Fukudome to the Cubs

Balta1701

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 03:36 AM)
Ha.

Well so much for him desperate for a 3 year deal. $13M a season is a lot for an unproven OF in the MLB, but that's the current market.

Right now it looks like Rowand for the Sox, unless they want to get back in the Crisp negotiations.

I'll be shocked if we acquire Pierre fathom.

All the signs are there:

- We need a CF

- We need a leadoff hitter

- Dodgers don't want him

- Ozzie loves him

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 03:38 AM)
Somehow, I get the feeling we'll be happy missing out on every one of these CF contracts given out so far. Maybe not the Jones one, but all the other ones...eesh.

I would have been happy if we signed him to a 4 year, 52 million dollar deal if there was a corner spot open.

No, not happy at all. Cubs get better, and Sox lose out on another target. The reason that I knew he was signing with the Cubs is that the Cubs hired a handful of Japanese workers in the last few weeks to help with the transition. The Fuku/Cubs thing has been a lock for quite a while.

BS. How much can you possibly flip flop? You are the guy who said you'd be happy he'd sign with the Cubs, you're more happy now since this is what you predicted. Face it, you're happy when you're miserable.

That the Cubs hired some Japanese guys ... is this the cloak-and-dagger "I can't tell" information you said you'd reveal? LOL. If so, why was this so "top secret"? Come out of the closet, fathom, we all know your brother works for Baseball America.

In reality, money talked. Again.

Kenny's just going to take his ball and go home. He's either too stubborn, stupid or smart to pay what the market has set for a Free Agent CF.

I also feel really bad for Buehrle and Dye. After taking "hometown" discounts to give KW the $ to spend, they've gotten screwed on some serious promises.

QUOTE(frankie5angels @ Dec 11, 2007 -> 09:38 PM)
At least the Angels are in the AL. The Cubs are in the NL. I could care less who the Cubs sign and what they do next year in terms of winning the Division or the NL. Some people on here are overly obsessed with the Cubs and what they do.

I don't know if you live in the Chicago area, but its really a pain in the ass when the Cubs have a good team. Its freaking everywhere.

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 03:39 AM)
BS. How much can you possibly flip flop? You are the guy who said you'd be happy he'd sign with the Cubs, you're more happy now since this is what you predicted. Face it, you're happy when you're miserable.

That the Cubs hired some Japanese guys ... is this the cloak-and-dagger "I can't tell" information you said you'd reveal? LOL. If so, why was this so "top secret"? Come out of the closet, fathom, we all know your brother works for Baseball America.

In reality, money talked. Again.

No, I also know the HR manager over there at Wrigley. I said I'd be happy if the Cubs overpaid for him, and cost them going after someone like Josh Hamilton. Trust me, I'm not happy about anything right now in regards to baseball. Ask GPratt...I told him this stuff last week. I said I was sure he was going to the Cubs, and it was 100 pct trustworthy information.

Edited by fathom

If the Cubs end up getting Roberts in a deal for Marshall, Gallagher, and Murton, they're going to have to be considered the clear favorites in the NL Central, and probably the NL.

This should make you happy, it'll give you something to complain about all baseball season.

Please ... is everything "the Cubs are great, woe is us"?

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 03:42 AM)
This should make you happy, it'll give you something to complain about all baseball season.

Please ... is everything "the Cubs are great, woe is us"?

No, I'll also have the pathetic White Sox season to complain about. I know you're the optimist when it comes to the franchise....but I just see so many weaknesses from the top of the organization on down. I don't know why you're attacking me on this. If I was wrong on my Fuku information, then you could have roasted me.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 11, 2007 -> 09:39 PM)
I would have been happy if we signed him to a 4 year, 52 million dollar deal if there was a corner spot open.

We do have a corner spot open. Left field. no one came out and said Quentin was gonna start, hell he might not even be ready for opening day. There is no way I would sign this guy for 13 Million a year for 4 years, the guy hasn't proved anything in this league. If KW would have done that the majority of people on here would have said he overpaid because he lost out on Hunter and Cabrera. KW was smart not to get this guy. Too much money for an unproven player.

QUOTE(frankie5angels @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 03:44 AM)
We do have a corner spot open. Left field. no one came out and said Quentin was gonna start, hell he might not even be ready for opening day. There is no way I would sign this guy for 13 Million a year for 4 years, the guy hasn't proved anything in this league. If KW would have done that the majority of people on here would have said he overpaid because he lost out on Hunter and Cabrera. KW was smart not to get this guy. Too much money for an unproven player.

Rowand will get more than that, and Fuku will likely put up a VORP just as good, if not better.

