THIS DATE IN WHITE SOX HISTORY: OCTOBER 26TH/WORLD CHAMPS

StatManDu

THIS DATE IN WHITE SOX HISTORY: OCTOBER 26TH

OCTOBER 26TH

2005: WORLD CHAMPIONS. The greatest season in the 106-year history of the franchise known as the Chicago American Ballclub ended with a 1-0 win over the Astros at Minute Maid Park in Houston. The triumph gave the White Sox a sweep of the World Series and their first championship since 1917. It was a beautiful game -- tense, tight and low scoring probably because the teams has played past 1 a.m. earlier in the day in finishing off the White Sox Game 3 triumph. When a charging Juan Uribe threw out Orlando Palmeiro for the game’s final out, it set off a wild but respectful celebration in Houston and throughout Sox-land. The Sox scored the game’s only run in the eighth when pinch-hitter Willie Harris led off with a single, took second on Scott Podsednik bunt, advanced to third on a Carl Everett ground out and scored when Jermaine Dye pushed a single through to center field. The Astros threatened in the ninth but Uribe made an unbelievable diving catch into the stands and then assisted on the final out to hand the Sox the crown. Freddy Garcia got the victory, Bobby Jenks earned the save and Dye was named World Series MVP. In a beautiful chunk of symmetry, the Sox began the season with a 1-0 win, began the second half with a 1-0 win and ended their season with a 1-0 win. Long live the kings!

Long live the Rally Crede!

:gosox2: :sweep: :gosox2:

Every now and then I go to the archives and read the stuff from what was one of the best times of my life.

Even if the Sox were to do it again, it wouldn't be quite the same. Great of course, but we waited a lifetime for that night.

I can still vividly remember exactly where i was and who i was with when that last out occured. I was a senior in college and a bunch of friends of mine (all yankee fans, so they were rooting against me just for fun) and we were drinking. I can still remember exactly what it felt like when that out was made. Like others have said, its hard to explain, but i can still remember it as if it just happened. Then we all went out and i could not have been in a better mood that night.