Amenenawhatshisname in NYC.

NUKE_CLEVELAND

QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 24, 2007 -> 03:46 PM)
Well Jenks and a couple others here would agree with Iran on not allowing Bush to speak. That seems reasonable, why allow someone who is so radically different than you, who speaks out against what you believe in, to speak?

I think it proves what NSS said, we're better for it.

i wouldn't allow Bush to speak in my living room. :usa

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So everyone get's mad when a represive leader comes to our country to be asked tough question's, but it's cool if our President goes to Saudia Arabia and hangs out with the House of Saud. Who have done the same type of thing's as Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ Sep 24, 2007 -> 09:40 PM)
So everyone get's mad when a represive leader comes to our country to be asked tough question's, but it's cool if our President goes to Saudia Arabia and hangs out with the House of Saud. Who have done the same type of thing's as Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

I don't see ANY leader of the United States being allowed to go into a Madrassa in the Middle East and speaking about "freedoms and opportunity". Therefore, you don't have a valid comparison.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Sep 24, 2007 -> 04:44 PM)
I don't see ANY leader of the United States being allowed to go into a Madrassa in the Middle East and speaking about "freedoms and opportunity". Therefore, you don't have a valid comparison.

I think you missed his point. I took his post to mean that its maybe hypocritical to be mad about Ahmednutjob talking here, when Bush goes and hangs with the Saudis who are in some ways just as bad as Iran's government.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 24, 2007 -> 09:49 PM)
I think you missed his point. I took his post to mean that its maybe hypocritical to be mad about Ahmednutjob talking here, when Bush goes and hangs with the Saudis who are in some ways just as bad as Iran's government.

Well, that's true, except that the Saudis haven't OPENLY said they want to destroy Isreal, etc.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Sep 24, 2007 -> 04:50 PM)
Well, that's true, except that the Saudis haven't OPENLY said they want to destroy Isreal, etc.

Other than the whole Israel thing, which of course is a big deal, what's the difference between Iran and Saudi Arabia?

Columbia's President tore into the Iranian President during his introduction.

Excerpts of Columbia University President Lee Bollinger's introduction of Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadenijad:

_ On human rights:

The (recent) arrest and imprisonment of these Iranian-Americans for no good reason is not only unjustified, it runs completely counter to the very values that allow today's speaker to even appear on this campus. But at least they are alive. ... Iran hanged up to 30 people this past July and August during a widely reported suppression of efforts to establish a more democratic society. Many of these executions were carried out in public view, a violation of the international covenant of civil and political rights to which Iran is a party. ...

Let's then, be clear at the beginning — Mr. President, you exhibit all the signs of a petty and cruel dictator. And, so, I ask you — and so I ask you, why have women, members of the Bahai faith, homosexuals and so many of our academic colleagues become targets of persecution in your country?

_ On the Holocaust:

In a December 2005 state television broadcast, you described the Holocaust as the fabricated legend. One year later you held a two-day conference of Holocaust deniers. For the illiterate and ignorant this is dangerous propaganda. When you come to a place like in this makes you quite simply ridiculous. You are either brazenly provocative or astonishingly uneducated. ... The truth is that the Holocaust is the most documented event in human history. ... Will you cease this outrage?

_ On Israel:

Twelve days ago you said that the state of Israel cannot continue its life. This echoed a number of inflammatory statements you have delivered in the past two years including in October 2005, you said that Israel should be wiped off the map, quote-unquote. ... Personally I have spoken out in most forceful terms against proposals to boycott Israeli scholars and universities, saying that such boycotts might as well include Columbia. More than 400 college and university presidents in this country have joined in that statement. My question then is, do you plan on wiping us off the map, too?

_ On proxy war against the U.S. in Iraq:

A number of Columbia graduates and current students are among the brave members of our military who are serving or have served in Iraq and Afghanistan. ... Can you tell them and us why Iran is fighting a proxy war in Iraq by arming Shia militia targeting and killing U.S troops?

_ On Iran's nuclear program:

Why does your country continue to refuse to adhere to international standards for nuclear weapons verification in defiance of agreements that you have made with the U.N. nuclear agency? And why have you chosen to make the people of your country vulnerable to the effects of international economic sanctions and threaten to engulf the world in nuclear annihilation?

_ In summary:

Frankly, and in all candor, Mr. President, I doubt that you will have the intellectual courage to answer these questions, but your avoiding them will in itself be meaningful to us. I do expect you to exhibit the fanatical mindset that characterizes so much of what you say and do.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Sep 24, 2007 -> 04:44 PM)

There's a big difference between Columbia and a Madrassa. You don't exactly see Muslim leaders flocking to Liberty or Oral Roberts, do you?

