White Sox Acquire Nick Swisher from Athletics

Steve9347

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 08:57 PM)
Agreed. Santana may not have lived up to his potential, but I like him over Floyd in a second.

so you are going to trade paul konerko for a pitcher that is slightly better than floyd? Come on.

• Replies 687
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(bmags @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 02:53 PM)
honestly when you are playing in US cellular field why the hell wouldn't you build a power team?

Let me preface this by saying I dont want Owens in the lineup. The bantam weight speed guy is one of the annoyances of this team.

But you build a team around balance. Building a team that has power in the middle of the lineup, followed up by a lot of guys who can hit doubles would play very well at this park. Having a large amount of high power, high strikeout guys make for some really nice 11 run games followed up by a 0 run, 2 hit, 12 strikeout corpseball effort where everyone is trying to hit the majestic home run when we need a single late in the game to drive in the guy from second. The wind from the bats missing the ball, and the players making the ooh I just missed it face when they fall to one knee after striking out on a low and away pitch makes me shudder.

Dont worry, with Walk and the park Swish will hit himself some home runs.

Holy crap, you leave for 2 hours to set up an experiment and KW does it again. Why is it every time I leave the screen for a few hours this happens?

Reaction: I'm iffy on the deal, solely because of DLS. I had him in my head thought to be a potential top of the rotation guy in 2-3 years. Gio and Sweeney I could understand completely in this deal, but on paper I'm worried about giving up that one specific piece. I think that others probably have to be right that the team must not have been as high on DLS as some of us were, because otherwise this is a hard deal to stomach.

Bureau?

QUOTE(BearSox @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 03:47 PM)
so, what's our lineup?

1. Cabrera, SS

2. Swisher, CF

3. Thome, DH

4. Konerko, 1B

5. Dye, RF

6. Fields, 3B

7. Pierzynski, C

8. Quentin, LF

9. Richar/Ramirez, 2B

looks like we will live or die by the home run, once again.

1. Ramirez, 2B

2. Cabrera, SS

3. Thome, DH

4. Konerko, 1B

5. Dye, RF

6. Swisher, CF

7. Pierzynski, C

8. Fields, 3B

9. Quentin, LF

more likely.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 08:59 PM)
Let me preface this by saying I dont want Owens in the lineup. The bantam weight speed guy is one of the annoyances of this team.

But you build a team around balance. Building a team that has power in the middle of the lineup, followed up by a lot of guys who can hit doubles would play very well at this park. Having a large amount of high power, high strikeout guys make for some really nice 11 run games followed up by a 0 run, 2 hit, 12 strikeout corpseball effort where everyone is trying to hit the majestic home run when we need a single late in the game to drive in the guy from second. The wind from the bats missing the ball, and the players making the ooh I just missed it face when they fall to one knee after striking out on a low and away pitch makes me shudder.

Dont worry, with Walk and the park Swish will hit himself some home runs.

see, i agree if your power hitters are like crede that get you 25 dingers but are getting on at a .315 clip, but when they are getting on base + hitting power like we think quentin will do and know swish will do, it's a lot different type of player than the uribe and crede power hitters we had. Fields is that type of hitter, but i can tolerate it hitting 7th, you know.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 04:02 PM)
Ramirez will not be starting for this team on opening day, unless Richar loses a leg or something.

Who's your leadoff hitter then? Richar?

Cabrera's not a leadoff guy, Swisher's not either.

I chose Ramirez because of his speed.

QUOTE(bmags @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 02:57 PM)
wouldn't we all, bearsox? But we don't, and when we make a move like this to greatly improve a position on this team for the next 5 years, how is that different than having a all star potential OF waiting in the wings? I think in the next few years our new scouting dept. will have this team suited well to have impact players coming in about 2011. So i'm not worried about moving these spects for a legitimate hitter. The point of having a farm system is so you can nab guys like this. Now we have a legitimate OF for the first time since ... maybe 04 i guess. Now we have the #8 pick in the draft and a new scouting dept. what's the point of keeping guys that weren't that highly thought of anyways for a really good hitter?

correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't we hire someone we fired before as Shaffer's replacement? And if I recall, his drafts sucked as well.

Just an exercise...no particular order implied here.

