Rowand out of picture

spiderman

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't want any part of Crisp, unless Kenny can somehow get him cheap. I've always liked Taveras and think that he could be a legitimate leadoff hitter (or at least an inexpensive stop-gap). His OBP is a bit lower than I'd like, but I think that his base-stealing ability is enough of an asset to make up for it.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Nov 28, 2007 -> 09:24 AM)
I don't want any part of Crisp, unless Kenny can somehow get him cheap. I've always liked Taveras and think that he could be a legitimate leadoff hitter (or at least an inexpensive stop-gap). His OBP is a bit lower than I'd like, but I think that his base-stealing ability is enough of an asset to make up for it.

Taking away the Coors field effect on his batting average last year, I'm not sure how he's that big of an offensive upgrade from Owens. He doesn't solve the "JO doesn't slug at all" problem, he has a couple more years of service time already, he'll probably steal 40 fewer bases than JO in a full season, he missed 1/2 of last season with injuries, and Owens already is taking more walks than him.

His defense is obviously an upgrade from JO...but really how much talent can this team afford to give up for a defensive upgrade?

Edited by Balta1701

Only problem is apparently the Red Sawks are asking a ton for Crisp....

Cowley believes the White Sox, meanwhile, will move on to Coco Crisp. They've long had interest in him. I'm not sure how the White Sox and Red Sox would match up though. The Red Sox are asking for quite a bit for Crisp - three prospects. The Rangers balked upon hearing this.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/basebal...ticleid=1047493

Edited by EvilJester99

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 28, 2007 -> 11:09 AM)
Honestly, taking into account that we don't have talent to give up to get a guy like Crisp, Owens is cheaper, and the only thing Crisp looks better than Owens in with the bat is slugging, while Owens put up a similar batting average and OBP as a rookie with a disasterous first callup holding his numbers back, I'd be more excited about Owens, Jones, Dye. To my eyes, Crisp seems like pretty much the worst CF option out on the market outside of Cameron. Say what you want about his poor numbers being due to injury the last 2 years...why should I expect he'd be healthier this year?

That's a fair point...replacing Owens with Crisp might not be the most bang for our buck...however, I feel like Crisp is a better defender, would hit 12-15 more home runs than Owens, and would be set up a nice 1-2 punch with OCabrera. However, there is certainly something to be said for some of the things Owens did in his second call-up. And by the way, I want Crisp for LF, not CF.

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Nov 28, 2007 -> 11:42 AM)

Cowley believes the White Sox, meanwhile, will move on to Coco Crisp. They've long had interest in him. I'm not sure how the White Sox and Red Sox would match up though. The Red Sox are asking for quite a bit for Crisp - three prospects. The Rangers balked upon hearing this.

The Rangers won't be the only ones to balk upon hearing that...

QUOTE(iamshack @ Nov 28, 2007 -> 09:42 AM)
That's a fair point...replacing Owens with Crisp might not be the most bang for our buck...however, I feel like Crisp is a better defender, would hit 12-15 more home runs than Owens, and would be set up a nice 1-2 punch with OCabrera. However, there is certainly something to be said for some of the things Owens did in his second call-up. And by the way, I want Crisp for LF, not CF.

The last 2 years in Boston, in what a lot of people would consider a hitter's park for most righties, Coco has hit 8 and 6 home runs, respectively.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 28, 2007 -> 12:20 PM)
If Brian Anderson was going to be our CF next year, we might as well have let Dye and Buehrle walk for draft picks. I've been one of his biggest backers the last few years, and even I'll say that this team can not even consider penciling him in to CF next April. If he (or Sweeney) came out and set the world on fire in ST and in AAA for a month, and there's an opening in the OF, then maybe you'd consider bringing them up, but that's a desperation move, and it only really works if there's an injury or if our opening day OF is Fields, Owens, Dye (because Fields can be moved to 3rd base if we decide to create an opening)

