Top 11 White Sox prospects...

Chombi

I didn't see this anywhere. Maybe it's in the main Sox news cuz I only checked the FutureSox section. Anyways, I don't have a membership so if someone else does, they can post the whole thing. Feel free to comment...

Five-Star Prospects

1. Fautino de los Santos, RHP

Four-Star Prospects

2. Gio Gonzalez, LHP

3. Aaron Poreda, RHP

Three-Star Prospects

4. Chris Carter, 1B

5. John Shelby, CF

6. Jose Martinez, OF

Two-Star Prospects

7. Jack Egbert, RHP

8. Ryan Sweeney, OF

9. Lance Broadway, RHP

One-Star Prospects

10. Brian Omogrosso, RHP

11. Kyle McCulloch, RHP

Just Missing: John Ely, RHP; Christian Marrero, 1B; Jerry Owens, OF

1. Fautino de los Santos, RHP

DOB: 2/15/86

Height/Weight: 6-0/205

Bats/Throws: R/R

Acquired: NDFA, 2005, Dominican Republic

2007 Stats: 2.40 ERA at Low-A (97.2-49-36-121); 3.65 ERA at High-A (24.2-20-7-32)

Year In Review: Beginning the year as an obscure Dominican arm in a weak system, de los Santos first blew away the coaching staff in spring training and then was almost literally unhittable in the Sally League, allowing one hit for every two innings pitched.

The Good: Built like a tree trunk, de los Santos gets tremendous drive. His fastball sits at 91-95 mph, touching 98 at times; it also has late movement, and he commands it very well. His breaking pitch is a power curve with hard late bite, and it's a true out pitch when he’s on. He understands the importance of developing an offspeed pitch, and he improved his changeup over the course of the year.

The Bad: De los Santos gets into bad habits at times, and can overthrow all of his pitches, costing him life on his fastball, break on his curve, and decreasing the velocity gap between the heat and his changeup. Some worry that his aggressiveness might work against him when facing more advanced hitters, and that he needs to learn how to set up batters and be more aware of the count, as opposed to challenging hitters with every pitch. If his changeup doesn’t continue to improve, some fear he’ll be limited to a relief role.

Fun Fact: In 18 fifth innings, de los Santos allowed just three hits while striking out 26.

Perfect World Projection: Star-level starter or closer.

Timetable: De los Santos has the highest ceiling of any player in the system, but he’s still at least two years away. He’ll likely begin 2008 at High-A, with an expectation than he could be ready for a look at some point in 2009.

I disagree with part of his rankings. One, Carter should be a four-star prospect. He has been young for every level at his age, has tremendous power (star-level power) and a solid eye at the plate. Not to mention, he can be a pretty good first baseman defensively. I think Carter is underrated. I would also bump Eggy to a three-star, though he does have the best stuff, some guys just know how to get it done and he does. That should at least count for something.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Nov 10, 2007 -> 08:03 PM)
I disagree with part of his rankings. One, Carter should be a four-star prospect. He has been young for every level at his age, has tremendous power (star-level power) and a solid eye at the plate. Not to mention, he can be a pretty good first baseman defensively. I think Carter is underrated. I would also bump Eggy to a three-star, though he does have the best stuff, some guys just know how to get it done and he does. That should at least count for something.

I have to think with Carter, it's a positional thing. His production is very good, but he's at an offensive position.

Have to agree on Eggie. I just think he's got a good instinct for pitching and a good enough sinker to get by as a 4th starter / 8th inning guy. The Southern League is full of prospects, and I don't care how good of a pitcher's park Birmingham is, he still struck out enough guys where you have to think his stuff has something.

Has anyone had an extended look at Egbert the past two seasons? The mediocre stuff thing may be overblown, his secondary pitches could be developing better than we know. Over the past 300 innings he's struck out one batter per inning while allowing less than 8 H/9. This can't be just smoke and mirrors and cunning and guile. At southsidesox.com's recent community prospect list I have Egbert as our #3 prospect behind Gio and DLS respectively.

Edited by 3E8

my early top 10...

01. de los Santos - duh

02. Gonzalez - duh

03. Carter - Our best offensive prospect right now

04. Egbert - can't ignore the numbers

05. Sweeney - still has a lot of upside

06. Shelby - put together a breakout season

07. Poreda - put up good numbers but is still a major ?

08. Broadway - looked good in his cup of coffee

09. Martinez - still too early, but looks like we might have something here

10. Getz - looked like he was going to have a very good season until injury

Edited by BearSox

my early top 10...

