dish network vs. direct tv

kapkomet

NOT discussion programming packages, do you all out there see a big PERFORMANCE difference between dish network and direct tv?

This is a debate I'm having on another forum, but this one provides better feedback for stuff like this. :D

I need some pretty quick answers because if I'm switching, I need to in the next 24-48 hours.

Specific answers as to why you think what you do would be appreciated!

Ok. Mine is from experience, although limited. I had Directv at my first 3 places in chicago until I bought my condo. I LOVED it, and it only went out ONCE and that was a nasty snow storm in 2004 when I had to just dust the dish off a bit. I was recently in phoenix where a house I rented had Dish Network and this thing was constantly out, flicking, pixelating and everything else that pisses you off about the dish. From that experience alone I think it sucks.

it's about 50-50.

Most people say that DirecTV is better then Dish, but I've had Dish - when it does rain hard, it does go out. Other then that, I haven't had an issue. If it's not broke, I won't fix it, but I wanted to know what people's experiences were.

I like Dish, but if DirecTV is better, I'll go for it.

I worked for Comcast - I did like their product (but I didn't live in a Comcast area, blah). The market here is now Time Warner... the product itself is good - especially as they upgrade one of the oldest cable plants in the United States, but the customer service is s***, they are arrogant screwtards, and their ondemand can't touch Comcast's.

And Greasy, no programming issues, just purely technology/image/even HD (I'm probably going to get an HDTV in a month or two).

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 03:44 PM)
I worked for Comcast - I did like their product (but I didn't live in a Comcast area, blah). The market here is now Time Warner... the product itself is good - especially as they upgrade one of the oldest cable plants in the United States, but the customer service is s***, they are arrogant screwtards, and their ondemand can't touch Comcast's.

And Greasy, no programming issues, just purely technology/image/even HD (I'm probably going to get an HDTV in a month or two).

I went with cable at my new place for a few reasons

1. I was most familar with Time Warner and Road Runner so no learning curve.

2. Road Runner vs. DSL. Speed/cost

We've got DirecTV and love it. We've had it for a few years and it's gone out MAYBE 5 times, only once for more than about an hour.

The only thing is I'd check the pricing if you're going to switch to HD. Right now we have two DVR's, 4 lines, 3 sets and the Sports Package and it's about the same as our Comcast was without the DVR's or the sports thing. However, I think it goes up a fair amount with HD. Also, you need a different dish/receiver for HD, so if that's the case you might want to buy the TV now or wait until you get it to switch (which doesn't sound like an option).

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 09:13 PM)
We've got DirecTV and love it. We've had it for a few years and it's gone out MAYBE 5 times, only once for more than about an hour.

The only thing is I'd check the pricing if you're going to switch to HD. Right now we have two DVR's, 4 lines, 3 sets and the Sports Package and it's about the same as our Comcast was without the DVR's or the sports thing. However, I think it goes up a fair amount with HD. Also, you need a different dish/receiver for HD, so if that's the case you might want to buy the TV now or wait until you get it to switch (which doesn't sound like an option).

The only thing is I have Center Ice, and I don't want to pay for the whole damn package twice if I switch to DirecTV. Cable for me is not an option, which is a messed up conversation in and of itself.

I have DirecTV here, have had it in CA for 4 years, and probably have lost signal like 4-5 times in the heaviest of storms, and even then I'd say that the situation has improved a fair amount in the last year or two. Can't even remember the last time it went out.

You should def. investigate other sources on the HD issue though if that is important to you. Both of the satellite providers have had a rep as being a step behind in that regard over the past few years.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 03:41 PM)
You obviously havent discovered OnDemand, the greatest thing since velcro. Comcast blows everything else out of the water IMO.

Wait till DOCIS 3.0 is adopted across the cable providers in the next few years, think of broadband internet connection above 100mbs. The comcast tests were at 160mbs. At that point you can do IP TV.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 09:56 PM)
Wait till DOCIS 3.0 is adopted across the cable providers in the next few years, think of broadband internet connection above 100mbs. The comcast tests were at 160mbs. At that point you can do IP TV.

I know they were starting to look at that at TWC.

The thing is, though, most systems cannot handle that without serious upgrades.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 05:12 PM)
I know they were starting to look at that at TWC.

The thing is, though, most systems cannot handle that without serious upgrades.

Comcast has been running a lot of fiber from a transport standpoint they should be okay. From a peering standpoint it could be hell. Its funny though, at the same time Comcast is touting their DOCIS 3.0 equipment they are suspending users for a year for using too much bandwidth. Hopefully they dont have a magic invisible cap that only get invoked when you use the equipment to its fullest.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 12:23 PM)
NOT discussion programming packages, do you all out there see a big PERFORMANCE difference between dish network and direct tv?

This is a debate I'm having on another forum, but this one provides better feedback for stuff like this. :D

I need some pretty quick answers because if I'm switching, I need to in the next 24-48 hours.

Specific answers as to why you think what you do would be appreciated!

I'm pretty up on this issue becuase I was about to switch to sattellite. I think the biggest difference is that Dish's equipment is lightyears better than direct tv's. Dish has better DVR's & HD receivers and you also don't have to purchase all the equipment like you would with Direct (even Direct's lease costs are ridiculous as for any of the newer tech boxes you have to drop massive amounts while Dish will throw it in for new customers).

Customer Service wise I've heard DirectTV is better and right now Dish has more HD channels, but that will change by months end as DirectTv's new HD sattellite is up and they are already testing all the new channels they are going to add.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 01:11 PM)
DirecTV > Cable, Dish Network, anything else

Maybe programming wise, but it is a lot more expensive. Plus on Cable I get a superior HD quality (Dish/DirectTV both have far less HDTV quality as they have to compress there HD feeds far more than what good cable companies do) & on Demand. Oh and I get the latest and greatest DVR's and boxes without having to drop 200 bucks on just one box.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Oct 2, 2007 -> 11:33 AM)
Maybe programming wise, but it is a lot more expensive. Plus on Cable I get a superior HD quality (Dish/DirectTV both have far less HDTV quality as they have to compress there HD feeds far more than what good cable companies do) & on Demand. Oh and I get the latest and greatest DVR's and boxes without having to drop 200 bucks on just one box.

Do you have COX cable down there?

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 02:56 PM)

Verizon is laying out its Fios across the US and that is supposed to be stellar. You also have a lot of cable companies that are now to the point where some areas are pretty much running straight off fiber optics and in those instances you will have limitless possibilities (although they currently are still behind Direct/Dish in terms of how many HD channels they carry, however the quality of HD channels on a good cable outlet is RIDICULOUSLY better than that of sattellite).

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Oct 2, 2007 -> 09:34 AM)
Do you have COX cable down there?

Ya. They are tremendous. I'm lucky though because Orange County is one of the area's where Cox rolls out stuff first (so we are always the first to get there newest technology/programming).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Oct 2, 2007 -> 04:37 PM)
Ya. They are tremendous. I'm lucky though because Orange County is one of the area's where Cox rolls out stuff first (so we are always the first to get there newest technology/programming).

You are very lucky that you're not in a Crime Warner area, especially with the transition from Adelphia/Comcast in LA. It was horrible and a lot of people got fired. TWC's management group is a bunch of incompetent idiots.

Oh wait, I better not say that, someone might read this. :ph34r: . . . oh well, too late! :lol: