Fukudome to the Cubs

Balta1701

QUOTE(spiderman @ Dec 11, 2007 -> 10:38 PM)
I don't think he'll be near that level in Year 1 after that surgery, and if they trade Santana, that's clearly a youth movement preparing for the 2010 season in their new stadium.

Makes sense. If they aren't going to win in 2008, and Santana isn't going to re-sign, they might as well get players that will be there for 5 or 6 years for him. It still boggles my mind Boston was hung up on not giving up Ellsbury in a trade for him. Santana, Beckett, Dice-k and Bucholz would be tough to beat.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 11, 2007 -> 10:40 PM)
Makes sense. If they aren't going to win in 2008, and Santana isn't going to re-sign, they might as well get players that will be there for 5 or 6 years for him. It still boggles my mind Boston was hung up on not giving up Ellsbury in a trade for him. Santana, Beckett, Dice-k and Bucholz would be tough to beat.

Not to mention Curt Schilling as an inning eater for at least one more season.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 11, 2007 -> 10:40 PM)

Agreed. Barring injuries, Boston would have been nearly unstoppable, and I have no idea how a 1-2 playoff combination of Beckett/Santana would lose a series.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 11, 2007 -> 10:32 PM)
Twins still have Santana. With him, they're easily better than the Sox are right now. Hopefully they'll trade him and Nathan prior to the year.

I much rather they keep both, to be honest. If Nathan or Santana are gone perhaps we'll have a legitimate shot for 3rd place, but Minnesota will just be beginning their rebuilding project -- with legitimate prospects no doubt-- one year sooner.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 11, 2007 -> 10:41 PM)
You think they will be keeping Santana around? Or extending him? Its possible, but it seems unlikely to me.

What's sad is Pohlad has more money than anyone. I think they will deal him. They should be real good in a couple of years. It kind of reminds me of when Cleveland rebuilt and dealt Colon. I think the Twins have a head start on that team.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 11, 2007 -> 10:38 PM)
Because they are set in the OF, and are probably saving some room on the payroll for Santana.

It doesn't matter to those teams if they are set in the outfield or not. If the guy was thought of as a can't miss type of guy who was gonna come here and be a stud, both the Red Sox and the Yankees would have made a play for him. Money is no object to them.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 11, 2007 -> 10:41 PM)
You think they will be keeping Santana around? Or extending him? Its possible, but it seems unlikely to me.

I don't think there's any way Santana is resigned there. He has turned down a few offers already. I'm still expecting him to be traded before spring training.

QUOTE(frankie5angels @ Dec 11, 2007 -> 10:45 PM)
It doesn't matter to those teams if they are set in the outfield or not. If the guy was thought of as a can't miss type of guy who was gonna come here and be a stud, both the Red Sox and the Yankees would have made a play for him. Money is no object to them.

How come they didn't get Ichiro? What about Miguel Cabrera? Torii Hunter? Why aren't they after Aaron Rowand?

Edited by Dick Allen

It's okay, fellas, this just puts the Cubs in a better position to compete with us.

I'm thinking more and more about the Garland-Cabrera trade. I'm thinking Kenny acted much too quickly. He said he had deals on the table where we would've gotten prospects back -- hell, I don't think it's a stretch to say the Sox could've gotten Milledge for Garland and somebody else (or some cash).

We're so f***ed right now. I'm gonna laugh when Kenny tries to tell the fans we're going to compete in 2008 with Jerry Owens in CF.

QUOTE(frankie5angels @ Dec 11, 2007 -> 10:45 PM)

The Red Sox and Yankees OF are stacked. Not just filled, but stacked in talent. They each have far greater needs than another OF.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Dec 11, 2007 -> 10:46 PM)
I don't think there's any way Santana is resigned there. He has turned down a few offers already. I'm still expecting him to be traded before spring training.

They don't want to resign him for how much he wants now and its not like he would give them a discount. Plus why not get 1-2 amazing prospects and 1-2 major league ready players for him?

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Dec 11, 2007 -> 10:47 PM)
It's okay, fellas, this just puts the Cubs in a better position to compete with us.

I'm thinking more and more about the Garland-Cabrera trade. I'm thinking Kenny acted much too quickly. He said he had deals on the table where we would've gotten prospects back -- hell, I don't think it's a stretch to say the Sox could've gotten Milledge for Garland and somebody else (or some cash).

We're so f***ed right now. I'm gonna laugh when Kenny tries to tell the fans we're going to compete in 2008 with Jerry Owens in CF.

The plan will soon be revealed.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 04:47 AM)

No kidding....he really messed that up, especially considering Cabrera won't sign an extension.

QUOTE(jenks45monster @ Dec 11, 2007 -> 10:47 PM)
They don't want to resign him for how much he wants now and its not like he would give them a discount. Plus why not get 1-2 amazing prospects and 1-2 major league ready players for him?

I agree. Also consider that they will get more top minor league talent for Nathan, and this is a team that is potentially loaded once these guys get some experience in the majors, and we know their solid reputation for developing talent.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Dec 11, 2007 -> 11:47 PM)

Have to disagree on this part. I think the Cabrera trade was and still is a good move, both individually and for the greater picture.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 04:50 AM)
No kidding....he really messed that up, especially considering Cabrera won't sign an extension.

I hope Cabrera is smart enough to look at the division and see he's not going to win a division title with this club in the next few seasons. You know the Sox are going to do their best to resign another 30 year-old player in Cabrera. I'll support the trade if the Sox play out this season and offer Cabrera arbitration (he's almost assuredly going to be a type-A free agent).

Also, 4/$48 for Fuko. Let the lambasting begin (or continue).

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 11, 2007 -> 10:50 PM)

That's a really interesting aspect of that Cabrera trade. I'm not sure if there are better options available next off-season OR if Kenny Williams really believes that he'll get him locked up, but we could find ourselves looking for another SS next season.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Dec 11, 2007 -> 10:51 PM)
I agree. Also consider that they will get more top minor league talent for Nathan, and this is a team that is potentially loaded once these guys get some experience in the majors, and we know their solid reputation for developing talent.

If Nathan was included in a BoSox deal they would probably include Ellsbury and Lester/ Buchholz plus 1 or 2 mlb ready players.