Corey Patterson

NCsoxfan

Call me crazy, but I would much rather take a chance on a younger and faster Corey Patterson for 3-4 years at $15-25 million than Hunter, Rowand or Jones that would cost more than twice as much.

Buying high for Hunter or Rowand makes no sense financially given the years that each of them has left in their prime. Patterson may not be as consistent, but this is exactly the kind of guy who could end up putting all-star numbers with a contract that would allow other needs to be filled.

EVERY YEAR some players have breakout seasons. Next year it could be Patterson, maybe, maybe not.

Again, buying free agents at their peak will typically not yield great results. The players have no margin for error. If they play well, it was expected, if not then they are a bust. (See: Ben Wallace)

I believe the Sox need to take gambles on high potential / high risk FA's. The turnaround, most likely, is not going to come strickly from our farm system. And we sure as heck wont be able to turn around the team signing the most sought after FA's.

Without taking some of these risks and seeing some of them pay off, I find it extremely unlikely that the Sox make the playoffs. I welcome other points of view.

QUOTE(NCsoxfan @ Nov 20, 2007 -> 04:16 PM)
I believe the Sox need to take gambles on high potential / high risk FA's. The turnaround, most likely, is not going to come strickly from our farm system. And we sure as heck wont be able to turn around the team signing the most sought after FA's.

Without taking some of these risks and seeing some of them pay off, I find it extremely unlikely that the Sox make the playoffs. I welcome other points of view.

Ellis Burks and Darrin Jackson (the player, not the announcer) say hello. For that matter, Jermaine Dye was another great reclamation project. The question is, what talented OF had his career derailed by freak injuries recently but could be ready to produce again? I always hear about Coop fixing pitchers, but the real mechanic of the Sox over the years has been Herm Schneider. It would be nice to see him work some magic on a low cost project again.

I feel the trade winds blowing.......

I am no Jerry Owens fan, but I see no reason why Owens can't put up numbers very similar to Patterson.

Patterson has power. Do you honestly think Owens will ever put up double digit home runs? He had a hard enough time getting doubles.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Nov 20, 2007 -> 04:19 PM)
I actually like Patterson, but then a left-fielder would have to be brought in. The only left fielder with a big enough impact to make up for Patterson's .300 OBP is probably going to jail.

Bonds wishes he were going to a jail....that assbag will be serving prison time.

Two things to add to this thread:

1. Patterson hasn't had a single good full year, so I don't endorse the "he's as good as Hunter or Rowand" thought.

2. That said, he does offer one very nice intangible: If the Sox were to sign him and he has his one great year (a la Podsednik) that brings us another World Series appearance and/or win...how great is it that he was the Cubs phenom they finally gave up on? (And wouldn't that be made even sweeter if Soriano hits .212 6 HR 38 RBI and the Cubs finish 3rd or 4th in MLB's worst division).

QUOTE(NCsoxfan @ Nov 20, 2007 -> 06:06 PM)
Call me crazy, but I would much rather take a chance on a younger and faster Corey Patterson for 3-4 years at $15-25 million than Hunter, Rowand or Jones that would cost more than twice as much.

Buying high for Hunter or Rowand makes no sense financially given the years that each of them has left in their prime. Patterson may not be as consistent, but this is exactly the kind of guy who could end up putting all-star numbers with a contract that would allow other needs to be filled.

SAY NO TO PATTERSON

I just wish we weren't going to sign any big time FA CF so that we can save some money for next year and sign a good pitcher. We filled the biggest offensive problem at SS, so I wouldn't mind leaving Owens at CF. If we save money maybe we can afford this one guy named John Hand Santa Ana who will be a FA after this season. He'd be fun to have.

Patterson is basically Owens with power... and less upside for a heck of a lot more money. No thanks. I'd rather hold onto Owens, who will become an absolute steal if he continues to improve. If you want to spend on a FA CF, do it on a proven commodity like Hunter or Rowand.