2007-2008 NHL Catch All Thread

QUOTE(JFields27 @ Feb 26, 2008 -> 03:14 PM)
can we actually see a line of Ladd-Toews-Kane .. in the future ... that be nuts I mean Ladd is a former top 5 pick and a true LWinger. I dig that trade more and more ... theres like 45 minutes left in the deadline ... it would be nice to see another trade

With the way Savard changes lines it is almost guaranteed he will play with Toew and Kane at some point. Will they play consistently together......maybe for a game or two.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Feb 26, 2008 -> 03:22 PM)
The deadline came and went at 3:00 ET.

kinda like this one

F - BRANDON BOCHENSKI 4:30 PM FUTURE CONSIDERATIONS

they dont get official for a while

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Feb 26, 2008 -> 01:59 PM)
HOLY s*** THE PENS GET HOSSA!!

Pens win the East in a walk-over.

Armstrong, Christensen, Esposito and a 1st.

Tallon couldn't beat that deal???

ugh, I wouldnt want him to. We can sign Hossa in the offseason if necessary. Thats alot of talent to give up for a rent a player. Would have loved kessel though.

I was thinking Lang could have been dealt as well, but it looks like he's sticking around.

Ruutu didn't have a future here. Savard soured on him, and you're not going to pay a 4th line grinder (which is what he is ATM) over $2M next season. That's Marty LaPointe money / production.

Ladd went after Barker in the draft a few years back IIRC. Has about 10 points in his last 11 games.

Put him on one of the top 2 lines, and see what he can do.

He's also a RFA at the end of the season.

I think this was the perfect time to deal Havlat as well, but the Hawks could always do it in the off-season or at the deadline next season possibly.

The worst thing for me, was that Brian Campbell was dealt to the Sharks, and they want to re-sign him long - term.

That means that both Boyle and Campbell might be off the market.

And the Capitals might try to re-sign Cristobal Huet as well.

--Canadiens asked about Martin Havlat after Pens stepped up for Hossa, but obviously nothing worked out.

--Blackhawks had deal in place for Lang, but fell through. Ducks and Devils were interested.

also I think that the Staal talks get hotter in the off-season. I am also bringing this up cause I still want him here, but in the off-season more things will be known, With Hossa(if he leaves then a big need of winger pops up again for the Pens) and if Malkin asks for that 9-10 mil then maybe we can crack a deal with them.

Glad to see Jason Williams didnt end up being traded, and for the most part the Lang trade probably wouldnt have been big so I am alright with him staying cuz he is now our sole veteran pressence(oh and I decided not to count Yanic and Kevyn Adams)

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Feb 26, 2008 -> 11:52 PM)
Check out the first and third stars in the Carolina game tonight. Then duck your head in a pillow and weep gently.

No one should actually have to go look to figure it out, but yeah, I watched the highlights already, not cool.

Hmmm;

CHICAGO (AP) -- The Chicago Blackhawks tried to secure an immediate upgrade to their offense before Tuesday's trade deadline but Tampa Bay Lightning center Brad Richards stymied the deal by exercising a no-trade clause in his contract, officials said.

Blackhawks General Manager Dale Tallon said "the team gave it our best shot and put a substantial offer on the table" to acquire Richards. Instead, Tampa Bay, which started Tuesday in last place in the NHL's Eastern Conference, sent Richards to the Dallas Stars as the centerpiece of a multiplayer deal.

"It was a no-trade thing and he [Richards] made up his mind he wanted to go to a team that had a shot at the Stanley Cup," Tallon said. "He wanted immediate results, not a lateral move, and to get right in the action."

The Blackhawks opted not to pursue some big-name players, including Atlanta Thrashers right winger Marian Hossa, because they could become unrestricted free agents following the season, Tallon said.

"We felt the price would be too high to pay just to rent a player," Tallon said. "We didn't want to mortgage our future."

Through 62 games this season, Richards, 27, has 18 goals and 33 assists, but he ranked last on the Lightning with a minus-25 plus/minus rating. He has 150 goals and 339 assists in 552 career games.

His best regular-season output was 91 points, on 23 goals and 68 assists, in 2005-06. He posted 12 goals and 14 assists in Tampa Bay's 23-game postseason run to the Stanley Cup in 2004.

