The environment thread

BigSqwert

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 15, 2014 -> 04:51 PM)
2.) A few people got on me on here recently for b****ing about the unbelievably cold weather that gripped the country for about a month straight. I made a crack about global warming and people attacked me for suggesting it was not real. My question to you then is: "What's with the f***ing 10 below temperatures all over for a month???" They were real and they were here and I froze my ass off and even had to buy long underwear cause I could take it no longer!

cold.png

Went to a lecture from a climatologist yesterday. She was showing us projections showing that North Africa, Southern Europe, and the Middle East will be facing huge decreases in precipitation in the next 50 years. Most of the world will be getting wetter, but of course those places...of course not.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 24, 2014 -> 02:40 PM)
Went to a lecture from a climatologist yesterday. She was showing us projections showing that North Africa, Southern Europe, and the Middle East will be facing huge decreases in precipitation in the next 50 years. Most of the world will be getting wetter, but of course those places...of course not.

The American West, much of it, will also be (by models I have seen) getting less precipitation. Desertification continues. And at least in that regional case, it is exaserbating an existing problem. The southwest has been drying steadily for a few thousand years now, but the rate is increasing.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 29, 2014 -> 01:22 PM)
The American West, much of it, will also be (by models I have seen) getting less precipitation. Desertification continues. And at least in that regional case, it is exaserbating an existing problem. The southwest has been drying steadily for a few thousand years now, but the rate is increasing.

We also seem to be draining the Ogallala Aquifer at a pretty good rate.

• 4 weeks later...

I guess I'll throw this in here. We're trying to create and bottle a star for potential energy. Craziness:

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2014/03...currentPage=all

No one knows iter’s true cost, which may be incalculable, but estimates have been rising steadily, and a conservative figure rests at twenty billion dollars—a sum that makes iter the most expensive scientific instrument on Earth. But if it is truly possible to bottle up a star, and to do so economically, the technology could solve the world’s energy problems for the next thirty million years, and help save the planet from environmental catastrophe. Hydrogen, a primordial element, is the most abundant atom in the universe, a potential fuel that poses little risk of scarcity. Eventually, physicists hope, commercial reactors modelled on iter will be built, too—generating terawatts of power with no carbon, virtually no pollution, and scant radioactive waste. The reactor would run on no more than seawater and lithium. It would never melt down. It would realize a yearning, as old as the story of Prometheus, to bring the light of the heavens to Earth, and bend it to humanity’s will. iter, in Latin, means “the way.”

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 27, 2014 -> 11:07 AM)
Nuclear fusion power production has been about 30 years off since the 1950's.

Have you been keeping up with NIF? They've actually made some real progress in the last 6 months (minus the 4 week break they took for no good reason last October).

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 13, 2014 -> 10:04 AM)
Meh, no one visited anyway.

Once those go, it will be the equivalent of the Hurricane Sandy Storm Surge, worldwide, on an average day. The results just out suggest that those glaciers melting cannot be avoided; nothing we change will prevent it. Hopefully it'll take a few hundred years, but yeah, I'd be selling my oceanfront property if I had any.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 13, 2014 -> 09:58 AM)
Once those go, it will be the equivalent of the Hurricane Sandy Storm Surge, worldwide, on an average day. The results just out suggest that those glaciers melting cannot be avoided; nothing we change will prevent it. Hopefully it'll take a few hundred years, but yeah, I'd be selling my oceanfront property if I had any.

Might be time to look into an investment in Otisburg though.

It'll take hundreds of years. Think about the world 200 years ago. Why do we think coastal cities will still be the norm? Why do we assume we won't have technology to deal with it later?

f***ing Al Gore and his doomsday scenario crap. I love that you guys were all over the Bush Admn for fear mongering and you don't see how Gore & Co. startedthe same thing. I'm still waiting for the non-stop category 5 hurricanes and tornadoes we were supposed to get ten years ago.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 13, 2014 -> 11:04 AM)
It'll take hundreds of years. Think about the world 200 years ago. Why do we think coastal cities will still be the norm? Why do we assume we won't have technology to deal with it later?

f***ing Al Gore and his doomsday scenario crap. I love that you guys were all over the Bush Admn for fear mongering and you don't see how Gore & Co. startedthe same thing. I'm still waiting for the non-stop category 5 hurricanes and tornadoes we were supposed to get ten years ago.

Great job of ignoring the hundreds of billions of dollars of increased spending on disaster relief over the past few years.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 13, 2014 -> 10:12 AM)
Great job of ignoring the hundreds of billions of dollars of increased spending on disaster relief over the past few years.

Because we never had the need for disaster relief before? And the only possibly explanation is climate change?

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 13, 2014 -> 09:58 AM)

It's only going to effect rich people so who cares.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 13, 2014 -> 10:04 AM)

Just want to make sure I understand this...

A group of scientists use various mathematical and computer simulations, with hard data available, to show how this ice shelf is cleaving off and will melt and cause oceans to rise... and your reaction is to blame Al Gore?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 13, 2014 -> 11:58 AM)
Just want to make sure I understand this...

A group of scientists use various mathematical and computer simulations, with hard data available, to show how this ice shelf is cleaving off and will melt and cause oceans to rise... and your reaction is to blame Al Gore?

No, the response of "OMG THE ICE IS MELTING EVERYONE RUN FOR THE HILLS!" i'm attributing to Al Gore, who started this nonsense that climate change was an issue that would result in immediate, catastrophic problems. It's funny when you read the stories about this study, the fact that it's going to take HUNDREDS of years to melt is very much secondary to the story. It sells better when you say the ice shelf is melting and ocean levels will rise 10 feet and there's nothing we can do about. I think that comes directly from the success of an Inconvenient Truth and the like. It created an entire generation of people who actually think that way, and so of course the media is going to play it up to them.

Hell, Balta, who knows this stuff better than anyone, said he would sell his ocean front property. Why? We have 2-300 years until this becomes an issue. And as I said before, whose to say it's going to be an issue then? Who's to say we'll even be on Earth then?