how about a catcher

Bubba Philips

QUOTE(forrestg @ Nov 11, 2007 -> 12:54 PM)
All this talk about bullpen relief, shortstop, centerfield how about a catcher? If AJ who is a great hitting catcher but I believe there are better defensive catchers.. How about a catcher to back up aj or eventually replace him.

If you want a catcher who is good defensively and can throw out basestealers, you can call up Donny Lucy. Just be ready for him to have a .180 AVG. He isn't ready yet, and will likely never be the hitter AJ is.

Hall had a lousy 2007, but looking at his career, if he can get his shoulder 90% or better, he'll probably be a decent backup in 2008. The Sox have him under contract still, and he just makes the most sense for next year. After that, if Lucy can hit in AAA, then he takes the backup slot. If he can't, then you start thinking about another player outside the system.

QUOTE(forrestg @ Nov 11, 2007 -> 10:54 AM)
All this talk about bullpen relief, shortstop, centerfield how about a catcher? If AJ who is a great hitting catcher but I believe there are better defensive catchers.. How about a catcher to back up aj or eventually replace him.

his routine is getting old - pouting after every bad at bat (lots of pouting this season).

If we are looking for a backup catcher there are some on the FA market. They are backup only material mind you, but out there. Toby Hall might rebound, but his bat and his arm were way below par most likely becasue of his injury in spring training. Lucy I am guessing is the catcher of the future??? I don't know.

QUOTE(SmashROT @ Nov 16, 2007 -> 03:05 PM)
I think catcher is the least of our pressing concerns. No problem with AJ catching most of the games back there. There is no way Hall can be as bad as he was last season ... although if someone worthwhile was available for a reasonable price, perhaps.

Welcome to the board!

Um... what is that in your avatar?

QUOTE(BearSox @ Nov 16, 2007 -> 03:15 PM)
I wouldn't mind Olivo. He wasn't a great game caller when he was here, but he has improved, and he's got a gun behind the plate. Plus, he's a much better hitter vs. lefties then he is vs. righties.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Nov 16, 2007 -> 03:20 PM)
well, I haven't really watched him over the past 3 years, so i wouldn't know... I'd still take him over Hall.

LOL...so you made a statement as if it were a fact, when in reality you had no knowledge of the circumstances at all?

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Nov 18, 2007 -> 09:19 PM)
LOL...so you made a statement as if it were a fact, when in reality you had no knowledge of the circumstances at all?

I assumed he had gotten better because of how much the Marlins pitchers had progressed... but in this instance of assuming I just made myself look like an ass.