Tallon, who communicated with Richards through his agent, said the forward opted to join a team with a viable chance of winning the Stanley Cup this season. Although vastly improved this season and stocked with young talent, the Blackhawks began Tuesday in 13th place in the Western Conference, eight points behind eighth-place Nashville and the final playoff spot.

The Blackhawks made two trades on Tuesday.

They sent center/left winger Tuomo Ruutu, their first-round draft pick in 2001, to the Carolina Hurricanes for left winger Andrew Ladd. Chicago also dealt veteran forward Martin Lapointe to the Ottawa Senators for a sixth-round pick in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft.

Lapointe, 34, had seen dwindling ice time and duty on the team's third or fourth line. Tallon accommodated the forward by shipping him to a contender.

Parting with Ruutu, however, was tougher. The 25-year-old Finnish forward posted 23 goals and 21 assists in his rookie year, 2003-04. In the past couple of seasons, however, Ruutu's output trailed off.

In 2005-06, he appeared in just 15 contests due to back and ankle injuries. Last season he missed the first 10 games with a knee sprain but managed 17 goals and 21 assists in 71 contests. This season, Ruutu had six goals and 15 assists in 60 games.

"He's worked extremely hard through some tough times," Tallon said. "He's very critical of himself. We just thought a lateral move would be in his best interest."

Ladd, 23, has appeared in 43 games for Carolina this season, posting nine goals and nine assists. He was the Hurricanes' first-round draft pick (fourth overall) in 2004.

"We like his grit, his skill his age and his future," Tallon said. "He was on a Stanley Cup-winning team in Carolina (in 2006) and was one of their best players in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals."

Some Canes' fans thoughts on the deal;

The other part is that, prettymuch whenever Ladd has been healthy and given top 6 minutes (like he has been lately) he's been productive. I can very easily see him turning into a 30/30 guy if not a 35/35 guy in Chicago if he gets a shot at that with Toews or Kane just as long as he's getting icetime. 9 minutes a night won't get it done for him, but 19 will.

Ladd was looking like a semi-bust before the past string of games where we finally saw flashes of his potential. JR probably had the mindset that Ladd would fall back down to earth and thought he'd trade Ladd while his value is at its highest. That's the only thing I can think of, anyways

I loved Ladd and I hate to see him go, but I think Ruutu will be an excellent player to compliment Walker's physical style. I can really see them both banging bodies and creating offense at the same time.

And thoughts on Ladd pre - deal;

Many speculated that this would be his breakout year, but we're such a deep team offensively so he didn't have many chances. With our wave of injuries, he's been able to play top minutes and has taken advantage of it. I don't expect him to keep up his PPG pace, but I think he can emerge into a solid 60 point guy in his prime who has a mean streak and physical edge.

Ladd's been vicitim to a) being hurt B) forgetting he knows how to play hockey c) being buried on the fourth line as a result of said forgetfulness - you'll notice that when he's in the top 6 by necessity for a long period of time (ie, now) he plays like he wants it but other than that, he looks lost...hopefully it's just youth but he seems like the kind of player who needs assurances that he's gonna actually be able to keep his place on whatever line he's on despite when he gets in a funk.

will be the first to admit that I was ready to throw Ladd to the wolves of the trade market after his showing in the first half of the season ....but boy has he ever flipped the switch. He is playing his best hockey of his career right now. The thing that really shocks me is that he has been consistantly physical in finishing his checks. The feeling when he is out on the ice is like the feeling you have when a player like Gleason is out there. If anybody runs one of our guys, you can count on 16 to take a number. I like that developing aspect to his game. I think he looks a lot thicker in a good way than he did at this time last year and I would hope there is more to come. Ladd with 10 more lbs. of muscle ....look out folks. He is already a pain in the neck in front of the net and he has really soft hands for a player that is as big as he is.

He has 17 points now in 41 games with 8 goals. That equates to about 34 points and 16 goals in mostly a third line capacity. That is a fairly solid season had he been healthy and it wouldn't be out of the realm to see him score 50 points next season. I still think he needs to get a little meaner, but that will likely come with confidence. With as big and strong as he is ....he could really strike fear into some folks if he started going out of his way to make sure the opposition payed for the prime ice.

