The environment thread

BigSqwert

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 16, 2013 -> 04:30 AM)

Hah, this is so far from our biggest concern right now...

I'm still waiting for these guys to realize that all of our renewal energy is still backed by conventional sources...I'm not sure they have discovered this yet :)

I'm going to be working with Roger Scruton's How to Think Seriously About the Planet: The Case for an Environmental Conservatism in a course this semester, and I'm very excited. Scruton is a really good thinker on the conservative end of the spectrum and I've really enjoyed some of his work, including his "Short Introduction to Beauty"

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/019989557...=UTF8&psc=1

• 2 weeks later...

The amount of money the federal government spends on wildfire prevention has been cut nearly in half compared to a couple years ago. The cut this year is about $200 million.

Last summer the Forest Service wanted to clear 8 large areas in the Stanislaus National Forest, just outside of Yosemite.

Those areas were not cleared because there was not money to do so.

The Rim Fire, currently burning in California, torched through those areas and those areas were key to helping the fire burn out of control.

The cost of fighting the Rim Fire is already at $72 million and it will probably approach $100 million by the time it's done.

What a great example of idiotic budgeting. We take $200 million+ from the fire prevention budget, we clear fewer areas, and we wind up with extra $100 million fires to fight.

Oh, and since the firefighting budget for this year was depleted even more by the sequester, the money to fight the Rim Fire is going to come from the fire prevention budget for next year.

• 2 months later...

Do you guys and girls think that in 100 years there will no longer be a real winter in places like Chicago and Minneapolis?

Isn't it obvious that in 500 years the planet will be in very very deep trouble. Will there even be a Florida? Will there be a Gulf Coast? Will there be a California? Hmmm. Does anybody care?

Do you guys and girls think that in 100 years there will no longer be a real winter in places like Chicago and Minneapolis?

Isn't it obvious that in 500 years the planet will be in very very deep trouble. Will there even be a Florida? Will there be a Gulf Coast? Will there be a California? Hmmm. Does anybody care?

The planet will reach a serious critical point long before it gets warm enough to end winter in the upper Midwest.

• 5 weeks later...
QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 6, 2013 -> 05:45 PM)
Bush lets evil corporations kill eagles to keep precious energy companies in operation.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/d...;utm_medium=RSS

What a jerk.

Wind farms — the fields of windmill turbines that dot the landscape — kill about 440,000 birds of all species every year, according to a government estimate,
Are you opposed to buildings?

An estimated 300 million to 1 billion birds die each year from collisions with glass on buildings, from skyscrapers to homes.

Cars?

Cars may kill 60 million or more birds each year

Pesticides?

In one recent study, pesticides were estimated to result in the direct deaths of 72 million birds annually. This is an underestimate of the total deaths given that delayed chicks from poisoned prey, orphaned chicks, and neurological problems were not included and the study site was limited

Cats?

A recent study in Wisconsin estimated that in that state alone, domestic rural cats kill roughly 39 million birds annually. Add the deaths caused by feral cats or domestic cats in urban and suburban areas and this figure would be much higher

Electric transmission?

Actual mortality could be as high as 174 million deaths annually

Fossil fuel extraction?

Up to two million birds are killed anually in oil and wastewater pits, mainly in the western states

Remarkable how that gets to pretend to be a talking point against wind farms when they're actually taking strides to minimize it, whereas few to none of the others have to do so, unless you've seen some sort of effort to protect buildings from bald eagle strikes other than clear-cutting the forest nearby.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 6, 2013 -> 03:08 PM)

Cars?

Pesticides?

Cats?

Electric transmission?

Fossil fuel extraction?

Remarkable how that gets to pretend to be a talking point against wind farms when they're actually taking strides to minimize it, whereas few to none of the others have to do so, unless you've seen some sort of effort to protect buildings from bald eagle strikes other than clear-cutting the forest nearby.

^The definition of PWNED

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 6, 2013 -> 05:08 PM)

Cars?

Pesticides?

Cats?

Electric transmission?

Fossil fuel extraction?

You know I couldn't even count the number of dead eagles I saw downtown today there were so many. I would love to see a Catskills a bald eagle. Your liberal douchiness is astounding.

QUOTE (Cknolls @ Dec 6, 2013 -> 05:45 PM)
You know I couldn't even count the number of dead eagles I saw downtown today there were so many. I would love to see a Catskills a bald eagle. Your liberal douchiness is astounding.

good post compelling argument would read again a+++++++!

QUOTE (Cknolls @ Dec 6, 2013 -> 06:45 PM)

You can also notice that here are the details from the article you quoted which give a firm number for "bald eagles killed by wind farms".

I would like you to prove you're not equally douchy by taking that exact figure and calculating the probability of finding a dead bald eagle at a wind farm.

Dude, wind farms are an eyesore. The Columbia River Gorge is ruined by them, as is the US-2 run up to Glacier NP through the Blackfoot res and so is Elk Mountain. Theyre cool the first time you see one but they look like s*** after that.

If you want to preserve the earth's natural beauty, a rare (I think only) instance where I endorse government involvement domestically youre doing a lot more harm than good with wind farms. Find something else less obtrusive. If I have to sacrifice to save the planet I still want to enjoy the scenery were trying to save

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Dec 7, 2013 -> 01:52 AM)
Dude, wind farms are an eyesore. The Columbia River Gorge is ruined by them, as is the US-2 run up to Glacier NP through the Blackfoot res and so is Elk Mountain. Theyre cool the first time you see one but they look like s*** after that.

If you want to preserve the earth's natural beauty, a rare (I think only) instance where I endorse government involvement domestically youre doing a lot more harm than good with wind farms. Find something else less obtrusive. If I have to sacrifice to save the planet I still want to enjoy the scenery were trying to save

:lolhitting

Because we care a ton about how bad coal mines look in Montana.