O'Reilly Accused of Racism

spiderman

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This outrage, just like the outrage of Limbaugh calling soldiers who fought that are critical of the war effort "fake soldiers" is stupid and just meant to hide the failings of the people in power. Just like General Betray Us outrage actually hid the actual news for a good three days.

It's all stupid.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Sep 28, 2007 -> 08:16 PM)
This outrage, just like the outrage of Limbaugh calling soldiers who fought that are critical of the war effort "fake soldiers" is stupid and just meant to hide the failings of the people in power. Just like General Betray Us outrage actually hid the actual news for a good three days.

It's all stupid.

Dude, the outrage over that ad covered up the actual news for well over 3 days. The ad ran on like hte 9th or 10th of September, and the House was voting to condemn it last week. It's still coming up.

The "outrage" over Mr. Limbaugh's comments are, as far as I'm concerned, a totally fair response to that manufactured outrage. It's actually probably a worthy look at how biased the media is; compare the coverage that Moveon's ad gets to the coverage Limbaugh's latest statement gets, and let's see which side winds up getting the coverage. (Somehow, I doubt that the condemning Limbaugh bill which will be introduced in the Senate on Monday will go anywhere, but we'll see)

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 29, 2007 -> 05:37 PM)
Dude, the outrage over that ad covered up the actual news for well over 3 days. The ad ran on like hte 9th or 10th of September, and the House was voting to condemn it last week. It's still coming up.

The "outrage" over Mr. Limbaugh's comments are, as far as I'm concerned, a totally fair response to that manufactured outrage. It's actually probably a worthy look at how biased the media is; compare the coverage that Moveon's ad gets to the coverage Limbaugh's latest statement gets, and let's see which side winds up getting the coverage. (Somehow, I doubt that the condemning Limbaugh bill which will be introduced in the Senate on Monday will go anywhere, but we'll see)

It's because Limbaugh's comments were 100% out of context. I've said this before, Limbaugh is entertainment, not news, and I rarely listen to him because he's too much of an apologist for the Re-pube-licans.

Because I heard about this yesterday, I went to his site because I knew there would be a response. When you listen to the whole thing, it was DEFINITELY out of context. You absolutely cannot compare Limbaugh's comments in the same realm as a printed ad that was clearly meant to do nothing but degrade and call out a 4-star general who disagrees with George Soros and moveon.org idealogy.

If you all are using mediamatters.org (another Soros backed site) as your outlet to find outrage against Rush Limbaugh, GMAFB.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Sep 29, 2007 -> 05:10 PM)
OMG Kap, you're totally right. The outrage isn't justifiable. Because what Limbaugh said wasn't AN AD. In a NEWSPAPER! Quelle horror!

Unless you are only going by Media Matters, you should know he was referring to the likes of Jessie Macbeth and the other antiwar 'vets' the liberal media hyped as 'heros' that turned out to be fake. That kind of cherry picking is low, even for you.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 29, 2007 -> 12:37 PM)

So are you admitting that the Rush Limbaugh show and the New York Times have basically dropped to the same levels? It just shows the state of that once respected newspaper.... they should now be held to the same standards as a political shock jock.

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Sep 30, 2007 -> 02:55 PM)
So are you admitting that the Rush Limbaugh show and the New York Times have basically dropped to the same levels? It just shows the state of that once respected newspaper.... they should now be held to the same standards as a political shock jock.

And there is naturally, no difference between the paid advertisements in the NY Times and the actual written content of the NY times or the NY Times's opinion sections.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Sep 30, 2007 -> 04:55 PM)

I thought one was a paid for advertisement produced by moveon.org and Rush was himself talking?? I guess I'm confused now.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Sep 30, 2007 -> 09:48 PM)
You're right, that outrage isn't nearly as justifiable as something about AN AD. In a NEWSPAPER! Oh, who will think of the children?

That's not the point and you know it. Nice twisting of a f***ed up situation, though. I'm actually sort of shocked at you on this one, Rex.

My point was all of this outrage is stupid. Your seemed to insinuate that there was some merit in Congress taking four days of time to argue about an ad in a newspaper, as opposed to Rush Limbaugh insulting people who have served in the military, or Bill O'Reilly making stupid conversation about how African-Americans behave in restaurants. It's all stupid and none of it is worth our time.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 30, 2007 -> 05:21 PM)
I thought one was a paid for advertisement produced by moveon.org and Rush was himself talking?? I guess I'm confused now.

It was a political ad that the New York Times gave a massive discount to because they agreed with the politics of thus mentioned ad. That is an illegal campaign contribution. The times even admitted this after they got caught.

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Sep 30, 2007 -> 10:06 PM)
It was a political ad that the New York Times gave a massive discount to because they agreed with the politics of thus mentioned ad. That is an illegal campaign contribution. The times even admitted this after they got caught.

None of the articles I found gave that explanation, do you have a link?

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 03:06 AM)

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/26/us/26mov...amp;oref=slogin

huh?

QUOTE(bmags @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 12:35 AM)

Oh yes, of course. my bad.

They will admit that moveon.org got a price break that it shouldn't have, but they are using the standard excuse of "laziness and a simple billing error".

I should have known better to credit them with any type of transparency.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 01:12 AM)
Oh yes, of course. my bad.

They will admit that moveon.org got a price break that it shouldn't have, but they are using the standard excuse of "laziness and a simple billing error".

I should have known better to credit them with any type of transparency.

Advertising is not an editorial decision. Do you think the editors look at the Macy's ad each week? So you're comparing a decision a sales rep made to Rush's comments? So Rush is equal to a sales rep for the NYT? :lolhitting OK, maybe we can agree on something.