Torre turns down Yankees and will not return

thedoctor

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Oct 18, 2007 -> 08:27 PM)
When did I say the money was laughable on some absolute scale? Yes, $5 mil is a lot of money, etc etc etc. But the "OFFER" was a joke. The one-year, conditionality-loaded deal announces to everyone that he has no support from management. And a pay cut does indicate that someone is not as valuable as he was before. (Or that the market has changed; but with Piniella's deal it doesn't look like manager money is drying up league-wide.) He was worth $7.5 mil to the Yankees this year, unconditionally, and the best possible outcome was a WS win. Even if he accomplishes that next year, his salary will go up basically by inflation plus.

Basically, I said it was laughable because, when I heard the terms of the deal, I laughed. He was obviously not going to accept that deal, it seemed to me. That's what I call a laughable offer. If any schmuck can see that the person getting the offer will refuse it, I think it's pretty funny to even make it. The Yankees should have manned up and just cut ties instead of going through this whole charade.

I think there are a lot of guys who would have accepted that offer. I agree the Yankees knew he wouldn't take it, and it was a pr move if nothing else, but $5 million is still a lot more than any other manager gets and the bonuses are attainable. Its not like its Tampa Bay basing everything on making the playoffs.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Oct 19, 2007 -> 06:18 AM)
Let's see, here's $5 million guaranteed, plus we will have a team with a payroll around $220 million. If you can guide them to the playoffs, here's another $1 million. If you can guide them to the ALCS, we will give you another million, and if you take this team that will be paid almost double every other team except one to the WS we will give you another million plus guarantee you $8 million the next year, so make the WS, here's $16 million for 2 years. By the way, the most anyone else in the world will get paid to do your same job the next 2 years is $7 million total. I'm pretty sure I would take it, but I don't have Torre's bank. Job security for a 67 year old who very well may just retire anyway is laughable. Last I checked, he has no offers, and very much doubt anyone will pay him more than the Yankees offered him in 2008. This was more about pride, and probably not wanting to go through what he has to go through if the Yankees don't win every season. I commend him for turning it down, but as I stated before, the money was pretty good. More guaranteed for 1 season than the White Sox have paid Ozzie Guillen his entire managerial career.

The total dollar amount is immaterial. No one goes to one of their employees and offers them a 33% paycut without it be taken as an insult. If they really wanted rid of him, they should have had the balls and fired him.

Like I asked in the previous post, what would you say if your boss offered you a 33% paycut and only one year of guarenteed work? Would you take it as a pretty good offer, no matter how much money you were making? Somehow I doubt it.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Oct 19, 2007 -> 07:56 AM)
The total dollar amount is immaterial. No one goes to one of their employees and offers them a 33% paycut without it be taken as an insult. If they really wanted rid of him, they should have had the balls and fired him.

Like I asked in the previous post, what would you say if your boss offered you a 33% paycut and only one year of guarenteed work? Would you take it as a pretty good offer, no matter how much money you were making? Somehow I doubt it.

If the guarantee was still more than I could get if I went elsewhere, which apparently it is, while I might not be too thrilled with the paycut, I would consider it a good offer. But then again, I don't have enough in the bank to live a couple of lifetimes very comfortably, nor do I have a nice spread in Maui to go mull over my future like Torre has. I give him all the credit in the world for turning it down, but the percentage of paycut isn't relevant. He would still be far and away the highest paid person doing his job in the world. As he himself has stated several times, not winning the WS is not acceptable in the Bronx. If he made it to the WS his $5 million guarantee would jump to a $16 million guarantee. I guess my point is I wish I was in a position to be offered a contract that still made me the highest paid person in my position in the world, and still be "insulted". If LaRussa leaves STL and Torre wants to go there, would it be an insult to him if the Cardinals offer him the $2.8 mil a year for 3 years they were paying LaRussa? I really don't think the paycut was the issue. I think the 1 year make it to the WS was. If they offered him the same incentives but said it ran for 2 seasons instead of one, I think he would have taken it in a heartbeat.

For a manager that has given you that kind of success and has always been an example of total class and calm, treating him in this way is the height of insult. Good for Joe Torre; the Yankees are worse off without him no matter who they buy now, player or manager. And thank God for that!

I have no sympathy for Torre at all, your expected to make the playoffs with the roster and payroll of that team. And the past 7 years he hasnt won the WS so thats basicly 7 failures... not 2 mention he was the manager of the biggest collapse in post-season history. Dispite all this they were still willing to give him 5 million with a chance to make a total of 8. I dont know how you can expect job security given the past 7 years.

When your still going to be the highest paid manager I dont feel sympathy if thats not enough for you.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Oct 20, 2007 -> 04:56 AM)
I have no sympathy for Torre at all, your expected to make the playoffs with the roster and payroll of that team. And the past 7 years he hasnt won the WS so thats basicly 7 failures... not 2 mention he was the manager of the biggest collapse in post-season history. Dispite all this they were still willing to give him 5 million with a chance to make a total of 8. I dont know how you can expect job security given the past 7 years.

When your still going to be the highest paid manager I dont feel sympathy if thats not enough for you.

The Yankees have not had a good enough team to win the World Series the last few years, it's that simple. To put it on Torre is ridiculous.