The environment thread

BigSqwert

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There are coyotes in the city of Chicago. They eat rats, mice, possum and racoons which all of which are major issues in the city. They also do not want to live in my house or garage. I welcome the coyotes.

BTW, I am not a fan of cats or small dogs, they freak me out. Actually all smaller animals seem to scare me more than larger ones.

Edited by Jenks Heat

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Nov 13, 2009 -> 09:31 AM)
There are coyotes in the city of Chicago. They eat rats, mice, possum and racoons which all of which are major issues in the city. They also do not want to live in my house or garage. I welcome the coyotes.

BTW, I am not a fan of cats or small dogs, they freak me out. Actually all smaller animals seem to scare me more than larger ones.

Yeah, I tend to agree - they are predators for things we don't want and that are overpopulated. They will also, unfortunately, occasionally take small pets - but that is rare, and people can take precautions.

But what will happen more and more, and is already happening in the burbs where coyote are more common now, is that people are freaking out about not only pets, but also their kids. Mind you, their kid is more likely to be killed by a racoon (or a rat or other disease carrying animal), but, a recent news story will make things worse - a woman in Canada was actually killed by coyotes. They think it is probably the first human death by coyote in modern recorded history for the US and Canada. So again, very, very, very, very rare - but that's all it takes for some folks to get into a panic. I really wish those people would focus on things that are actually likely to hurt their children, but, oh well.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 13, 2009 -> 07:40 AM)
Yeah, I tend to agree - they are predators for things we don't want and that are overpopulated. They will also, unfortunately, occasionally take small pets - but that is rare, and people can take precautions.

But what will happen more and more, and is already happening in the burbs where coyote are more common now, is that people are freaking out about not only pets, but also their kids. Mind you, their kid is more likely to be killed by a racoon (or a rat or other disease carrying animal), but, a recent news story will make things worse - a woman in Canada was actually killed by coyotes. They think it is probably the first human death by coyote in modern recorded history for the US and Canada. So again, very, very, very, very rare - but that's all it takes for some folks to get into a panic. I really wish those people would focus on things that are actually likely to hurt their children, but, oh well.

We're still angry at wolves and coyotes for never domesticating themselves, so they've all got to be killed. Preferably from helicopter because that makes you feel extra manly.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 13, 2009 -> 11:08 AM)
We're still angry at wolves and coyotes for never domesticating themselves, so they've all got to be killed. Preferably from helicopter because that makes you feel extra manly.

White Fang was domesticated. I saw the movie and read the book.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 13, 2009 -> 09:40 AM)

Jeesh...you and Balta have minds like freaking steel traps. How do you read all this stuff? And secondly, how do you retain it?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 13, 2009 -> 03:09 PM)
Jeesh...you and Balta have minds like freaking steel traps. How do you read all this stuff? And secondly, how do you retain it?

I love data of all kinds. But really, the outdoors happens to be one of my passions, so I do a lot of reading and discussion on related topics. Same goes for finance, technology, law, the Sox, and some other areas of interest or my career. I'd bet you have some areas you have that kind of knowledge too.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 13, 2009 -> 03:17 PM)
I love data of all kinds. But really, the outdoors happens to be one of my passions, so I do a lot of reading and discussion on related topics. Same goes for finance, technology, law, the Sox, and some other areas of interest or my career. I'd bet you have some areas you have that kind of knowledge too.

Yeah, unfortunately they are fairly useless.

Baseball, law, electricity trading and transmission, and women. ;)

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 18, 2009 -> 05:31 PM)
The "Cash for Caulkers" stimulus idea. Have the government pay for a portion of the substantial cost of seriously upgrading the insulation in people's homes. Cut carbon emissions and wasted electricity, put people back to work at the same time.

(A carbon pricing system could have the same effect, FWIW).

Actually, this is a terrific idea.

QUOTE (KipWellsFan @ Nov 18, 2009 -> 06:49 PM)
Still the politician who knows more about the science of climate change than any other poltician.

Who would of thunk that the inventor of the internet would be so well rounded....

Hail Goracle!!!

the-goracle.jpg

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 18, 2009 -> 02:50 PM)
To be fair, he ought to know better, even if it was a spur of the moment thing while on TV, but I'm sure I've screwed up units that badly at some point before as well.

Yeah, we still get the point.

It's really, really hot down there...;)