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 24, 2007 -> 03:53 PM)
That's great, but, whomever wrote the article seems to have missed a key piece - what were his responses?

From a mere blog, which I'm sure will get me yelled at by someone:

The Iranian president responded by departing from his prepared remarks. "I think the text read by the dear gentleman here, more than addressing me, was an insult to information and the knowledge of the audience present here," Ahmadinejad said, according to a translated transcript. "Nonetheless, I should not begin by being affected by this unfriendly treatment."

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 24, 2007 -> 05:56 PM)
<!--quoteo(post=1509018:date=Sep 24, 2007 -> 03:53 PM:name=NorthSideSox72)-->
QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 24, 2007 -> 03:53 PM)
<!--quotec-->That's great, but, whomever wrote the article seems to have missed a key piece - what were his responses?

From a mere blog, which I'm sure will get me yelled at by someone:

*applause*

I don' have a problem with the Iranian leader speaking at Columbia.

It's also great to see that we didn't have conservative students charging the stage, attacking the guy, and making fools out of themselves (like their liberal counterparts did during that speech for the guy with the minutemen).

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 24, 2007 -> 06:09 PM)
Then he has no idea what the education system is supposed to be. I suppose he prefers indoctrination to open discourse.

Well, conservative indoctrination.

I just laughed that everybody was wringing their hands that Ahmed... got to speak to 2,000 people. To show their outrage, these same hand wringers then allowed video footage of Admed..'s commentary to be aired to countless millions of people.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Sep 24, 2007 -> 08:20 PM)
Well, conservative indoctrination.

:lol:

Well, I don't think you have to worry about that. Most of the non-mathematical science professors I had in college were definitely lefty wing. Some of them were good professors, others just required memorization of their misguided opinions.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Sep 24, 2007 -> 08:19 PM)
I don' have a problem with the Iranian leader speaking at Columbia.

It's also great to see that we didn't have conservative students charging the stage, attacking the guy, and making fools out of themselves (like their liberal counterparts did during that speech for the guy with the minutemen).

1. I guess only conservatives hate dictators.

2. What are you implying -- that only liberals have ever charged a speaker? Give me a break. Everything isn't a political war between Democrats and Republicans or (western) conservative and (western) liberal.

I'm just happy no White Sox fans charged Mahmoud Ahmaniac!

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Sep 24, 2007 -> 09:15 PM)
1. I guess only conservatives hate dictators.

2. What are you implying -- that only liberals have ever charged a speaker? Give me a break. Everything isn't a political war between Democrats and Republicans or (western) conservative and (western) liberal.

I'm just happy no White Sox fans charged Mahmoud Ahmaniac!

It was the conservative groups on campus that had a "problem" with him being there (or at least they were the ones which were vocally against it), so they would be the demographic that would be most likely to try to break up the speech. If the liberal groups are so offended by the guys hate speech, how come they feel that they need to attack some guy from the minutemen or throw urine laced pies at pro-GOP speakers but give the guy from Iran a total pass? I think politics has a lot to do with it. If GW Bush is against someone, they feel by default they have to at least quietly support that person.

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Sep 24, 2007 -> 09:32 PM)
Well, I've completely changed my mind. Liberal Democrats

:lol:

Well, I was just talking about the fringe groups, not liberals in general. And I was glad that conservative groups let the guy speak, as should all invited speakers be allowed to.

He reiterated his desire to visit ground zero to express sympathy with the victims of the Sept. 11 attacks, but then appeared to question whether al-Qaida was responsible.

"Why did this happen? What caused it? What conditions led to it?" he said. "Who truly was involved? Who was really involved and put it all together?"

This is why you dont let this s***head go to ground zero.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Sep 24, 2007 -> 09:11 PM)
Here is an example of some of their womens rights.

stoning.jpg

a254.jpg

And this is why he doesn't believe that Iran has any gay people.

40.jpg

First one look like a photoshop job. If they were strapped to a gurney and given lethal injection would you feel better? This is one reason I am against capital punishment, how can we get all righteous when we kill people all the time?

QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 24, 2007 -> 09:47 PM)
First one look like a photoshop job. If they were strapped to a gurney and given lethal injection would you feel better? This is one reason I am against capital punishment, how can we get all righteous when we kill people all the time?

There is a slight difference in the lethal injection of murderers, and the stoning of girls who were raped, had pre-marital sex or men who were gay.

Edited by southsideirish71