2007-2008 NHL Catch All Thread

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Feb 25, 2008 -> 05:46 PM)
I heard Richards for Leclaire could be going down, although I don't really know why Columbus would want to trade a good young goalie.

Doesn't really make sense for us considering how much he is making compared to his production.

Brett Hull seemed pretty desperate to make a move. Shipping out LaPointe for anything at this point is probably a good thing, hence why the Craig Adams acquisition was made as a replacement for next season I guess.

And I'm still for acquiring Jordan Staal if we can, I doubt it will happen though.

I would love Richards on this team. However, we would need to move a big contract ala Bulin or Havlat to have him here since he is making $7.8 for the next few years.

Also, from what I have heard, Pascal is a product of the system and will not be as good if traded to another team (according to some experts).

It is going to be an interesting next half day here waiting to see what happens before the deadline.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Feb 25, 2008 -> 09:15 PM)
There is so much crap to weed through tonight.

-Looks like Lapointe might already be gone.

-Ruutu could be on his way to Pitt.

-Hawks have made an offer for Richards.

-Tampa just resigned Boyle for 6/40, so Richards NEEDS to go now.

Last I heard, Richards narrowed 'his teams' down to 3, none of them being the Hawks. Doesn't mean it's entirely true, as I know he had a list of 8 earlier...

s***'s either gonna hit the fan tomorrow, or hardly anything is going to happen. It's crazy that almost all of it is going to happen tomorrow.

I still see Hossa being dealt.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Feb 25, 2008 -> 09:18 PM)
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3264789

This is what I was going off of.

Yeah, I saw that. Versus (I don't know where they pulled it from) had it down to only 3 teams.

Who knows.

More importantly, what is the proposed deal we have out for him? That's the tough one. Who's the centerpiece? Havlat? Lang? And I would say Nik COULD be a part of it, but this injury throws a wrench into it.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Feb 25, 2008 -> 09:21 PM)
Yeah, I saw that. Versus (I don't know where they pulled it from) had it down to only 3 teams.

Who knows.

More importantly, what is the proposed deal we have out for him? That's the tough one. Who's the centerpiece? Havlat? Lang? And I would say Nik COULD be a part of it, but this injury throws a wrench into it.

Is Bulin really injured though? I never heard anything more regarding his MRI.

QUOTE(JFields27 @ Feb 26, 2008 -> 03:40 AM)
if they need contracts .. Lapointe

No... not at all.

Lapointe's contract doesn't mean squat at this point. He's gone in three months to whoever gets him and -- pro-rated -- he really isn't making much the rest of this season. Probably around a million or so. In any case it's a non-issue and the Hawks should take whatever draft pick Detroit/Ottawa wants to send here.

Hmm... Richards. What is Tampa Bay looking for? Havlat or Khabibulin would have to go the other way, but what else -- a first-rounder and a prospect? Richards hasn't been a whole lot better than Havlat this season, although unlike Havlat he's a good bet to stay healthy. He's had one really outstanding season and the rest have been pretty good but not out-of-this-world (bunch of 70 point seasons). Probably not worth the $7.8 (that number is correct, yes?) million, but having Toews and Richards locked in as your top two centers would be pretty nice.

Now I actually have to pay attention tomorrow. I figured the Hawks would cut some dead weight (Lapointe, Perrault, maybe Adams) and be done with it. Sigh -- there goes my morning.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Feb 25, 2008 -> 09:51 PM)
No... not at all.

Lapointe's contract doesn't mean squat at this point. He's gone in three months to whoever gets him and -- pro-rated -- he really isn't making much the rest of this season. Probably around a million or so. In any case it's a non-issue and the Hawks should take whatever draft pick Detroit/Ottawa wants to send here.

Hmm... Richards. What is Tampa Bay looking for? Havlat or Khabibulin would have to go the other way, but what else -- a first-rounder and a prospect? Richards hasn't been a whole lot better than Havlat this season, although unlike Havlat he's a good bet to stay healthy. He's had one really outstanding season and the rest have been pretty good but not out-of-this-world (bunch of 70 point seasons). Probably not worth the $7.8 (that number is correct, yes?) million, but having Toews and Richards locked in as your top two centers would be pretty nice.

Now I actually have to pay attention tomorrow. I figured the Hawks would cut some dead weight (Lapointe, Perrault, maybe Adams) and be done with it. Sigh -- there goes my morning.

yeah its 7.8 ... Habby makes 6.5 and Havlet makes 6 mil .. dont jump all over lapointe and his 1 mil ... its 1 mil and its a trading chip we have ... also its funny on every hockey rumor site it has us as a suiter for every Dman ... though its true

The Hawks have made an offer for Brad Richards, which Burnside describes as the "best offer available." I'm not sure what to make of that.... I'm guessing the deal includes Havlat, Lang and/or Khabibulin who might have more value this deadline because he only has 1 year left on that contract.

Could you imagine what the Hawks top 6 will look like next season if the Hawks nab Richards and/or Staal?

Some combination of Sharp Kane Toews Richards Staal Byfuglien Lang

thats how you score consistently, thats how you make the playoffs year-in-year-out.

QUOTE(MurcieOne @ Feb 25, 2008 -> 10:09 PM)
The Hawks have made an offer for Brad Richards, which Burnside describes as the "best offer available." I'm not sure what to make of that.... I'm guessing the deal includes Havlat, Lang and/or Khabibulin who might have more value this deadline because he only has 1 year left on that contract.

