Al Gore: Nobel Peace Prize Winner

Texsox

QUOTE(NUKE @ Oct 12, 2007 -> 03:17 PM)
Reagan did more for world peace by lifting his pinky finger than Algore did with his enviro-alarmist propaganda film and chicken little speeches could do in a lifetime. They should re-label this award to read "number one leftist award".

:chimp

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(NUKE @ Oct 12, 2007 -> 10:17 AM)
Reagan did more for world peace by lifting his pinky finger than Algore did with his enviro-alarmist propaganda film and chicken little speeches could do in a lifetime. They should re-label this award to read "number one leftist award".

Propaganda? Then why does your beloved administration agree with it?

The Bush White House, which has taken some time in coming around to the concession that the acts of mankind have played a contributing role in global warming but still opposes any mandatory international caps on greenhouse gas emissions, today acknowledged Al Gore's Nobel prize for his advocacy in the campaign against climate change.

"The president learned about it this morning,'' said Tony Fratto, a White House spokesman aboard Air Force One, as the president flew to Florida -- of all places, on this day that has invoked many reminders of the 2000 election in which Bush prevailed over Gore with a court-settled dispute over the Sunshine State's presidential vote.

Today, the president is raising money for the Republican Party in Pinellas Park and speaking about free trade in Miami before heading to his Texas ranch for the weekend.

"Of course, he's happy for Vice President Gore, happy for the International Panel on Climate Change scientists, who also shared the Peace Prize,'' Fratto said. "Obviously, it's an important recognition and we're sure the vice president is thrilled.''

Is Bush planning to call Gore?

"I don't know of any plans to make calls to any of the winners at this point,'' Fratto said.

"Obviously Vice President Gore has helped to bring attention to climate change,'' Fratto said, with a similar nod to the United Nations organization that shared the prize today. "The IPCC scientists have done remarkable work to bring scientific rigor to the questions surrounding climate change.

"And obviously the next step for -- and really the most difficult step -- is implementing climate change strategies that are effective and practical, and that allow for continued economic development and for countries to do the work that they need to do to lift people out of poverty,'' the White House spokesman said. "That's a challenging task.''

QUOTE(NUKE @ Oct 12, 2007 -> 10:21 AM)
I know you are going for hyperbole but there's a lot of truth to that. You know the vast armies of the Soviet Union, the ones that Reagan told us were going to overrun Western Europe and turn the whole continent red? They crumbled before our very eyes without a shot being fired.

Fixed it for you.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Oct 12, 2007 -> 10:29 AM)
Propaganda? Then why does your beloved administration agree with it?

Did I miss something? Has Bush come out screaming that the world is about to end and started proposing legislation mandating massive cuts in carbon emissions and a carbon tax? I must not have been paying attention.

QUOTE(NUKE @ Oct 12, 2007 -> 10:37 AM)
Did I miss something? Has Bush come out screaming that the world is about to end and started proposing legislation mandating massive cuts in carbon emissions and a carbon tax? I must not have been paying attention.

Why would a White House spokesman be quoted saying this?

"And obviously the next step for -- and really the most difficult step -- is implementing climate change strategies that are effective and practical"

Why would they need to implement climate changing strategies if the administration thought that this was all a bunch of BS? And why do people like you hate that people are trying to better the world? Even if for some reason the overwhelming majority of scientists are wrong about global warming, I guess I fail to see how striving for a cleaner and more energy efficient world is a negative. Do you honestly enjoy polluted air and water and gas guzzling technologies?

QUOTE(NUKE @ Oct 12, 2007 -> 10:40 AM)
Had we not been there with huge armies of our own, backed by nuclear weapons, then that would indeed have happened.

Really? They wanted a war that would have killed tens of millions, and then gave up without a whimper?

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Oct 12, 2007 -> 10:43 AM)
I guess I fail to see how striving for a cleaner and more energy efficient world is a negative. Do you honestly enjoy polluted air and water and gas guzzling technologies?

Who ever said I did? If you go back through my posts where do you see me ever saying that ( hint: the opposite is true ).

QUOTE(NUKE @ Oct 12, 2007 -> 10:49 AM)
Who ever said I did? If you go back through my posts where do you see me ever saying that ( hint: the opposite is true ).

So then why call it propaganda? If you want clean air and water and efficient energy why piss and crap all over Al Gore's message? Even if you think the whole global warming concept is false the outcomes from the message are beneficial for everyone, unless you are a CEO for big oil.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Oct 12, 2007 -> 10:51 AM)
So then why call it propaganda? If you want clean air and water and efficient energy why piss and crap all over Al Gore's message? Even if you think the whole global warming concept is false the outcomes from the message are beneficial for everyone, unless you are a CEO for big oil.

