Fukudome to the Cubs

Balta1701

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 12:45 AM)
Is it really necessary to list each and every one of them? Okajima is one -- if you really believe that EVERYONE is overpaid in free agency, I'd question your thinking.

No I said give me a single instance, not list every one. Read the post.

You say Okajima. I agree that there is potential to exploit the Japanese league and grab an under-the-radar type, particularly a reliever. Even if he's unusable from now on, the Red Sox got a very good year (or half-year, really) out of him for peanuts. Good deal. But they basically just got him to be Dice-K's pal here. Didn't target him and go into the season counting on him. He so far profiles like some other Japanese relievers that come over (Shingo, anyone?). Excellent at first because of hitters' unfamiliarity with him, then not so good once they figure him out (Aug Sept ERAs of 5.06 and 8.10). With Okajima's/Saito's success, look at the deals these Japanese relievers are getting this year. Seems like there previously was the potential to get solid, quality, league average position players from Japan for a reasonable price (Tadahito, Kenji). With this Fukudome deal , I doubt that potential is there anymore.

My point (if I wasn't clear enough before), give me an instance of a free agent, an MLB vet, not getting overpaid who did not have some inury or age related concerns. Linebrink, as the top reliever on the market who was changing teams, or #2 if you consider Cordero (how do we feel about him getting $11 million a year? worth it?), is obviously going to get overpaid.

Edited by Vance Law

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 11, 2007 -> 09:19 PM)
A reason KW and the White Sox were really laying low with their interest. They knew they probably wouldn't be able to hang with the Cubs for this guy. Does this mean KW now overpays for Rowand and claims he was the main target all along?

I am afraid you may be right and If that happens the off season is a total disaster. :stick

QUOTE(Vance Law @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 12:16 AM)
Thank you. Of course he's overpaid. He was a free agent. I'm still waiting for anyone to give one single instance of a free agent (without injury concerns) not getting overpaid.

This is right. I think the reason that folks often say that a team "overpaid" is because they compare to whatever contracts were given the year before. But the market increases every SINGLE year -- no matter what Kenny Williams thinks. That's why you can look back and see guys like Reggie Jackson and Joe Rudi, in the first free agent crop, getting about $500,000 a year. That seems silly now. And it's because we understand, intuitively, that the market increases. In fact, the only time that the market didn't increase was 1987 -- and the reason was collusion.

That doesn't mean that there aren't bad signings. But there's risk in almost any enterprise.

So -- you either go along, or you build another way. But if you're a GM or an owner, you don't whine about it. You don't like it? Find another line of work.

QUOTE(Soxfest @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 01:19 AM)
I am afraid you may be right and If that happens the off season is a total disaster. :stick

The one and only thing that has been tough this offseason is Cabrera landing on a division rival. Not our not getting him- that was never expected. I have no problems with any of the moves Williams has made or not made.

QUOTE(Vance Law @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 01:28 AM)
The one and only thing that has been tough this offseason is Cabrera landing on a division rival. Not our not getting him- that was never expected. I have no problems with any of the moves Williams has made or not made.

The problem really isn't this offseason, it's the entire pathetic history of KW as GM in regards to our farm system, and the simultaneous aging of our major league roster while having no said farm system to replenish talent.

QUOTE(Friend of Nordhagen @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 01:26 AM)
This is right. I think the reason that folks often say that a team "overpaid" is because they compare to whatever contracts were given the year before. But the market increases every SINGLE year -- no matter what Kenny Williams thinks. That's why you can look back and see guys like Reggie Jackson and Joe Rudi, in the first free agent crop, getting about $500,000 a year. That seems silly now. And it's because we understand, intuitively, that the market increases. In fact, the only time that the market didn't increase was 1987 -- and the reason was collusion.

That doesn't mean that there aren't bad signings. But there's risk in almost any enterprise.

So -- you either go along, or you build another way. But if you're a GM or an owner, you don't whine about it. You don't like it? Find another line of work.

And this brings me to my key phrase when I tell my friends who whine about their boyfriends/girlfriends. "You dont have to like it, you just have to accept it".

QUOTE(Vance Law @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 01:28 AM)

Sox are still 10 plus games worse than Det or Clev, this off season has been terrible glad you have no problems with any of the moves Williams has made or not made enjoy it!

Edited by Soxfest

When every single CF signs and is "over paid" guess what? That's the market. That isn't overpaid, that is the current price. Anderson and count the money! :headbang Rest easy we're in fourth place but haven't signed any bad contracts ;)

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 08:24 AM)

The funny thing about that headline is, the only reason Hendry has "deep pockets" is that he is spending someone else's money. Its an odd position to be in, but there it is. He basically has NO pockets, just a pile of phantom cash to spend. The next owner of the Cubs is going to face some awful choices in a couple years - raise ticket prices in a huge way, or become the Baltimore Orioles, saddled with those long term, overpaying contracts.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 08:17 AM)
When every single CF signs and is "over paid" guess what? That's the market. That isn't overpaid, that is the current price. Anderson and count the money! :headbang Rest easy we're in fourth place but haven't signed any bad contracts ;)

To put some more wood on the fire, Steve Stone said Cleveland is the frontrunner for Haren.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 08:19 AM)
The funny thing about that headline is, the only reason Hendry has "deep pockets" is that he is spending someone else's money. Its an odd position to be in, but there it is. He basically has NO pockets, just a pile of phantom cash to spend. The next owner of the Cubs is going to face some awful choices in a couple years - raise ticket prices in a huge way, or become the Baltimore Orioles, saddled with those long term, overpaying contracts.