I don't see why Anderson is such a bad option. I'm sick thinking of KW trading ANYTHING for Willy Taveras or Coco Crisp. These guys are mostly useless offensive players that play some defense. Willy Taveras got 1100 at bats at roughly a .666 OPS. In 2006, at 24, Brian Anderson got 360 at bats with a .650 OPS and played near gold glove center field...and now we have to throw him in the garbage because he'll never hit? It does SEEM as if Ozzie and KW have written him off...but to set our sights on Taveras with his career .338 OBP as our leadoff man? Or Coco Crisp with his career .329 OBP? What is Timo Perez not available? Juan Pierre? If our options are home-grown horrible or trade for horrible...might as well give our guys a shot.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Nov 28, 2007 -> 11:34 AM)
I would get excited about Crisp. I think there's a reason that Francona calls him the best CF he's seen.

Yes... there is a very good reason he's saying that. Because they're trying to get more than a bag of balls in a trade for him.

I'd actually be OK with going after Crisp if the plan is to:

- Platoon Crisp and Owens at one outfield position

- Acquire another outfielder (Rowand, Fukudome, etc.)

Their (Crisp/Owens) splits support the idea of a platoon... and as a result, it might be an effective way to handle the leadoff situation.

I laugh thinking about Boston wanting 3 prospects though. Please....

They benched him very publicly in favor of a late season callup rookie and now they want... what????

Shouldn't be surprised I guess. Remember last year ('06) when Theo called KW and offered Crisp for Buehrle straight up just before the deadline when MB was struggling? Never put it past Theo to start negotiations with a ridiculous offer.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE(michelangelosmonkey @ Nov 28, 2007 -> 09:49 AM)
I don't see why Anderson is such a bad option. I'm sick thinking of KW trading ANYTHING for Willy Taveras or Coco Crisp. These guys are mostly useless offensive players that play some defense. Willy Taveras got 1100 at bats at roughly a .666 OPS. In 2006, at 24, Brian Anderson got 360 at bats with a .650 OPS and played near gold glove center field...and now we have to throw him in the garbage because he'll never hit? It does SEEM as if Ozzie and KW have written him off...but to set our sights on Taveras with his career .338 OBP as our leadoff man? Or Coco Crisp with his career .329 OBP? What is Timo Perez not available? Juan Pierre? If our options are home-grown horrible or trade for horrible...might as well give our guys a shot.

The biggest reason why I think Anderson is a bad option right now is that Anderson spent 3/4 of last season injured. He spent an awful lot of time in AAA playing nothing but DH because he was hurt, then he got back into the field after that injury healed and immediately got hurt again. I hate the idea of giving him up for the nothing that he'd get us back right now, but I can't even fathom going through this offseason without finding another OF if Fields will not be put in LF to start next season.

Crisp is just not that great. Neither is Taveras. Not worth the money/prospects/players they would cost.

If Rowand is asking for ridiculous money, if the Sawx are delusional enough to think they will get 3 good prospects for Crisp, if Fukodome goes elsewhere, and if the Sox can't swing a mega-deal for Andruw (signing) or Crawford (trade)...

Then I think a backup plan should be signing Jenkins for LF, and going with Owens in CF. Trade Crede and Uribe for the best young prospects they can fetch.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 28, 2007 -> 09:56 AM)
Then I think a backup plan should be signing Jenkins for LF, and going with Owens in CF. Trade Crede and Uribe for the best young prospects they can fetch.

If the organization thought there was a non-zero chance of getting something useful out of Anderson and Sweeney within a year, this would be a sensible option as well.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 28, 2007 -> 12:57 PM)
If the organization thought there was a non-zero chance of getting something useful out of Anderson and Sweeney within a year, this would be a sensible option as well.

I wouldn't want more than one of Owens/Sweeney/Anderson in the lineup if it can be avoided. I suppose if my suggestion is Plan D, and they can't even sign Jenkins or a similar LF guy, then the backup backup plan could be a platoon of those three guys in LF and CF. But I really think that should remain Plan E, with the other possibilities (Rowand if the contract is reasonable enough, Fukodome, Andruw Jones if the price is right, Crisp if reasonable in trade, Jenkins if possible to sign) ahead of it.