Could you imagine what the Hawks top 6 will look like next season if the Hawks nab Richards and/or Staal?

Some combination of Sharp Kane Toews Richards Staal Byfuglien Lang

thats how you score consistently, thats how you make the playoffs year-in-year-out.

If he's in that next year, we still have some big holes.

Also, I don't think it's a coincidence that Nik was having an MRI today with a trade deadline tomorrow.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Feb 25, 2008 -> 09:51 PM)

The numbers may be deceiving, Brad Richards may not be having a "out of this world" season point wise, he hasn't played on a line with St. Louis, but he's a legit two-way player (despite his +/- and while he's not as gifted as Vinny LeCavalier, he can still make plays with his hands and he has great vision (almost kane-like :cheers ).

I think when Richards has an off-night, he brings more to the table than Havlat does when he's not playing his best.

With the cap rising to $54M, I suppose Richards cap number isn't THAT bad, but he'll still be overpaid.

I'm hoping it's Khabibulin we're offering, and then Havlat and Ruutu for Staal.

That's frees up about 6M in cap room, and we should go all out for Brian Campbell in the off-season, and target Cristobal Huet as well (if the Bulin Wall is dealt).

Boyle re-signing with Tampa is a blow.

From Yahoo;

The Dallas Stars will acquire Tampa Bay Lightning center Brad Richards in a multi-player trade and Atlanta Thrashers right wing Marian Hossa is heading to the Montreal Canadiens before the NHL trade deadline, an executive within the league said Monday night.

The Stars have looked to make a splash since Les Jackson and Brett Hull took over in the co-general manager role for the fired Doug Armstrong earlier this season. The source said Dallas is expected to package veteran checking center Jeff Halpern, backup goalie Mike Smith and young defenseman Mark Fistric to the Lightning, who needed to move Richards after signing defenseman Dan Boyle to a six-year, $40 million contract extension late Monday.

The Stars have surprised most with their success, too, especially with Sergei Zubov missing so much time lately because of injury. But they're undersized at the center position and probably won't match up favorably in the Western Conference playoff picture without an upgrade.

By landing the 6-foot, 198-pound Richards, the Stars are set to receive a player who can handle loads of ice time, has a Stanley Cup on his resumé and is a centerpiece to build around as Mike Modano and Zubov look to pass the torch.

Richards has 18 goals and 51 points in 62 games, 228 shots and has averaged 24:17 of ice time. He's durable as well. Richards has appeared in 552 of a possible 554 games since breaking into the league in 2000-01. The pivot is signed for $7.8 million each of the next three seasons.

Expect the Canadiens to send at least a forward (Michael Ryder?) to Atlanta, which insisted it would only trade the 29-year-old Hossa if it could get a current NHL player in return. Hossa is the Thrashers' second-leading scorer with 56 points (26 goals, 30 assists and a team-high 229 shots). Hossa is a minus-14 averaging 21:55 of ice time in 60 games.

The Thrashers were in a tough spot with Hossa, who is due to be an unrestricted free agent and could walk come July 1. But getting prospects or draft picks in return – the deal offered most because contenders don't want to part with talent – wouldn't help Atlanta's bid to win the Southeast Division and reach this year's postseason. The Thrashers trail Carolina by seven points but have two games in-hand and face the Hurricanes three more times.

Montreal GM Bob Gainey, who appears to have outbid the Ottawa Senators for Hossa, pointed out last week the team traded for Alexei Kovalev at the trade deadline in 2004, and despite only playing 12 games with the Canadiens at the end he decided to re-sign in Montreal.

If Dale doesn't make some kind of significant deal after months of posturing, it'll be a pretty big disappointment.

I'm kind of surprised Dallas is dealing away Mike Smith - I thought they were high on him as their future #1 goalie. I guess they're trying to go for it now. Can't blame 'em, I suppose.

Sutter aside, Lamoriello is believed shopping for a Top Two defenseman and a top center, or at least at Top Six forward. The rumors about Barret Jackman, Jay McKee, Rob Blake, Brian Campbell, Pitkanen and John Liles have been long in place, and up front, Robert Lang, Martin Havlat, Brad Richards, Ladislav Nagy and Olli Jokinen as well.

A couple of new names joined the list yesterday, notably Chicago center Jason Williams, injured most of this season but nearly a point-per-game man and an upcoming unrestricted. Atlanta's Alexei Zhitnik was mentioned speculatively as a possible rental target.

The Islanders aren't expected to pull their plug, although there remained a suggestion Mike Comrie might be moved.

The reason for the slow lead-up to today's deadline is that demand far outweighs supply. Very few teams are really out of playoff contention yet, and those who still have faint hope are loathe to scuttle the ship while still afloat.

The Blackhawks are among those clinging to hope, and instead of selling, they are believed bidding for Buffalo's Campbell.

QUOTE(MurcieOne @ Feb 26, 2008 -> 10:55 AM)
Carey Price.... he was a hero for the WJC team last year, he is going to be a stud someday.

Someday soon, I'm guessing.

Or they're guessing.

What does this mean for Kolzig? Is his deal ending soon?

And I just read that Huet is a UFA at season's end, so the deal makes a lot more sense to me now.

They'd pay through the nose to keep him, so why not promote Price and get something for Huet.

Edited by The Critic