I'm a bit concerned about the speculation/perception of Ladd losing interest when he's on the 4th line (I feel that's what happened to Ruutu to a substantial degree), but the other comments make me hopeful about him. If he is, in fact, turning the corner or "flipping a switch", that can be a very good thing for the Hawks.

Just an aside - now that Lapointe is gone, who gets the 3rd "A"? I say it should go back on Toews and it should turn into a C in a year or two.

Ruutu came to the rink 15 minutes before the Cane game and had an assist on 1 of the Samsonov goals.

• Ruutu had an assist in his first game with the Hurricanes, but wound up with a bloodied face after he was clipped by New Jersey LW Patrik Elias' stick. Team officials said about 40 stitches were needed to close the wound.

that sucks for him, but I am all for him having a good season with the Canes, idk if they re-sign him, but who knows they might. I think Ladd will be a great add for us, and I hope he can shoot down the "are we going to regret this" talk.

I was talking to a kid today who said ... -- have you ever seen Ladd hit? he cant finish -- atleast seeing that in some quotes I am glad he is doing it

I just can not wait to watch tonight, mostly cause it is a Hawks game.

Also I read on a UND(North Dakota) forum that the trade that fell through with Lang was to the Devils for C Zach Parise. If that is actually true, kill me now -- but I hope to god that it isnt just so I know it wasnt going to happen in the first place hah

So I saw this on ESPN by Bucci;

Don't weep for Tortorella. He'll get a job. He's a Stanley Cup-winning coach with experience. The Rangers, Blackhawks, Thrashers and Panthers may have an eye on him for next season. He probably prefers the Panthers so he can keep that year-round tan.

I also saw that John Paddock was fired in Ottawa by Brian Murray, and Murray is taking over as the coach again.

Any interest in either of those 2 guys as a possible replacement for Savvy?

Very nice rebound for Patty tonight.

The Hawks are still hanging in there, and these are the type of games they need to win.

A healthy Jason Williams is so important to this team's offense as well. Not as important as Toews, but important nonetheless.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Feb 27, 2008 -> 10:31 PM)
Was able to watch the game tonight at a Tucson Hooters. Solid game. Didn't think Bryz was tested much with good chances, but the Hawks played well.

Showtime said Havlat could be injured again, which would be par for the course. I just hope he has some kinda of value left, as I would LOVE for Tallon to dump his ass in the off-season.

He's likely done. Gloves off, holding arm, slowly limps to bench (that's what I texted Showtime and Keith). It's ridiculous.

Achilles shoulder... oh well. This opens up some chances for a guy like Kris Versteeg to play more, show what he's got.

Just think the Penguins could've had Havlat over Marian Hossa.... their loss i guess (im joking).

I think that if the Hawks pick up Bryzgalov instead of the Coyotes... we make the playoffs, I still cant believe they got him for nothing.

still, what a game tonight I was actually glued to my radio, love how Burish came off the bench to protect Kane... this core is going to really develop into something someday if we can keep em off IR.

QUOTE(MurcieOne @ Feb 28, 2008 -> 12:55 AM)
Samsonov in Carolina: 20 games 9+9=18 he's also a +10!

for reference... he had 0+4=4 in 29 games for us to begin the season and a -7 rating.

ugh.

A classic case of the "change of scenery" helping a guy, eh?

Too bad about Havlat - worse that Tallon couldn't peddle him off to someone before it happened.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Feb 27, 2008 -> 05:55 PM)
So I saw this on ESPN by Bucci;

I also saw that John Paddock was fired in Ottawa by Brian Murray, and Murray is taking over as the coach again.

Any interest in either of those 2 guys as a possible replacement for Savvy?

I don't see the Hawks firing Savard anytime soon. He's made progress with the team record-wise, and without getting the superstar player, its hard to expect much more from this group at this time, especially if you factor in the huge amount of injuries. Maybe if they get off to a slow start next year, but I just don't see it happening at this point in time.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 28, 2008 -> 07:16 AM)
I don't see the Hawks firing Savard anytime soon. He's made progress with the team record-wise, and without getting the superstar player, its hard to expect much more from this group at this time, especially if you factor in the huge amount of injuries. Maybe if they get off to a slow start next year, but I just don't see it happening at this point in time.

If the teams falters out of the gate... Savvy will be gone before halloween.