Al Gore: Nobel Peace Prize Winner

Texsox

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 15, 2007 -> 03:58 PM)
Can Al Gore do anything between now and Super Tuesday that will not be viewed instantly as a sign of him getting into the race?

"Al Gore has regrown his beard. Does he want to return to the 1800's tradition of Bearded Presidents?"

"Al Gore has lost weight. Could this be a sign he's ready to declare?"

"Al Gore killed and drank the blood of a puppy. Could this now mean he's interested in the position of Senate Majority Leader instead of President?"

I thought that was just what liberals did on weekends?

So I went to the Al Gore dinner last night at the Hyatt downtown. I first saw him at the pre-dinner reception when he walked past me and gave me a nod. That was kind of neat. His speech was quite impressive. The main discussion point was climate change and the business world. He tried to drive home the point that the business leaders of today (the audience was comprised of Chicago's business leaders) need to foster the initiative and drive to make the changes needed to slow down global warming. The discussion covered many topics including China, the Kyoto protocol, etc. HE gave major props to Daley (who was seated at the deus) for environmental strides in Chicago. He interspersed some stories throughout; some serious and some humorous. He received a standing ovation upon his introduction as well as his closing remarks and I am sure there was quite a large representation of Republicans in the room if not perhaps a majority (I can't help but to think that most CEOs are Republicans...maybe I'm wrong).

It was a great experience to be there and I am positive that if he was as laid back and 'human' as he comes across now, he would have won the 2000 election in a landslide.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Oct 18, 2007 -> 09:24 AM)
So I went to the Al Gore dinner last night at the Hyatt downtown. I first saw him at the pre-dinner reception when he walked past me and gave me a nod. That was kind of neat. His speech was quite impressive. The main discussion point was climate change and the business world. He tried to drive home the point that the business leaders of today (the audience was comprised of Chicago's business leaders) need to foster the initiative and drive to make the changes needed to slow down global warming. The discussion covered many topics including China, the Kyoto protocol, etc. HE gave major props to Daley (who was seated at the deus) for environmental strides in Chicago. He interspersed some stories throughout; some serious and some humorous. He received a standing ovation upon his introduction as well as his closing remarks and I am sure there was quite a large representation of Republicans in the room if not perhaps a majority (I can't help but to think that most CEOs are Republicans...maybe I'm wrong).

It was a great experience to be there and I am positive that if he was as laid back and 'human' as he comes across now, he would have won the 2000 election in a landslide.

I saw him give a speech once, back when he was VP. He made some attempts at humor, which were actually pretty funny. The substance of his speech was so-so.

Its been said here before... Gore became the victim of his own campaign staff in the 2000 election cycle. It was obvious that his "people" were telling him to put up a hard front, try to look tough and dignified - try not to be Clinton, basically. Except, that didn't work at all. The more laid back Gore is a lot more engaging and likeable.

Obama seemed to suffer the same fate early on in his campaigning. They tried to dry him up, make him something less interesting than he was. Now he is finally letting the fighter out, but it might be too late.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 18, 2007 -> 10:33 AM)
Now he is finally letting the fighter out, but it might be too late.

My gut says it's not too late. I keep thinking of where Kerry was in the polls at this time and he wasn't much of a factor. The number of people contributing to his campaign and the sheer number of people going to see him speak make me think he has a good chance.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Oct 18, 2007 -> 03:55 PM)
My gut says it's not too late. I keep thinking of where Kerry was in the polls at this time and he wasn't much of a factor. The number of people contributing to his campaign and the sheer number of people going to see him speak make me think he has a good chance.

After all of this, I hope so. Anyone but the b**** is beginning to be my mantra.

I need to go back and read his stuff again, it's been a while - I told you this before, the last time I read his platforms it was sparse because it was the beginning of the campaign.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 18, 2007 -> 08:33 AM)
Its been said here before... Gore became the victim of his own campaign staff in the 2000 election cycle. It was obvious that his "people" were telling him to put up a hard front, try to look tough and dignified - try not to be Clinton, basically. Except, that didn't work at all. The more laid back Gore is a lot more engaging and likeable.

It's also worth noting that the media was about as hostile as you could imagine to him, and that certainly played into those decisions, especially those by his advisors about telling him what to say. I think that even if Gore had tried to let "this side" of him out more or whatever, he'd have been pounded just as mercilessly for it.. Here's that great Vanity Fair piece I linked to a couple weeks back on this subject.