Honestly, I think Global Warming is a bunch of horses***. I think we should be more energy efficient, partially for security reasons ( we get too much of our energy from bad neighborhoods ) and partially because I think wasting resources doing things the old way when a better way is out there is much better.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 12, 2007 -> 10:57 AM)
So, if I'm reading this thread right, the correct way to solve anthropogenic climate change is to stand up to greenhouse gases, be strong, and tell it to tear down those anvil clouds.

Another failed attempt at sarcasm.

QUOTE(NUKE @ Oct 12, 2007 -> 11:07 AM)
Honestly, I think Global Warming is a bunch of horses***. I think we should be more energy efficient, partially for security reasons ( we get too much of our energy from bad neighborhoods ) and partially because I think wasting resources doing things the old way when a better way is out there is much better.

Reagan could have solved it by lifting his pinky :lolhitting

QUOTE(NUKE @ Oct 12, 2007 -> 10:47 AM)
Further proof that peace through strength works.

Look at all the trouble we had and would have in Korea, Vietnam, and Iraq and you think the Soviets were so scared they called off annihilation because Reagan was a bad ass?

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Oct 12, 2007 -> 08:04 AM)
Good for Al. The question now becomes, are the rumors about him waiting for this to enter the Presidential race true?

I read on the elevator this morning that he definitely considered using this as a springboard to run, but thinks Hillary is a lock for the nomination.

QUOTE(NUKE @ Oct 12, 2007 -> 10:40 AM)
Had we not been there with huge armies of our own, backed by nuclear weapons, then that would indeed have happened.

Not really. Not by 1981 anyway.

After 1968, Moscow was mostly in a defensive posture in Europe. The Hungarian Coup in 1956 followed by the Prague Spring of 1968 made most communist parties in non-satellite Europe mostly irrelevant, with the exception of the Italian Communist party because it was the only one that did not take significant direction from Moscow.

The truth is, the USSR rather enjoyed the barrier between East and West, because accomodations like a divided East and West Germany helped fund a crumbling economy.

QUOTE(NUKE @ Oct 12, 2007 -> 10:47 AM)
Further proof that peace through strength works.

It can work if exercised correctly, but I think that change in the Soviet Union and its satellite states, came about through forces bigger than Reagan or the US. Most of that change came internally, and was ultimately fostered by IMO the detente and relationship that the US developed with the Soviet Union and other states. Personally, I believe that it was Gorbachev's relationship with Reagan and later Bush that helped him start reforms that would ultimately unravel the communist system.

That being said, Reagan's foreign policy wasn't particularly peaceful. But then again, neither was Clinton's, or even Carter's. After all, it was in 1980 that Carter proposed the largest increase in defense budgeting and US forces in decades.

STATEMENT FROM FORMER VICE PRESIDENT AL GORE

Friday, October 12, 2007

I am deeply honored to receive the Nobel Peace Prize. This award is even more meaningful because I have the honor of sharing it with the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change--the world’s pre-eminent scientific body devoted to improving our understanding of the climate crisis--a group whose members have worked tirelessly and selflessly for many years. We face a true planetary emergency. The climate crisis is not a political issue, it is a moral and spiritual challenge to all of humanity. It is also our greatest opportunity to lift global consciousness to a higher level.

My wife, Tipper, and I will donate 100 percent of the proceeds of the award to the Alliance for Climate Protection, a bipartisan non-profit organization that is devoted to changing public opinion in the U.S. and around the world about the urgency of solving the climate crisis.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Oct 12, 2007 -> 11:50 AM)
This is the same Al Gore who's book was outsold by the yearly cat calendar.

Not sure what that exactly means. Are the only viable candidates the ones that are ranked #1 in book sales? Or are you saying that a cat should run for president?

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Oct 12, 2007 -> 10:33 AM)
Not sure what that exactly means. Are the only viable candidates the ones that are ranked #1 in book sales? Or are you saying that a cat should run for president?

Just think, we could have another President Garfield!

Farm subsidies directed towards lasagna ingredients! A president who sleeps less than Mr. Bush!

Picturing Tim Russert..."Mr. Odie, as Vice President, what would your response be to an attack that removed the President"

"SLURP!"

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Oct 12, 2007 -> 11:50 AM)
This is the same Al Gore who's book was outsold by the yearly cat calendar. If he does run for president I don't think he'll have much of a chance.

yep, and the same Al Gore that was defeated by someone who it seems can't read a book

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 12, 2007 -> 12:43 PM)
Just think, we could have another President Garfield!

Farm subsidies directed towards lasagna ingredients! A president who sleeps less than Mr. Bush!

Picturing Tim Russert..."Mr. Odie, as Vice President, what would your response be to an attack that removed the President"

"SLURP!"

I support President Heathcliff, thanks.