Fukudome to the Cubs

Balta1701

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 11, 2007 -> 10:53 PM)
Have to disagree on this part. I think the Cabrera trade was and still is a good move, both individually and for the greater picture.

With all the pitching prospects that they believe they have, specifically John Denks, Gavin Floyd and Gio Gonzalez, it's not really surprising that they opened the spots for them and also freed up some $$$ from their starting rotation to address other areas.

I just wish they hadn't resigned Juan Uribe. I still don't know what the harm was in letting him become a free agent.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Dec 11, 2007 -> 11:53 PM)
How?

Money wise, it was basically (as someone pointed out) Garland for Cabrera and Linebrink, addressing two major holes. Plus even if Cabrera doesn't re-sign (and I think he may, mid-season, depending on how things go), Cabrera will fetch more picks that Garland would have.

Don't get me wrong, I still think the Sox have a shaky back end of the rotation. But overall, I think it was a positive trade.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Dec 11, 2007 -> 10:47 PM)
It's okay, fellas, this just puts the Cubs in a better position to compete with us.

I'm thinking more and more about the Garland-Cabrera trade. I'm thinking Kenny acted much too quickly. He said he had deals on the table where we would've gotten prospects back -- hell, I don't think it's a stretch to say the Sox could've gotten Milledge for Garland and somebody else (or some cash).

We're so f***ed right now. I'm gonna laugh when Kenny tries to tell the fans we're going to compete in 2008 with Jerry Owens in CF.

Linebrink ($5M a year, no-trade, 4 years, lose a 2nd round pick) and Garland for a veteran player are playing out to be pretty terrible moves. I don't know if Garland could get Milledge if NY really wanted a C and vet OF. But putting Milledge in CF would have been just a big of an upgrade as Cabrera at SS is....oh well....

Just throwin out an IMO, but I think vets like Thome and Kong and Bobby and Buehrle and Vazquez should teach the new guys how to become better hitters, starters, and relievers, as I have not seen much of this as of late. Show them the mechanics it takes to compete as a big league player and become clubhouse voices like Rowand was.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 04:56 AM)
Money wise, it was basically (as someone pointed out) Garland for Cabrera and Linebrink, addressing two major holes. Plus even if Cabrera doesn't re-sign (and I think he may, mid-season, depending on how things go), Cabrera will fetch more picks that Garland would have.

Don't get me wrong, I still think the Sox have a shaky back end of the rotation. But overall, I think it was a positive trade.

I much rather would trade for prospects that have shown ability in the minors than to pile up draft picks. As things stand right now, with Uribe and Crede still on the team, and lacking a CF, the Garland trade was a disaster. Hell, I still wish we traded him for 2 strong prospects we could have included in a deal to get Cabrera and Willis. If KW had this master plan of acquiring Hunter and Cabrera, he should have made sure he had the type of players the Marlins were looking for (catcher).

QUOTE(spiderman @ Dec 11, 2007 -> 10:57 PM)
I hadn't heard that Nathan was involved, but yeah, they'd be getting nearly every Boston top prospects.

I hadn't head it either, I'm just saying IF he was included in a BoSox deal...

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...-home-headlines

Oh please don't trade our prospects for Jason Bay. This type of article is just so depressing right now.

I love how the article is about how Jenks and Thome suggest everyone just worries about their own jobs.

Not soon after, you read Jenks talking about dealing for Bay.

Cracks me up. And don't deal for Bay unless it comes real cheap.

What happens when Rowand signs with San Diego? What does KW do then? Because he has failed time and time again this offseason and it wouldn't surprise me if failed on the guy that WANTS to play here! If that happens.. and i was Mr. Reinsdorf, i would seriously consider moving on to a new GM...

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 04:56 AM)

We don't know that the Sox are going to get picks. They're going to try their damndest to resign him.

Also... what do Linebrink and Cabrera do for us when we're making a half-assed attempt at winning in 2008? Yippie, we get 75 wins instead of 70. It would've been one thing for the Sox to have landed Hunter or Fukodome or Rowand and then made the Garland/Cabrera + Linebrink moves. But now we sit here with two of those three gone, and the Sox don't seem to want to go all-out for Rowand (which is probably the right thing to do, but when your putting up a BS facade about trying to compete in 2008, you can't have Jerry Owens starting).

I would've much rather had seen the Sox try and offer Garland for all these teams bidding on Bedard, Santana and Haren. No -- Garland is obviously nowhere near as good as any of those three. But you're telling me the Sox couldn't pull a B prospect or two (two Gio Gonzalez' circa 2007)?

