2007-2008 NHL Catch All Thread

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Feb 18, 2008 -> 09:18 AM)
Carolina could be a very possible target for Lang with Rod Brind'Amour out for the year. There are a ton of teams that could use a solid #2 center.

Oh, and there is a rumor about a Havlat-Gionta swap, which IMO sounds too good to be true.

What's Gionta's contract look like and his numbers on the season?

Lang for Carolina 1st or 2nd rounder would be a good deal, if you're going to sign Forsberg.

It's a risky scenario, but one that could really pay off (if Peter's gimpy ankles can stay healthy).

Myself and Krush we're at the game this afternoon.

As folks know, the crowd was massive. Barker had a really great game, hell from my vantage point, I don't recall thinking anyone played a real bad game today at all. Hawks we're really hitting today.

The salute to the crowd was a real great moment to see once again. Nice to see things starting to come together, hopefully Williams will be back in the next week, and the offense will continue to click.

QUOTE(Mr. Showtime @ Feb 17, 2008 -> 08:27 PM)
Myself and Krush we're at the game this afternoon.

As folks know, the crowd was massive. Barker had a really great game, hell from my vantage point, I don't recall thinking anyone played a real bad game today at all. Hawks we're really hitting today.

The salute to the crowd was a real great moment to see once again. Nice to see things starting to come together, hopefully Williams will be back in the next week, and the offense will continue to click.

If you didn't come away with this conclusion after sitting next to me all day... :lol: The guy made good decisions. He's playing the body, but instead of hopping up to chase a hit, he's hitting when necessary. Another thing with his game today was the patience he had during the neutral zone regroups. Good composure. To top it off, he's making passes in the offensive zone he never had the vision for previously.

Lalime didn't have to play great, which is the mark of a good game in front of him. Made the saves he had to, a few of them were good. Carried the play in all three periods. The thing I was impressed by the most today was the cycling down low. Our guys were horses on the puck and almost always created a decent to good chance off of possessions down low. Very solid cycles.

Havlat played well today, he had somewhat of a burst, good puck control, and didn't shy away along the boards for the most part.

Kane-Toews-Kane was lights out in the offensive zone.

If you don't love Toews by now, check your pulse.

Seabrook...Sweetness

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=229924&hubname=

Edited by IlliniKrush

That's good news on Seabrook, he has really developed nicely, and has turned into one of our better 1st round picks over the past decade.

Good to hear on Barker as well, sounds as if he is progressing from where he was when he was 1st up, being too tentative and all.

How much are we spending in the cap now after the Seabrook signing FWIW?

QUOTE(JFields27 @ Feb 17, 2008 -> 06:59 PM)
35755952.jpg

I thought that was a pretty nice pic of the decal on the helmets

Wow, I had no idea they were doing that today, nice to see that and good to see them playing better. Hopefully they make the playoffs, but obviously the Hawks are set up for a big year next year, both on the ice and with the attendance.

1155e093fc978c38faddef4e1313e929-getty-7

That pic is hilarious. Between the "haha I just kicked your ass, i'm sticking my tongue out" look by Burish and the "your an idiot" response from the ref, that's a classic picture is worth a thousand words shot right there.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Very interesting;

One is expected to be resolved this week, when Peter Forsberg decides if he'll play again. The former star centerman has been training in Sweden while foot and ankle injuries have kept him out of game action. Hawks general manager Dale Tallon has admitted involvement in the Forsberg negotiations, and two European news outlets reported during the weekend that Forsberg, 34, is weighing a three-year, $11 million offer from the Hawks.

Hockey Night in Canada reported that a trade of goaltender Nikolai Khabibulin to Ottawa for Wade Redden was a possibility, and sources in New York believe the New Jersey Devils are after Martin Havlat. If they get him, Havlat could play with Patrick Elias, a longtime friend.

Tallon reportedly has long been interested in defensemen Brian Campbell of Buffalo and Dan Boyle of Tampa Bay. Both are involved in contract talks with their present teams that could be over before the trade deadline.

A few things.

-The NIU decal on the Blackhawks helmet was a classy move, and one that the previous regime never makes.

-Forsberg for 3 years is a bit much, but if the Blackhawks added him to this franchise and he stayed healthy, the playoffs would be a lock. As much as reports want to say the Flyers are a big player, they would need to cut salary before even making a competitive offer. I say if they want Forsberg, we take Simon Gagne (struggling, highly paid, currently concussed but doesn't seem like a big deal) off their hands! This is a 40 goal scorer who's slumping hardcore, but the upside is there. Either player works for me, though Forsberg ups the general interst in this town by a large margin.

-Add to that a proposed Nikolai Khabibulin for Wade Redden deal, and you are talking two quality players in, and a guy who has been outplayed by his backup out. That's crazy. I don't see why Ottawa makes this move, Redden is one of the best defensemen in the league on both ends of the ice, and Khabibulin is an overpaid, injured goaltender. They are desperate, but I'd think a better option would come along for them above 'Bulin? IF DT can steal Redden for Khabibulin, its the best move since swapping Mark Bell for Martin Havlat.