They jacked up ticket prices over 20% this year, but because they had their playoff money in and only 1 playoff game was played at home, Cub fans didn't notice. The White Sox raised prices after a horrible year. They really have their work cut out for them.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 01:10 AM)
Someone needs to find the Japanese representation for 1908 for the new cubs suck shirts this year.

How about these?

100年間の無益 100 Years Of Futility

この場所は尿のように臭いがする This Place Smells Like Urine

そのホームレスの人はなぜ私達のユニフォームを身に着けているか。 Why Is That Homeless Man Wearing Our Uniform?

廃物との私に当ってはいけない Please Don't Hit Me With Garbage

来年まで待ちなさい Wait Til Next Year

:D

Levine just stated that the Rangers made the best offer at over $50 million, while the Sox and Cubs both came in at 4/$48 million. Apparently, Fukudome wanted to play RF. Out of respect for Jermaine Dye, he did not want to cause Jermaine to play a different position on account of him. Basically, it sounds as if he did not want to play CF for us. Another factor was that he wanted to be the first Japanese player to play for the Cubs. Thus, he requested uniform #1.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 09:35 AM)
Levine just stated that the Rangers made the best offer at over $50 million, while the Sox and Cubs both came in at 4/$48 million. Apparently, Fukudome wanted to play RF. Out of respect for Jermaine Dye, he did not want to cause Jermaine to play a different position on account of him. Basically, it sounds as if he did not want to play CF for us. Another factor was that he wanted to be the first Japanese player to play for the Cubs. Thus, he requested uniform #1.

At this point, it probably would have benefitted JD to move to left field.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 08:19 AM)
The funny thing about that headline is, the only reason Hendry has "deep pockets" is that he is spending someone else's money. Its an odd position to be in, but there it is. He basically has NO pockets, just a pile of phantom cash to spend.

All this talk about Jim Hendry's pockets is disturbing.

Sorry, but this actual description of events (if it is true) isn't going to sell newspapers.

Let's go with "Sox swing and miss again!!- Cubs have Deepest Pockets!! (Cubs do not actually have deepest pockets)"

Edited by Vance Law

Another factor was that he wanted to be the first Japanese player to play for the Cubs. Thus, he requested uniform #1.

Another player who for some reason believes that the Cubs have a rich tradition. To most of these guys, that's what not winning a pennant in 60 years means. I've never understood this, and I never will. I must go to sleep now.

QUOTE(Friend of Nordhagen @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 03:48 PM)
Another player who for some reason believes that the Cubs have a rich tradition. To most of these guys, that's what not winning a pennant in 60 years means. I've never understood this, and I never will. I must go to sleep now.

Cubs have been selling him the endorsement possibilities for months.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 10:35 AM)

Interesting. If he was set on RF, and the Sox are set with Dye and Quentin on the corners, then I guess Fuku was never a realistic option anyway. I am glad KW gave it a shot though.

I'll be curious to see what some posters here who have been saying this was because KW sucks and JR wouldn't spend the money have to say about THIS situation.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 09:49 AM)
So let me get this straight: Fukudome doesn't want to play CF, and he wanted to be the first Japanese player on the Cubs. So why did we even offer him a contract?

His agent probably didnt state that. He wanted to get as many offers in as possible, create a frenzy and get the most attractive situation for his client. Well we offered the same amount of money. My thoughts are that the marketing money is what won for the Cubs. Anytime you have a player wanting to take the number "1" because he is the first japanese player to play for the franchise you have yourself a guy who wants to make other monies outside of his contract.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 10:49 AM)
So let me get this straight: Fukudome doesn't want to play CF, and he wanted to be the first Japanese player on the Cubs. So why did we even offer him a contract?

Oh now come on. You say KW needs to be fired for not getting him, now you want to know why even offered him a contract? Give it a break.

As with M-Cab, its always worth it to take a shot, even if you know you are long odds to get it.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 03:52 PM)
Oh now come on. You say KW needs to be fired for not getting him, now you want to know why even offered him a contract? Give it a break.

As with M-Cab, its always worth it to take a shot, even if you know you are long odds to get it.

I never said KW should be fired for not getting Fuku (it's the rest of the offseason and last year and a half which is troublnig). I never thought he'd get him, and it appears that there wouldn't have been a match even if we did offer the most money. I think some of the facts that Levine states might not be accurate, that's all I'm saying.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 10:55 AM)
I never said KW should be fired for not getting Fuku (it's the rest of the offseason and last year and a half which is troublnig). I never thought he'd get him, and it appears that there wouldn't have been a match even if we did offer the most money. I think some of the facts that Levine states might not be accurate, that's all I'm saying.

I certainly agree that Levine may not be 100% reliable.

I just think its laughable the reaction in here to us not getting him. Upset, I get - I was too. I wanted him on the Sox. But immediately assuming that because he didn't sign with the Sox that it was because KW/JR were too cheap or too incompetent, without even knowing anything about the signing, was just absurd. And it now appears that he wasn't going to the Sox in any case.