I cant believe anyone looks past the free agent signings and even brings up the HUGE Quentin acquistion as Major League. Just look at whats going on-everywhere but here. I'm mad for me, for Buehrle, and for Dye, who is probably sitting home getting madder by the minute.

Williams is a disgrace

I don't know if you live in the Chicago area, but its really a pain in the ass when the Cubs have a good team. Its freaking everywhere.

Hahaha indeed. I couldn't stand it this season.

The Packers are who I root for in the NFL and I was willing to take a defeat at the hands of the Bears as long as the Cubs were eliminated by kickoff that Sunday. Sure enough, they were. I take full credit for the Cubs sweep and Bears win because of the accord I struck with Big Guns upstairs.

You know. As Sox fans, I would love to see them keep signing guys and losing. It's funny. It's what is apart of the Sox-Cubs rivalry.

Trouble is this. We can't fault them anymore for how they've been handling business. They have built a pretty good farm. Whether it's hype or not, at least there is percieved value there. Value that may help them obtain other talent this offseason.

If they are legit prospects for a change, then more power to them. They also are willing to spend money. Lots of it.

I could only aspire to have similar qualities. I wouldn't sacrifice certain things to get there though. Things like having US Cellular turn into a Wrigley. No thanks, I'd rather not.

Maybe, just maybe, our owner and gm will live up to their words of it being a new day in Chicago. They said it would be different after we won the World Series but the only real pro-active team is looking like the Cubs. Let's hope we get back to that strategy of becoming the big team of the town and put a winning product on the field.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 11, 2007 -> 09:41 PM)

I live in the south suburbs, and have nothing but friends who are Cub fans, so I know how it gets, trust me. The media loves the Cubs and always will. I just learn to deal with it. But this by no means makes them stronger in my eyes. This guy is totally unknown, and to take a 13 million dollar a year for 4 years gamble, isn't worth it. I'm glad we didn't get into a bidding war for this guy.

KW failed last offseason, he failed last season, and he's doing awful so far this season. Can't we promote him to some higher position, and let someone else take over? Something that's killed us in our trade chances this offseason is how bad all the young arms we acquired last year have been.

Kosuke Fukudome Signs With Cubs

Dave Kaplan of WGN Radio reports that the Cubs have signed Kosuke Fukudome to a four-year deal. Kaplan says it's for about $50MM, maybe a hair more. Fukudome will be a free agent after the fourth year; there will be no arbitration.

The Cubs got their man for right field; he'll provide a strong dose of OBP. The quality of available right fielders drops off drastically after Fukudome. The deal isn't without risk, obviously, since Fukudome is untested in the Majors. Peter Gammons talked to a GM who described Fukudome as "a cross between Ichiro and a young, healthy Mark Kotsay."

No, I also know the HR manager over there at Wrigley. I said I'd be happy if the Cubs overpaid for him, and cost them going after someone like Josh Hamilton. Trust me, I'm not happy about anything right now in regards to baseball. Ask GPratt...I told him this stuff last week. I said I was sure he was going to the Cubs, and it was 100 pct trustworthy information.

Great ... then why don't you just say that, instead of all your cloak-and-dagger BS about how you'll tell the board why he'd sign with the Cubs after he signs? Who cares what you told another poster. Why don't you be more forthcoming instead of all your hide behind the curtain BS? (speaking for several board members who PM me when I stand up to your cloak and dagger crap). It's a message board. Cut the "I told you so" crap. No one's impressed.

Please tell the board what the Mitchell report will say and how it will affect the White Sox. You have been tip toeing around it for months now. Come clean, tell us what your Baseball America brother has to say about it.

To the board ... pardon my bluntness. To fathom, cut the cloak and dagger crap ... if you're going to post, spill and stop worrying about covering your ass.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 02:38 PM)
All the signs are there:

- We need a CF

- We need a leadoff hitter

- Dodgers don't want him

- Ozzie loves him

He also has 4 years left on a 36M deal.

He has a terrible noodle arm for CF, and his OBP isn't good enough for the Sox's needs for a CF. The Dodgers would need to pick up half his contract for me to consider it.

I'd even rather Podsednik back instead of acquiring Pierre (gulp).

I'd much rather target Reggie Willits in a trade.

QUOTE(frankie5angels @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 03:51 AM)
I live in the south suburbs, and have nothing but friends who are Cub fans, so I know how it gets, trust me. The media loves the Cubs and always will. I just learn to deal with it. But this by no means makes them stronger in my eyes. This guy is totally unknown, and to take a 13 million dollar a year for 4 years gamble, isn't worth it. I'm glad we didn't get into a bidding war for this guy.

Since money's not an issue for them really, isn't he an upgrade over J. Jones? Don't forget that this also means they're likely going to have more prospects to be able to land Roberts, as MacPhail seems intent on finally helping the Cubs in his MLB career.