Edited by CWSGuy406

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 05:01 AM)
What happens when Rowand signs with San Diego? What does KW do then? Because he has failed time and time again this offseason and it wouldn't surprise me if failed on the guy that WANTS to play here! If that happens.. and i was Mr. Reinsdorf, i would seriously consider moving on to a new GM...

If Rowand wanted to play here, he would have signed the 4 year deal we offered.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 11, 2007 -> 11:59 PM)
I much rather would trade for prospects that have shown ability in the minors than to pile up draft picks. As things stand right now, with Uribe and Crede still on the team, and lacking a CF, the Garland trade was a disaster. Hell, I still wish we traded him for 2 strong prospects we could have included in a deal to get Cabrera and Willis. If KW had this master plan of acquiring Hunter and Cabrera, he should have made sure he had the type of players the Marlins were looking for (catcher).

I see what you are saying, I just don't agree. I don't tend to agree with the tendency I often see on the board to want to go to one extreme (fire sale, load up on prospects, play the kids) or the other (buy every expensive free agent and trade target, like Hunter and Cabrera), available. I think in baseball like any other business, often times its best to make a little money now and a little later, instead of a lot now or a lot later (except in baseball, its wins, not profit). Just my take, because again, if CF is upgraded and one or two other moves go well, I think this team is NOT out of contention for the post-season, but they can still be looking decent for a few years down the road.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 05:01 AM)
We don't know that the Sox are going to offer picks. They're going to try their damndest to resign him.

Also... what do Linebrink and Cabrera do for us when we're making a half-assed attempt at winning in 2008? Yippie, we get 75 wins instead of 70. It would've been one thing for the Sox to have landed Hunter or Fukodome or Rowand and then made the Garland/Cabrera + Linebrink moves. But now we sit here with two of those three gone, and the Sox don't seem to want to go all-out for Rowand (which is probably the right thing to do, but when your putting up a BS facade about trying to compete in 2008, you can't have Jerry Owens starting).

I would've much rather had seen the Sox try and offer Garland for all these teams bidding on Bedard, Santana and Haren. No -- Garland is obviously nowhere near as good as any of those three. But you're telling me the Sox couldn't pull a B prospect or two (two Gio Gonzalez' circa 2007)?

Terrific post

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 11, 2007 -> 10:56 PM)

It may have been positive for this next year, but seeing as how nothing is coming together this offseason, the Garland trade is going to prove to be a bad trade. I just don't see how you go out and get nothing that's going to be on this team for longer than one year especially considering there are numerous teams looking for SP.

Seeing as how agressive KW has been in the past with extending guys he trades for, Orlando would be signed already if he wanted to be here. Why would he sign a 3-4 year extension for a team that is headed for disaster?

It just seems like KW doesn't have a good feel for the current market that baseball is existing in. I still cringe at the thought that he believed he would outbid everyone for T. Hunter, and that we had the prospects in our system to get Cabrera.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 12:01 AM)
We don't know that the Sox are going to get picks. They're going to try their damndest to resign him.

See my response to fathom. I don't see 2008 as a loss just yet. And besides, regarding the future, JG was going elsewhere no matter what, and I think Cabrera has a much better shot at re-signing than JG did. And this club won't have a decent internally-bred SS available until AT LEAST 2010, and that's assuming someone like Miranda or one of the teenage prodigies develop well.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 11, 2007 -> 11:08 PM)
Anyone else think we might trade Crede tomorrow, prior to the arb deadline? I know this is about Fuku, but it's the happening thread.

It would make sense, but I really don't see it.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 11, 2007 -> 11:05 PM)
See my response to fathom. I don't see 2008 as a loss just yet. And besides, regarding the future, JG was going elsewhere no matter what, and I think Cabrera has a much better shot at re-signing than JG did. And this club won't have a decent internally-bred SS available until AT LEAST 2010, and that's assuming someone like Miranda or one of the teenage prodigies develop well.

The only thing that resigning Cabrera signifies, is that KW is blind yet again, and attempts another ill-advised shot at competing.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 11, 2007 -> 11:05 PM)
It just seems like KW doesn't have a good feel for the current market that baseball is existing in.

No, for the second year in a row he has completely misjudged the resources necessary to acquire the players he wanted in trade or in free agency. It's one thing to choose to "go for it" in 2008 rather than rebuild -- I think it's the wrong decision, but whatever. But Williams hasn't even been able to go for it competently. It's harsh, but at this point the Sox just look ridiculously delusional and outclassed.