QUOTE(Markbilliards @ Nov 28, 2007 -> 09:54 AM)
It makes sense that Kenny's going after Taveras since he said he was going for a guy who he wanted last year.

If this is true I feel a little disappointed, but Willy is a solid player.

I absolute hate Taveras the more I see him play and the more I look at his numbers. It's nice and all that he bunts perfectly and is fast but he can't drive a ball worth a damn and I have no use for such players.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 28, 2007 -> 11:56 AM)
Crisp is just not that great. Neither is Taveras. Not worth the money/prospects/players they would cost.

If Rowand is asking for ridiculous money, if the Sawx are delusional enough to think they will get 3 good prospects for Crisp, if Fukodome goes elsewhere, and if the Sox can't swing a mega-deal for Andruw (signing) or Crawford (trade)...

Only problem with Jenkins is that Jenkins won't come that cheap either $$$ wise. We'll all be stunned to see what he gets I'm sure. Add that in with the fact that his skills are diminishing and he's played in the NL all of his career....I'm not too thrilled about him.

(I've met Jenkins and he's cool as s***. He banged one of the girls I knew and she talked him up pretty big after)

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 28, 2007 -> 11:56 AM)

Then convince Torii Hunter to sneak into the Anaheim front office, burn his contract, and sign a better one with the White Sox.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Nov 28, 2007 -> 12:04 PM)
Then convince Torii Hunter to sneak into the Anaheim front office, burn his contract, and sign a better one with the White Sox.

No thanks.

I'm glad he isn't on our team....even for what KW wanted to give him.

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Nov 28, 2007 -> 12:42 PM)

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/basebal...ticleid=1047493

That is f***ing insane.

QUOTE(rockren @ Nov 28, 2007 -> 01:04 PM)
Only problem with Jenkins is that Jenkins won't come that cheap either $$$ wise. We'll all be stunned to see what he gets I'm sure. Add that in with the fact that his skills are diminishing and he's played in the NL all of his career....I'm not too thrilled about him.

If he wants $12M or something, then forget about it, I agree. But I think he could maybe be had for more like $8M a year for 2 or 3 years. His numbers are down the last couple years, and he knows that, which has an effect on his salary (so does the fact that MIL just left him out there to dry). I just don't think the downward trend is terminal for him - I see some signs he is likely to come back up a bit.

No player mentioned is worth the money that other teams are willing to pay them?!

Who could possibly imagine being able to pay a baseball player over one million dollars a year? Soxtalk 1979 learning Nolan Ryan signed a new contract with the Astros

Who could possibly imagine being able to pay a baseball player over three million dollars a year? Soxtalk 1981 Learning Dave Winfield signed a new contract with the Yankees

Who could possibly imagine being able to pay a baseball player over ten million dollars a year? Soxtalk 1997 learning Albert Belle signed a new contract with the White Sox

Who could possibly imagine being able to pay a baseball player over twenty million dollars a year? Soxtalk 2000 learning A-Rod signed a new contract with the Rangers

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 28, 2007 -> 01:10 PM)
No player mentioned is worth the money that other teams are willing to pay them?!

Who could possibly imagine being able to pay a baseball player over one million dollars a year? Soxtalk 1979 learning Nolan Ryan signed a new contract with the Astros

Who could possibly imagine being able to pay a baseball player over three million dollars a year? Soxtalk 1981 Learning Dave Winfield signed a new contract with the Yankees

Who could possibly imagine being able to pay a baseball player over ten million dollars a year? Soxtalk 1997 learning Albert Belle signed a new contract with the White Sox

Who could possibly imagine being able to pay a baseball player over twenty million dollars a year? Soxtalk 2000 learning A-Rod signed a new contract with the Rangers

Well...they aren't really worth that, themselves. The players as a whole are probably worth what they are paid, but the older players are peaching some of the value off the younger players who have no choice but to play for peanuts.

Technicality, I know. Just saying.