Ryan Wing signs with Oakland organization

Calderon

QUOTE(Calderon @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 09:59 AM)
From today's USA Today:

OAKLAND ATHLETICS-Assigned LHP Jay Marshall outright to Sacramento (PCL). Agreed to terms with LHP Ryan Wing on minor league contract.

Damn. I was hoping he'd stick around - looked to me like he might have been getting back his form.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 09:38 AM)
Oakland loves the White Sox farm system.

They could conceivably roll three guys out of the bullpen next season that were, or should have been, in Birmingham in '07.

Wing is a California guy right? A move to the West Coast is certainly an improvement for him then.

QUOTE(Calderon @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 11:05 AM)
They could conceivably roll three guys out of the bullpen next season that were, or should have been, in Birmingham in '07.

Wing is a California guy right? A move to the West Coast is certainly an improvement for him then.

Actually, if you look at Wing's outings last year, they put him the rotation at B-Ham, and were slowly upping his innings each outing (testing to see if he had the strength to start again no doubt). He actually did better as the year went on and he got more innings. So I was thinking that, especially if the Sox traded away any of the Charlotte starters of '08 (guys like Gio, Eggy, Sisco, Masset, Haeger, etc.), that Wing might actually be the #5 starter at AAA. Oh well.

QUOTE(max power @ Dec 13, 2007 -> 01:25 AM)
Unlike what seems to be every soxtalk member

oh we love the relief prospects. Like the Fabio Castro's, Jay Marshall's, Fernando Hernandez's; we just don't like that Ryan Sweeney is the best offensive prospect, and that I'm not sure I can truthfully name another offensive prospect who is actually considered good (Shelby, maybe? Cuz I'm not about to include Getz in on this)

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Dec 14, 2007 -> 03:39 AM)
oh we love the relief prospects. Like the Fabio Castro's, Jay Marshall's, Fernando Hernandez's; we just don't like that Ryan Sweeney is the best offensive prospect, and that I'm not sure I can truthfully name another offensive prospect who is actually considered good (Shelby, maybe? Cuz I'm not about to include Getz in on this)

I like to think Bourgeois could be a major league player, but he's a bit old to call a prospect. Shelby perhaps. And I personally think that Sergio Miranda may turn out to be something. Plus there are some guys way down in Rookie ball that its too early to tell.

Not an impressive list of position player prospects.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 14, 2007 -> 09:49 AM)
I like to think Bourgeois could be a major league player, but he's a bit old to call a prospect. Shelby perhaps. And I personally think that Sergio Miranda may turn out to be something. Plus there are some guys way down in Rookie ball that its too early to tell.

Not an impressive list of position player prospects.

I agree on Bourgeois on both accounts; I don't consider a guy who would only start on a very bad team to be a prospect, but as a guy who seems to have the ceiling of a utility player, he may make it.