The environment thread

BigSqwert

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 06:03 PM)
Yeah but apparently we'd rather spend the $500B on construction jobs, government health care, wars, and everything the hell else. Nevermind that energy infrastructure changes are without a doubt the best ROI candidate. No no, we can't be getting off our oil, now, can we? We have to create LOW paying jobs! Tech sucks, why invest in that?

Actually, that would do almost nothing to get us off of oil. Like I said, that study doesn't include transportation at all. It is entirely electricity/energy generation, coal, natural gas, processes in factories, heating/cooling, etc. There's plenty of other stuff to be done with oil, but it's not in that study.

And since 60% of the stimulus bill was tax cuts...we're not spending $500b on construction either. Wars, yeah, that's a good $2-3 trillion.

Just keeping you honest :P

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 08:08 PM)
Actually, that would do almost nothing to get us off of oil. Like I said, that study doesn't include transportation at all. It is entirely electricity/energy generation, coal, natural gas, processes in factories, heating/cooling, etc. There's plenty of other stuff to be done with oil, but it's not in that study.

And since 60% of the stimulus bill was tax cuts...we're not spending $500b on construction either. Wars, yeah, that's a good $2-3 trillion.

Just keeping you honest :P

My reply was an attempt at Kaperboletm.

Anyway though, energy generation does indeed take oil, along with gas and coal. Various types of oil and gas in fact.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 08:14 PM)
My reply was an attempt at Liberboletm.

Anyway though, energy generation does indeed take oil, along with gas and coal. Various types of oil and gas in fact.

Heeeeeee.... I like it, but it's not as katchy as Kaperbole ™. :)

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jul 30, 2009 -> 07:54 PM)
LMFAO. You mean people are actually using this? Well, we better s***can it!

And you same people want them to control health care? Please.

what in the hell are you talking about? This program is, so far, a raging success. So basically, you just said you want the government to run health care.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 30, 2009 -> 05:58 PM)
what in the hell are you talking about? This program is, so far, a raging success. So basically, you just said you want the government to run health care.

Everyone might love the government plan because it's so much better run and flock to it, causing the dying insurance companies that have run our system in to the ground to send their last gasp of lobbyist cash to Congress and plead for them to shut it down.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 30, 2009 -> 07:58 PM)

They are suspending it because it's costing too much. Read the article.

The best part is that a lot of people are just trading in their old 12 MPG SUV's for new 14 or 15 MPG SUV's. Chrysler's ad for this features nothing but SUV's and Jeeps.

I saw a Tesla on the road today. The guy wanted to race me. He had a good license plate: "SIN GAS" (I'm guessing he's using the Spanish 'sin')

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 30, 2009 -> 08:01 PM)
Everyone might love the government plan because it's so much better run and flock to it, causing the dying insurance companies that have run our system in to the ground to send their last gasp of lobbyist cash to Congress and plead for them to shut it down.

OH SO MUCH BETTER RUN! OH, the government MY SAVIOR! :headbang :headbang :headbang :notworthy :notworthy

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jul 30, 2009 -> 08:01 PM)

I did, and that is not what it says. It says they are seeing much higher demand than expected, and they are afraid that too many people are looking to take advantage of it.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 30, 2009 -> 08:02 PM)
The best part is that a lot of people are just trading in their old 12 MPG SUV's for new 14 or 15 MPG SUV's. Chrysler's ad for this features nothing but SUV's and Jeeps.

I saw a Tesla on the road today. The guy wanted to race me. He had a good license plate: "SIN GAS" (I'm guessing he's using the Spanish 'sin')

And that part is indeed a shame. It accomplishes the economic goal, but not the environmental one (at least not much anyway).

But I can't believe some people are so focused on finding any fault with Obama that they somehow manage to point out a program succeeding beyond expectations as some sort of failure in that light.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 30, 2009 -> 08:07 PM)
And that part is indeed a shame. It accomplishes the economic goal, but not the environmental one (at least not much anyway).

But I can't believe some people are so focused on finding any fault with Obama that they somehow manage to point out a program succeeding beyond expectations as some sort of failure in that light.

Yes, they are suspending it because OMG it WORKS! We better cut the funding for THAT PDQ. It's going to cost more then expected, whoa, SHOCKER.

The main point is that it's not the government's role to do this s***. Yet, when they do something that works, we better shut it down... yes, that's inconsistent, but they should have never done it to begin with.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jul 30, 2009 -> 08:01 PM)

They think the 1 billion went way faster than they thought and there is such a backlog due to demand that they don't even know how many cars were traded in. I actually think the cash for clunkers plan was a great idea, a program that actually stimulated the economy. It's possible they expand it. I think there should be stricter rules on the mpg of the new car though.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 30, 2009 -> 06:02 PM)

See, this is where using "Miles per gallon" isn't actually the most helpful way to look at it. If you flip that over, to gallons used per number of miles, you see something striking; that is a huge cut in oil consumption.

A car getting 12 mpg uses up 1000 gallons of gas to go 12000 miles (Average year).

A car getting 14 mpg uses 857 gallons of gas to go that far. That's 143 fewer gallons used

For comparison...there is a 144 gallon difference over 12000 miles between a car getting 26 mpg and a car getting 40 mpg. Going from 12 to 15 mpg saves as much gas per year as going from 24 to 40 mpg.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 30, 2009 -> 08:38 PM)
See, this is where using "Miles per gallon" isn't actually the most helpful way to look at it. If you flip that over, to gallons used per number of miles, you see something striking; that is a huge cut in oil consumption.

A car getting 12 mpg uses up 1000 gallons of gas to go 12000 miles (Average year).

A car getting 14 mpg uses 857 gallons of gas to go that far. That's 143 fewer gallons used

For comparison...there is a 144 gallon difference over 12000 miles between a car getting 26 mpg and a car getting 40 mpg. Going from 12 to 15 mpg saves as much gas per year as going from 24 to 40 mpg.

Yeah, and a 12MPG to a 14MPG car is still an 18% increase in MPG. It still has a positive effect (unless manufacturing of that new car uses more fuel than it saves!), it just sucks that people are being actively persuaded by auto makers to switch to something slightly more efficient instead of switching to something much more efficient. Going to even a large sedan that gets 24 MPG (and can still comfortably hold 4 people) would be that much better.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Jul 30, 2009 -> 08:25 PM)
They think the 1 billion went way faster than they thought and there is such a backlog due to demand that they don't even know how many cars were traded in. I actually think the cash for clunkers plan was a great idea, a program that actually stimulated the economy. It's possible they expand it. I think there should be stricter rules on the mpg of the new car though.

I agree. And so does Nancy Pelosi, according to her statements late yesterday.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 30, 2009 -> 09:15 PM)
kap you actually managed to make sense, why didn't you just do that in the first place? Is it just more fun to make people wade through the rants?

Dammit lost, that is my response to Kap. Seriously, that's some fricking copyright infringement right there.