off the Earth and that the Holocaust never happened. I guess we can squabble over what "is" means, but he said what he said. There's no lost in translation issue here.

Well Jenks and a couple others here would agree with Iran on not allowing Bush to speak. That seems reasonable, why allow someone who is so radically different than you, who speaks out against what you believe in, to speak?

I think it proves what NSS said, we're better for it.

I'm not opposed to the government not stopping this guy from speaking, per say, I'm upset that more Americans aren't outraged by this. I want to see protests at the school. I want this country to actually care enough to voice their opinion about a man who wants to destroy the west. This is exactly what I was talking about in another post about liberals being so neutral. It's a wonderful thing that we are a civil society and don't resort to violence to oppose his views. But it also shows how backwards we are merely thinking his views are "radically different." You can't say the f'n "n-word" in this country out of context without people all up in arms about it, but this guy calls for the murder of millions and its fine and dandy.

And I know that no one believes what he believes or thinks its right for him to do it. That's not the point.

I was not speaking specifically about this man and probable cause, it was a generalization of those who seem willing to toss away freedoms as long as it is based on a group they don't agree with.

Outraged because some crazy is speaking and his rhetoric isn't worth the paper it's written on? Seems like style over substance. Seems backward that this guy should receive all that attention. That would add legitimacy to the speech. I go with the benign neglect approach.

Liberals? Yep, here's what that outstanding liberal Nuke said :lolhitting

QUOTE(Brian @ Sep 24, 2007 -> 09:07 AM) post_snapback.gifNobody should show up. Students, press, nobody. Let him talk to an empty room.

Quote Nuke:

I agree with you in principle but it's kind of like a car wreck or a freak show. People will show up out of morbid curiosity.

QUOTE(Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 24, 2007 -> 11:32 AM)
This argument never flies. There have always been exceptions to this freedom and there always will be, for good reason. And what do you mean probable cause and innocent until proven guilty? Last I checked he's on record stating he wants to wipe Jews off the Earth and that the Holocaust never happened. I guess we can squabble over what "is" means, but he said what he said. There's no lost in translation issue here.

I'm not opposed to the government not stopping this guy from speaking, per say, I'm upset that more Americans aren't outraged by this. I want to see protests at the school. I want this country to actually care enough to voice their opinion about a man who wants to destroy the west. This is exactly what I was talking about in another post about liberals being so neutral. It's a wonderful thing that we are a civil society and don't resort to violence to oppose his views. But it also shows how backwards we are merely thinking his views are "radically different." You can't say the f'n "n-word" in this country out of context without people all up in arms about it, but this guy calls for the murder of millions and its fine and dandy.

And I know that no one believes what he believes or thinks its right for him to do it. That's not the point.

There are protests. Lots of them. As there should be. Just as Imanutjob should be allowed to speak. Those together provide the world a great reminder of what makes this country something special.