-Adam Burish: is there another guy in the NHL who seemingly can single-handedly get a stadium going more? And for that fact, his own teammates? This guy is invaluable, and the Blackhawks are lucky to have him patrolling the checking line and going up against the other teams top scoring lines as well as their top enforcers. I love this kid.

-Locking up Brent Seabrook for 3 years beyond this one was a wise move. The kid's only 22 and really starting to be a presence on the ice. I think in a year or two he'll be up among the top scoring defensemen in hockey as well.

-Martin Havlat: If you trade him now, you are effectively telling the fanbase and myself that you are unwilling to wait out Havlat's injury woes (which he finally seems to be bouncing back from) but will happily sign a guy who has been significantly injured for some time. Seems counterproductive to make a Forsberg/Havlat swap when Havlat's like what, 8 years younger?

I think trading Havlat would be a HUGE mistake. If you add Forsberg and Redden to this club, it's starting to get up there talent-wise with some of the big boys in the league. This is the type of team that rightly should be ADDING a player like Havlat, not trading him away.

There, that's it... can't wait til the next game.

Edited by Steve9347

Read Here! Read Here! Hot off the press /done

Forsberg -- Not going to sign with a team

"The prospect of Peter having enough confidence about the foot/skate issue to play for the rest of the NHL season does not look good at this time," Forsberg's agent Don Baizley told The Canadian Press. "As a result, the teams have been advised that it is unlikely he will return to the NHL this season."

QUOTE(JFields27 @ Feb 18, 2008 -> 03:16 PM)
Read Here! Read Here! Hot off the press /done

Forsberg -- Not going to sign with a team

Just saw that.

In other words, "the only club to make an offer we liked was the pathetic franchise from Chicago."

Kind of embarrassing, but f*** him, we're still turning the corner and I'll hold out hope for the Redden deal.

Steve, the logic for the Redden deal for Ottawa, is that they're probably not going to re-sign him in the off-season.

So they'd rather get something for him no, but I think he has a NTC, so I doubt he'll be dealt.

And I don't think they trust either Gerber or Emery in the playoffs.

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Feb 18, 2008 -> 09:43 PM)
I read on one of the other Hawks boards that Richmond had emergency surgery to remove his spleen. He is out for the remainder of the season.

Yea I saw that too. Isn't that the same surgery Chris Simms had? Hopefully he recovers nicely.

Detroit pounded Colorado tonight -- good news for the Hawks. Big tilt tomorrow night versus the Blues on Versus (yay for me!).

And changing directions here, the NHL really needs to go to a different point system. It's ridiculous how many teams play for the tie in the third period just to get the point. I like the 3-2-1 system -- three points for a regulation win, two points for an OT win and one point for an OT loss. Then again, I'm obviously not the first person to say this and would like to see a well-reasoned opposition to a system like that (or a defense for the current system).

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Feb 19, 2008 -> 04:14 AM)
I really don't agree with a team getting a point at all for a loss. Now I totally understand the argument, "If Team A isn't down after 60 min of play, they deserve a point", but I just don't like the thought of a team getting rewarded for losing a game. I think 2-1-0 system would work best.

I'd be open to hearing/reading people propose different systems -- I just don't like the current system. Hell, something that would be interesting would be going to soccer's system -- of course, that would mean overtime (and subsequently the shootout) would be scrapped, and that would never happen, but I honestly don't think I'd mind a three-points-for-a-win, one-point-for-a-tie system.

Hockey needs to undergo a revolution in the blogosphere just like baseball has in the past ten(ish) years. I'd love to be able to read similar thoughtful analysis similar to that at SouthSideSox, The Hardball Times or BTF -- instead I get "Kicky McGee!" and more knee-jerk reactions than Soxtalk at you-know-where. I dunno -- maybe I'm not looking hard enough.

(My second point is only somewhat related to the first -- I sort of went off on another tangent.)

Edited by CWSGuy406

Meh -- I read (and posted a few times at) that site. It's okay but nothing special... he kind of relays what happened, finds some neat articles, but he's still not what I'm looking for re: good analysis, stuff that makes you think. There's a good Oilers site I know of, and there's a humorous site that often has Blackhawk comments (or commentaries), but nothing like a South Side Sox for the Sox, Blog-a-Bull for the Bulls or The Football Outsiders for football (in general).

It's a shame, too, because I think there's work to be done in that area. You can't break it down statistically the same way you do baseball -- really, baseball is the only (essentially -- it's obviously not as simple as I'm making it) one-on-one sport (out of the 'big 5' of football, futbol!, baseball, basketball and hockey) -- but I think the statistics used can be improved upon. Take PIM for example. Whenever I see a transaction, I usually see that stat referenced. Why is that? It's never made sense to me. A guy who takes a lot of penalties should be considered an asset? Or, to a lesser extent, +/- -- Duncan Keith and Brent Seabrook should be docked because Robert Lang can't cover his man in a 4-on-4 situation?

Edited by CWSGuy406