01. de los Santos - duh

02. Gonzalez - duh

03. Carter - Our best offensive prospect right now

04. Egbert - can't ignore the numbers

05. Sweeney - still has a lot of upside

06. Shelby - put together a breakout season

07. Poreda - put up good numbers but is still a major ?

08. Broadway - looked good in his cup of coffee

09. Martinez - still too early, but looks like we might have something here

10. Getz - looked like he was going to have a very good season until injury

No way Poreda is that low, I would have him 4th at worst.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Nov 11, 2007 -> 01:03 AM)

I was always under the impression that Carter was a defensive liability and more of a DH in the making.

I was always under the impression that Carter was a defensive liability and more of a DH in the making.

I think Carter's problem is that he lacks "game breaking" speed. Otherwise, he has incredible hands, great route running and a great sense of the sideline.

Ok old joke but I just spent a whole Saturday watching football and boxing so mentally I may not have it all to comment with any useful information...Something new and different right?

QUOTE(Chombi and the Fungi @ Nov 11, 2007 -> 01:28 AM)
I think Carter's problem is that he lacks "game breaking" speed. Otherwise, he has incredible hands, great route running and a great sense of the sideline.

Ok old joke but I just spent a whole Saturday watching football and boxing so mentally I may not have it all to comment with any useful information...Something new and different right?

What? Don't drink and post!

QUOTE(3E8 @ Nov 10, 2007 -> 08:11 PM)
Has anyone had an extended look at Egbert the past two seasons? The mediocre stuff thing may be overblown, his secondary pitches could be developing better than we know. Over the past 300 innings he's struck out one batter per inning while allowing less than 8 H/9. This can't be just smoke and mirrors and cunning and guile. At southsidesox.com's recent community prospect list I have Egbert as our #3 prospect behind Gio and DLS respectively.

What exactly are you asking? I had the chance to see Jack several times in W-S and Birmingham.

QUOTE(Ozzie Ball @ Nov 10, 2007 -> 11:05 PM)

Phil Rogers wrote an article at the end of last year ('06) suggesting, as a 3B, Carter was a liability and the Sox planned to move him to 1B. And there was also some worry that he may struggle there too because he lacked 'soft hands'.

However, I saw an article at the end of this year quoting one of the the Kannapolis coaches saying Carter made good strides in adjusting to 1B and that his defense had improved significantly. Not gold glove material, but not exactly a ham-handed hack either. (Can't find the source right now, but I'm pretty sure it was an article on milb.com)

Edited by scenario

QUOTE(scenario @ Nov 13, 2007 -> 12:23 PM)
Another point many people miss about Gio's year...

He didn't just lead the Southern League in strikeouts...

He led ALL of minor league baseball (all teams at all levels) in strikeouts.

I had the chance to see him at both the beginning and end of the year. Totally different pitcher in my mind. He went for the strikeout less, pitched to contact more, and (I think) lasted longer as a result. Seems like he really learned how to pitch this year. Keep his age in mind. Even though he was repeating Double-A, he was still amongst the youngest pitchers to play a full year in the Southern League.

QUOTE(PAUL KONERKO 14 @ Nov 10, 2007 -> 10:29 PM)
No way Poreda is that low, I would have him 4th at worst.

what exactly has he proven? That he can get guys out in rookie ball and that he has some pretty big concerns with his arm probably not being able to hold up?

You know...I was once disappointed and discouraged at this list because I respect Goldstein's opinion's but I have now found new faith in this. It appears to be a tougher grading scale then I thought originally after seeing Boston and Baltimore's list. Both of which I pretty much agreed with and saw nothing off base. So i thought our system was still pretty thin. Until today when I read Clevelands and noticed a much worse list then I expected.

He posted Cleveland's top 11 list as well yesterday or today, and guys who I considered to be better then our prospects were even or lower. Guys like Adam Miller and Beau Mills he rated 4 stars, Chuck Lofgren was a 3 and Trevor Crowe was a 2 (I am assuming cause of age?). So either he just dislikes Cleveland and they arent as good as advertised or our guys may be a little better then advertised.

Either way, at least means someone with respectable baseball knowledge sees us for having prospects of value. It's rare to see it but true. I thought the only guy who valued our prospects was Schwartz @ topprosectalert.com.