So now what?

soxfan3530

With Rowand and Fukodome off the market, the Sox two possible free agent targets are gone. So the question is, where do the sox go from here? Make some trades and get the likes of coco crisp, etc. I think most wil agreee that will do little good. We can't blow up this team and trade away our veterans for young talent. Too many no-trade clauses, big contracts and decling talent to go that route. I know the signing of Fuko and/or Rowand probably would not have turned the Sox into a legitimate contender, but now where does KW turn? How the hell do we get out of this mess and be able to compete in a couple of years?

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 03:14 PM)
Kenny Lofton for 1 year. I guess.

Hopefully the regular season is better than this offseaon.

How about we let the kids play in CF if we cant improve it. The benefit of picking up a Lofton doesnt overshadow the missing development time of some of our kids.

ideally, we ship out old farts like konerko, AJ, Dye, and Thome. This way can can re-stock the farm system. And by 2010, we'll be ready to play again. Especially since by 2009 or 2010 Fields and Quentin will be BEASTS.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 03:17 PM)
How about we let the kids play in CF if we cant improve it. The benefit of picking up a Lofton doesnt overshadow the missing development time of some of our kids.

I just don't think Jerry Owens, Brian Anderson or Sweeney are our future. I think we get some like Lofton for a year and try to get a lead off hitter and CF next year. Again.

Edited by GoSox05

Owens, I think, will be a fine utility/4th outfielder in the big leagues. Anderson...LOL. i'll just leave it at that. but Sweeney, Quentin, and Fields are keepers. Richar probably is too but time will tell. I think we should replace AJ with a young C who can throw base stealers out with ease. I think Vazquez and Buehrle are a great 1-2 punch that will allow the white sox to stay out of the basement and compete against the best teams in baseball when either Buehrle or Vazquez take the mound on that given day.

KW should trade off the old players when the time is right. Hopefully, they'll all have great 1st halfs so we can get some serious talent in return. Odds are the Yanks or Red Sox will come a knockin for Thome, Dye, or Konerko since the Tigers seem to have the best lineup/offense in baseball.

QUOTE(soxfan3530 @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 03:10 PM)
With Rowand and Fukodome off the market, the Sox two possible free agent targets are gone. So the question is, where do the sox go from here? Make some trades and get the likes of coco crisp, etc. I think most wil agreee that will do little good. We can't blow up this team and trade away our veterans for young talent. Too many no-trade clauses, big contracts and decling talent to go that route. I know the signing of Fuko and/or Rowand probably would not have turned the Sox into a legitimate contender, but now where does KW turn? How the hell do we get out of this mess and be able to compete in a couple of years?

Maybe we can trade Beurhle to the Rangers for Milton Bradley. :fight

this might be a good time, winter meetings, to ship Paulie off to Anaheim in a trade centering around Chone Figgins and prospects (Ervin Santana, ect.). The Angels have 6 starting pitchers right now as they were positioning themselves for a Miguel Caberera trade but since that fell though, LA is still looking to make a move in order to add more pop to that line up.

Edited by DonnyDevito

KW has dropped the ball big time. No way you can let this many players out of your finger tips.

LOL, if the all these players you talk about Konerko, Thome, AJ have good first halfs and KW trades them away everybody on this board will be bi**ing twice as much. I can hear the White Flag cries all over again. I say keep em all, lets ride this ship out.

LOL, if the all these players you talk about Konerko, Thome, AJ have good first halfs and KW trades them away everybody on this board will be bi**ing twice as much. I can hear the White Flag cries all over again. I say keep em all, lets ride this ship out.

Kenny Williams, is that you?

it wouldn't be a white flag trade given Floyd, Danks, Fields, Quentin, Richar, Owens, ect. are all starting. Clearly there is a youth movement going on and it appears one of Cabrera's main roles will be to mentor Danny Richar.

Time to play the kids. Trade Crede now and bring in some prospects. Let Fields play everyday at 3B and develop. Let Richar play everyday at 2B and develop. Let Quentin/Sweeney play everyday in LF and develop, let Owen/Anderson play everyday in CF and develop. Buehrle, Dye, Thome, Konerko, AJ aren't going anywhere the sox still need to put butts in the seats and create revenue streams. You can dump Uribe hes worthless. See what your guys can do and re-evaluate after 2008. The division for 2009 might look very very different. Santana, Sabathia, Nathan, Rogers are free agents. Pudge, Sheffield, and Renteria are all have their contracts up. If there is anytime to go for it, its 2009, and I think someone should remind KW of this.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 01:34 PM)
So let me get this straight. You people who are b****ing thought that we were going to sign rowand, and he was going to be the difference between 4th place and a contending team? When did the intelligence level of this board drop off so suddenly?

I have been waiting patiently to see how the Sox planned on contending. I can't figure out how they do so without having a great lineup and to do that they need a Cfer and a leadoff hitter. They still can find that but the options are getting much thinner and they will probably cost the Sox one of the few quality prospects they have (if not multiple ones).

Kenny is going to have to get real creative if he plans on contending.

I was always for more of a rebuilding mode but I have always said it was unrealistic since the Sox are still banking on the World Series revenue and whether we like it or not are going to be going balls out for at least one more season (the problem is based on the last couple days it looks more and more likely that the team is going to end up stuck being content with a .500 type of ball club and it isn't a .500 ball club that is on the up-swing, rather a .500 club on the downswing).

Kenny Williams, is that you?

it wouldn't be a white flag trade given Floyd, Danks, Fields, Quentin, Richar, Owens, ect. are all starting. Clearly there is a youth movement going on and it appears one of Cabrera's main roles will be to mentor Danny Richar.

If the veterans are having a good season and the Sox are within five games of a playoff spot, would you still want to trade them for prospects? Sure there is a youth movement but they're also surrounded by proven vets. Clearly some of these young guys need to step it up and play there positions but it's possible they could contend with this team now.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 05:34 PM)
So let me get this straight. You people who are b****ing thought that we were going to sign rowand, and he was going to be the difference between 4th place and a contending team? When did the intelligence level of this board drop off so suddenly?

Well said.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 03:34 PM)

First off, I am ecstatic that they didn't sign Rowand. However, not signing Rowand is merely symbolic of how badly the off season has been going. We have been fed the "we're going for it" crap all off season. It's apparent now, that this "going for it" was either A) muffed or B) horribly planned (as our "solution" to CF is still out there that no one can see). 43 days till Soxfest. Bring your cameras and tape recorders.

QUOTE(DonnyDevito @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 03:11 PM)
CF Owens

SS Cabrera

DH Thome

1B Konerko

RF Dye

3B Fields

C Pierzynski

LF Quentin

2B Richar

that's what now.

Wow, and Aaron Rowand in that lineup instaed of Owens would makes SUCH A HUGE DIFFERENCE.

Come on, $12 million per for AARON ROWAND? Get real people!

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 03:57 PM)
Wow, and Aaron Rowand in that lineup instaed of Owens would makes SUCH A HUGE DIFFERENCE.

Come on, $12 million per for AARON ROWAND? Get real people!

Look at the Torii Hunter deal and then look at both players career stats. 12 million in this market is a steal for Aaron.