Cabrera - 8 home runs

Swisher - 25 home runs

Thome - 40 home runs

Konerko - 30 home runs

Dye - 30 home runs

Fields - 30 home runs

Pierzynski - 10 home runs

Quentin - 25 home runs?

Richar - 10 home runs

Being pretty conservative overall except assuming a full season for Thome...That right there would come to 208 home runs.

QUOTE(knightni @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 03:04 PM)
Who's your leadoff hitter then? Richar?

Cabrera's not a leadoff guy, Swisher's not either.

I chose Ramirez because of his speed.

Well s***, let's just stick Carl Lewis out there, he's fast too...

My dream would be for Swisher to hit 2nd, he'd kill there... that means Cabrera hits 1, unfortunately.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 03:05 PM)

Cabrera - 8 home runs

Swisher - 25 home runs

Thome - 40 home runs

Konerko - 30 home runs

Dye - 30 home runs

Fields - 30 home runs

Quentin - 25 home runs?

Richar - 10 home runs

Being pretty conservative overall except assuming a full season for Thome...That right there would come to 208 home runs.

The least of this teams worries is power. We haven't had to worry about power for a while now. I'd like a little more speed in the lineup but this team is going to score some runs, I just don't think they're going to be able to prevent them very well.

QUOTE(bmags @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 04:05 PM)
yeah but, he's not ready/may not be good.

In my opinion, Ramirez has to be at least as good as Owens. You can't play for Cuba's national team if you aren't at minimum a platoon mlb-level guy.

Plus, he has a better arm than Owens.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 01:07 PM)
The least of this teams worries is power. We haven't had to worry about power for a while now. I'd like a little more speed in the lineup but this team is going to score some runs, I just don't think they're going to be able to prevent them very well.

Well, defensively, Fields is a question mark, but Cabrera is an exclamation point. Konerko is solid, Richar is solid and could be very good. Dye is weak, Quentin I really don't know, and Swisher I really don't know. So on defense we are sorta hanging a lot on Cabrera to be our stud aren't we?

well, I personally would try and trade Dye for either pitching depth or a leadoff hitter...

1. speedy guy who can put up an OBP of at least .340 with decent D, CF

2. Cabrera, SS

3. Swisher, LF

4. Thome, DH

5. Konerko, 1B

6. Fields, 3B

7. Pierzynski, C

8. Quentin, RF

9. Richar/Ramirez, 2B

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 01:05 PM)

Cabrera - 8 home runs

Swisher - 25 home runs

Thome - 40 home runs

Konerko - 30 home runs

Dye - 30 home runs

Fields - 30 home runs

Quentin - 25 home runs?

Richar - 10 home runs

25Hr's for Quentin may be pushing it a bit. I think he's capable of doing that, but even at his peak I don't see him as much more than 30 HR guy. I'd probably push more towards 17-20 HR's in the CY. However, I think on other guys you were relatively conservative.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 03:09 PM)
Well, defensively, Fields is a question mark, but Cabrera is an exclamation point. Konerko is solid, Richar is solid and could be very good. Dye is weak, Quentin I really don't know, and Swisher I really don't know. So on defense we are sorta hanging a lot on Cabrera to be our stud aren't we?

Ya, pretty much. I wasn't even really talking about defense, though you make a good point. I'm just extremely worried about this teams starting pitching.

QUOTE(bmags @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 08:58 PM)
so you are going to trade paul konerko for a pitcher that is slightly better than floyd? Come on.

I'm not saying Santana is going to be a Cy Young winner but i think he could be a nice #3 or #4 guy which would fit well with MB and Javier. Besides....apparently it's a forgone conclusion (reading this board) that both Danks and Floyd are going to suck so you have to have someone pitch....and as an added bonus..I'd like to see Figgins in CF and at the top of our lineup.

1.Figgins

2.Cabrera

3.Thome

4.Dye

5.Swisher

6.Crede

7.A.J.

8.Fields

9.Richar/Uribe

QUOTE(bmags @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 03:07 PM)
we've also redone the entire scouting dept. from what 29&poplar has told us, including spending much more money on LA scouting.

can I get a link of where he said that? If we got some of the LA scouts, I'd have a little more faith...